Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David1521

Dead pixel, what should I do?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I just got a LG OLED E7. I have one dead pixel near the top right hand corner of my screen that I noticed after the first day of use, and because when I was on these forums and saw people had dead pixels I wanted to check mine, (I got it yesterday). Seeing as I only have one dead pixel though and the pixel is always just always black, maybe it's not so bad and if I can get over my OCD about it? Granted I bought it brand new "factory sealed" off of eBay from a reputable seller with 800+ reviews and 100% review ratings. I bought a warranty for it through Assurant Protection Plan for 2 years though, so my question is, since, at my viewing distance of about 7 feet I can't notice it at all on normal/darker images and only if I'm looking really really hard for it on really bright images, should I call in the warranty? Contact the seller? Contact LG? Or should I wait for a year and a half and call in the warranty then? What should I do? And if I do get a replacement is it likely to have dead pixels too?

It's just really annoying since my it's less than a day old and already has a dead pixel.

Would LG, or my warranty, or ebay, front me a new TV before having to return the old one or not? Would I have to send it back first and then wait for the replacement?

This is the terms and conditions for my Assurant protection plan.

https://marketplaceqa.assurantprotectionplans.com/assurant---terms-and-conditions-v7

"Advanced Exchange Service Option If We determine Your Product is eligible for the Advanced Exchange Service Option, at Our sole discretion, We will provide You with a new or refurbished product of like kind and quality upon determining a covered failure on Your original Product. Upon dispatch of service, We may collect an unrecovered equipment fee of up to $550 and ask You to send Us Your originally covered Product. A box will be shipped to You with a pre-paid postage label to deliver Your original Product back to Us. Upon receipt of Your originally covered Product, We will refund the unrecovered equipment fee to You in full. If You do not return Your originally covered Product within 10 days after receipt of Your replacement product, the unrecovered equipment fee will not be refunded to You. "

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.4ghz | Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 64 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | GPU: GTX 1080 Gigabyte G1 Gaming | CASE: Corsair 780T | Storage: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Nvme SSD, Samsung 950 Pro 1TB SSD, Seagate 7200rpm 1TB HDD, Seagate 5TB external HDD | PSU: EVGA 850watt G2 | Displays (3): ASUS VG278HV 1080p 27 inch 144hz 1ms response time, Asus VG248QE 1080p 24-inch 144hz 1ms response time (vertical setup), HP 27 inch 1080p IPS display | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i | Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark | Mouse: Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 700 | DAC/AMP and USB audio enhancers: Audioquest Dragonfly Red, Schiit USB Decrapifier, Audioquest Jitterbug | Webcam: Logitech 930e | Speakers: Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II 2.0 and MartinLogan Dynamo 300 Stereo Subwoofer with Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC to run them both at the same time. | Microphone and DAC/AMP: Blue yeti pro, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) | Router and Modem: NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200, and ARRIS SURFboard SB6190

Most companies won't replace anything for a few dead pixels. 

I'd keep it until near the end of the protection plan so you can get a new one kek

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
12 minutes ago, David1521 said:

I just got a LG OLED E7. I have one dead pixel near the top right hand corner of my screen that I noticed after the first day of use, and because when I was on these forums and saw people had dead pixels I wanted to check mine, (I got it yesterday). Seeing as I only have one dead pixel though and the pixel is always just always black, maybe it's not so bad and if I can get over my OCD about it? Granted I bought it brand new "factory sealed" off of eBay from a reputable seller with 800+ reviews and 100% review ratings. I bought a warranty for it through Assurant Protection Plan for 2 years though, so my question is, since, at my viewing distance of about 7 feet I can't notice it at all on normal/darker images and only if I'm looking really really hard for it on really bright images, should I call in the warranty? Contact the seller? Contact LG? Or should I wait for a year and a half and call in the warranty then? What should I do? And if I do get a replacement is it likely to have dead pixels too?

It's just really annoying since my it's less than a day old and already has a dead pixel.

Unfortunately, dead pixels are considered normal for LCD panels. Under LG, it seems that anything less than 4 dead pixels is considered normal and not defective. This threshold increases as the resolution increases. Below is a document outlining it. 

Contact your seller about their dead pixel policy and if an exchange can be arranged if they do have one. The position of the lead pixel also matters. If the dead pixel is at the corners or far sides of the screen, in most cases it would not be eligible for an exchange. My original laptop had a dead pixel in the middle of the screen which is why I was able to get a replacement. In most cases, one pixel wouldn't be enough to consider it defective. But since it was in the middle, it was considered distracting and hence, defective. 

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwimprn6udDXAhXnjVQKHXN2CgkQFggmMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lg.com%2Fca_en%2Fproducts%2Fdocuments%2FLG%20LCD%20Monitor%20Pixel%20Policy.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1-EVvs_AnHrnLo4nLIHJYl

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | Asus Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Mojave Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | 250GB WD SATA | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 7 Ultimate | Kali Linux

Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 (8.0) | iPad Mini (iOS 8.4) 

Posted · Original PosterOP
18 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Unfortunately, dead pixels are considered normal for LCD panels. Under LG, it seems that anything less than 4 dead pixels is considered normal and not defective. This threshold increases as the resolution increases. Below is a document outlining it. 

Contact your seller about their dead pixel policy and if an exchange can be arranged if they do have one. The position of the lead pixel also matters. If the dead pixel is at the corners or far sides of the screen, in most cases it would not be eligible for an exchange. My original laptop had a dead pixel in the middle of the screen which is why I was able to get a replacement. In most cases, one pixel wouldn't be enough to consider it defective. But since it was in the middle, it was considered distracting and hence, defective. 

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwimprn6udDXAhXnjVQKHXN2CgkQFggmMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lg.com%2Fca_en%2Fproducts%2Fdocuments%2FLG%20LCD%20Monitor%20Pixel%20Policy.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1-EVvs_AnHrnLo4nLIHJYl

Alright I just contacted the seller, we'll see what they say. Thank you!

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.4ghz | Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 64 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | GPU: GTX 1080 Gigabyte G1 Gaming | CASE: Corsair 780T | Storage: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Nvme SSD, Samsung 950 Pro 1TB SSD, Seagate 7200rpm 1TB HDD, Seagate 5TB external HDD | PSU: EVGA 850watt G2 | Displays (3): ASUS VG278HV 1080p 27 inch 144hz 1ms response time, Asus VG248QE 1080p 24-inch 144hz 1ms response time (vertical setup), HP 27 inch 1080p IPS display | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i | Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark | Mouse: Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 700 | DAC/AMP and USB audio enhancers: Audioquest Dragonfly Red, Schiit USB Decrapifier, Audioquest Jitterbug | Webcam: Logitech 930e | Speakers: Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II 2.0 and MartinLogan Dynamo 300 Stereo Subwoofer with Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC to run them both at the same time. | Microphone and DAC/AMP: Blue yeti pro, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) | Router and Modem: NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200, and ARRIS SURFboard SB6190