Wargames WOPR case

HCP

I have been watching the movie and LED sequences for a month, frame by frame i wrote down wich LED was on when, and with wich others.

i have a pretty good feeling about the pattern from the movie.

From this i have made "clusters" that contain 200-400 LED´s each, they are placed on a programmable LED board, its basically ON and OFF for different clusters for different times.

Here´s how it works.

RED - cluster 1

BLUE - cluster 2

GREEN - cluster 3

YELLOW - cluster 4

And so on. (colors are just identifiers for the different clusters, not the LED color)

The clusters contains both yellow and red LED´s and have their own specific location.

Each (except for two, one always lit, one always off) clusters get lights on for X milliseconds, X is different for each clusters of LED´s and all this together gives the nice blinking and lightshow on the WOPR

This work, to find what color goes where, wich led is lit togheter wich others, their speed and location and so on took me a month.

But, after i tried to just do some random blinking, it didnt look right, so i got stuck in perfection. I want my WOPR to be a small version of the WOPR in the movie, not a random christmas light flash-thingy.

LED positions/groups on the panels are 99% identical with the original, when AT & T made a replica, they didnt care about that detail, i will though :)

I have about 35 of the pics below, the example shows about 1/8 of the panel, each containing the ~1400 leds in different modes. + a layout for what color goes where.

ledclusters.jpg

I have been watching the movie and LED sequences for a month, frame by frame i wrote down wich LED was on when, and with wich others.

From this i have made "clusters" that contain 200-400 LED´s each, they are placed on a programmable LED board, its basically ON and OFF for different clusters for different times.

Here´s how it works.

RED - cluster 1

BLUE - cluster 2

GREEN - cluster 3

YELLOW - cluster 4

And so on. (colors are just identifiers for the different clusters, not the LED color)

The clusters contains both yellow and red LED´s and have their own specific location.

Each (except for two, one always lit, one always off) clusters get lights on for X milliseconds, X is different for each clusters of LED´s and all this together gives the nice blinking and lightshow on the WOPR

This work, to find what color goes where, wich led is lit togheter wich others, their speed and location and so on took me a month.

But, after i tried to just do some random blinking, it didnt look right, so i got stuck in perfection. I want my WOPR to be a small version of the WOPR in the movie, not a random christmas light flash-thingy.

LED positions/groups on the panels are 99% identical with the original, when AT & T made a replica, they didnt care about that detail, i will though :)

I have about 35 of the pics below, the example shows about 1/8 of the panel, each containing the ~1400 leds in different modes. + a layout for what color goes where.

ledclusters.jpg

HOLY S***!! Well you just redefined my conception of commitment :)

Here´s how it works.

RED - cluster 1

BLUE - cluster 2

GREEN - cluster 3

YELLOW - cluster 4

ledclusters.jpg

Well, if i do a WOPR i thought to do it properly :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have stopped using my white plastic and moved to acrylic, more rigid and not flopping around when sanded. The styrene is to saggy to use in a case this big.

Its gettin´ taller!

I have three fans in the case, on on either side of it, on pulling and the other pushing, one side have double setup (where the rad is).

Both fans are hidden behind a panel and push/pull air trough a duct in front of it. I have made some tests with cardboard just to see the flow and cooling capacity and its plenty good for my purposes. Tested with 100% cpuload in 4hrs and a H60 cooler.

I didnt want any visible fans, im all focused on making it really really look like a smaller version of the real WOPR :)

The small tabs behind the rounded corner on the acrylic is temporary there when gluing, to get nice straight corners. otherwise they will hit the motherboard :)

First pic, case rising to the skies.

This is the back side with IO-plate cutout. You also see the fan hole that later is hidden.

SAM_0002_zps82176239.jpg

Pic two

Here is the cover over the fan on the left side of the case.

Other side have the same type of panel.

SAM_0004_zps8fe72032.jpg

Here is how the real WOPR looks like at almost the same angle :)

11_zpsd7e9585d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, great start, can't wait to see your progress on that build!

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

PC: i7 3770K - G1.Sniper M3 - 8GB Kingston HyperX Red - Asus DirectCU2 GTX660Ti - BeQuiet 530W Modular PSU - 128GB Crucial M4 - 1TB Samsung storage HDD

• 2 weeks later...

Getting there :)

Now i have 4 big parts of the case and time to glue all together to make it 2 parts, top and bottom :)

A early stage... had got some protests on showing it without atleast primer on, you guys can close your eyes now :P

wopr34_zps15446e33.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting, can't wait to see the finished build (like many others)!

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

Any news?

I´m soldering all 1400+ LED´s right now, nothing much to show in a build log :)

Need to take a brake soon, so in the next couple of days i will finish the case and put on the first layer of primer to find all spots need bondo/putty.

This is looking really good my friend... can't wait to see updates

got to love Asus components

This looks completely amazing. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Thanks guys!

Im into doing cases noone have done before, i want to be unique :)

Dont miss my other project, the CRAY supercomputer replica -> http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/the-workbench/build-logs/137962-cray-c916-supercomputer-scratch-build-nas-case

• 1 month later...

Its time to wake up "Joshua" again and welcome him to this world :)

Tired of soldering now for some time, gotta get the case done to see how all parts fit together inside!

Keep watching!

• 3 months later...
Current status, its bondo time.

Tonight i tried to get the shape of the "tower" 100% but whatever i did, it didnt look right.

Until i cut a inch from the length, then the tower fit and all proportions is 90% spot on.

I have some strange thing with the tower, it looks too wide, but really isnt too wide.

So now i have cut the length, made a new tower piece and bondo it all over.

Alot of sanding to do before i put on some primer to check all small spots to fix.

Right now it looks like crap, but you guys who seen the WOPR probably can visualize it :)

While the bondo dries, its time to make the left panels ready. I want it standing soon!

w3.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Been working on this the latest weeks and finalizing most of the parts.

Also had to strip all base paint due to flaking, that took some time :P

Next step is a layer of base paint that can be sanded to fill the pores and scratches, and glue all stuff together.

The WOPR is alive, and its time to get it together, right now :)

woprglue.jpg

YES, UPDATE!

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

AWWW YES! New photo!

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II