EA fires PvZ creator for rejecting P2W

ItsMitch

It appears that EA can't stop causing controversy in gaming this past few week and they've stepped it up a lot, coming in from multiple news sources and reddit hitting 17k up votes at the time of posting this. EA has fired its PvZ 

Original story, 10.22 am: Edmund McMillen, the designer of The Binding of Isaac and Super Meat Boy, was recently on Roundtable Podcast and rattled off a story about his friend George Fan who was sacked by EA for not agreeing with the pay-to-win model that the publisher wanted to introduce in Plants vs Zombies 2: It's About Time.

Fan was hired by, at the time, independent developer PopCap to create Plants vs Zombies, which was released in 2009 and became a huge success for the studio. In 2011, PopCap Games was acquired by Electronic Arts in a deal worth $750 million and work began on a sequel. However, Fan wasn't happy when EA proposed a pay-to-win model for the anticipated sequel and was subsequently fired after he showed resistance. 

Video is here: 

Mr Fan's tweet 

https://twitter.com/thegeorgefan/status/932996506667204609

My input on this is; EA STOP DOING STUPID SHIT AND FIRING OVER P2W MTS BULLSHIT thanks

Source: https://www.videogamer.com/news/ea-fired-plants-vs-zombies-creator-for-disagreeing-with-sequels-pay-to-win-model

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/7ea983/ea_fired_plants_vs_zombies_creator_for_objecting/

Fucking EA.. I haven't bought a game from them in years but this still pisses me off. There needs to be a massive boycott of their games, they won't get the message just from reddit downvotes.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

This will definitely make me think twice before buying a game from EA in the future. Sorry EA but you've lost a customer.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I get the idea of being a buisiness and wanting maxed out profits,...

.. i just hate that maxed profits are possible without caring for reputation whatsoever. 

Blizzard is doing an awesome job.

CD Project Red is doing an awesome job.

Both are filthy rich and got there by making people happy and games that are not P2W, but simply great.

How in the world can EA make even bigger profits with all the crap reputation and lackluster games?

The question, i guess, is: Why are gamers so awfully dumb and ignore everything once some of their loved IPs release a new game. Damn.

Goddamit and I am actually waiting for Anthem next year :/

10 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

Both are filthy rich and got there by making people happy and games that are not P2W, but simply great.

Agree although I wouldn't put CD Project Red there - sure they made awesome game but they are nowhere near being "filthy rich" if you consider how much creating AAA games costs.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

17 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Goddamit and I am actually waiting for Anthem next year :/

Agree although I wouldn't put CD Project Red there - sure they made awesome game but they are nowhere near being "filthy rich" if you consider how much creating AAA games costs.

Follow their twitter for a while. 

You will notice just how many people they are hiring. At least one per week, if not more. 

The money is real over there. But they also use it to make even better games, so they see it as a form of investment i guess. 

EA on the other hand just makes crap and pays marketing to sell it to as many people as possible before the flaws show up on too many news outlets.

24 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

Follow their twitter for a while. 

You will notice just how many people they are hiring. At least one per week, if not more. 

I don't have to follow their twitter to see their revenue reports and estimated net worth. 

But sure, let's see their hiring policy if you mentioned that.

As of 2017, per their wikipedia page, they have 700 employees. Blizzard has over 4k, EA has double that. 

I am not disputing that CD Project Red is a good game designer because they are. But putting them in the same sentence as Blizzard when comparing to EA is a ridiculus misunderstanding. It's like this saying - when it comes to earnings, you can't even say that they are not in the same league - they are not even playing the same sport.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

EA just wants to be hated again, they were doing quite well considering their past history over the last few years.

Here's a bit more info on the matter, apparently this is a little more complicated than a simple "He got fired immediately for disagreeing with management." He also wasn't working on PvZ2

https://kotaku.com/widespread-rumor-about-ea-firing-plants-vs-zombie-crea-1820649466

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

EA:

Image result for money gif

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

Honestly, I think its safe to say I'll never buy another EA game again. I'll let my wallet speak of my disgust. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

3 hours ago, Rattenmann said:

I get the idea of being a buisiness and wanting maxed out profits,...

.. i just hate that maxed profits are possible without caring for reputation whatsoever. 

Blizzard is doing an awesome job.

CD Project Red is doing an awesome job.

How in the world can EA make even bigger profits with all the crap reputation and lackluster games?

The question, i guess, is: Why are gamers so awfully dumb and ignore everything once some of their loved IPs release a new game. Damn.

EA - $4.85 billion in revenue, $1.2 billion net income. 

Blizzard - $2.4 billion in revenue, $223 million net income.

CDPR - $200 million in revenue, $95 million profit. 

All pulled from Wikipedia. The data doesn't exactly put the three companies on an even remotely similar footing. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

PvZ2 made me so sad. All I can hope for is some indie guy to come by and make a Stardew Valley-Harvest Moon type PvZ clone in glorious HD

EA this month:

image.jpg.7136d4d2779768e8f864567a9fd2b3f6.jpg

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

I think EA believes they have Comcast levels immunity to bad PR, unfortunately they seem to not understand they are not a monopoly

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I was actually planning on getting the new BF2 until I heard about everything being DLC or whatever. And even after EA "fixed" the problem, I still might not buy it. I've always liked the PvZ series though, hopefully the developer can make a good turnaround similar to Respawn Entertainment after splitting from Activision.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

With all this news, I'm surprised people are still going for the yearly-release games that companies put out. It's been nearly three or four decades of EA making yearly publications of their titles and it looks like the majority is just now getting fed up with this crap. What happened to those guys complaining about Activision's CoD franchise, which still had a good studio (Treyarch), producing good games allowing you to skip the following year.

Single-player is dead in the eyes of the big shots and pretty soon everything will be multi-player grind-fests with loot packs (I don't mind if the system is implemented well with appropriate chances through gameplay only like R6S or Overwatch). Being given crates that require purchased keys like Rocket League or CS:GO are reasons why I won't pay for those and choose to just sell them on receipt. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I subscribed to EA access for the vault a day before the EA controversy started (lots of games in the vaults I wanted to play but never got around to buying let alone playing)

giphy.webp

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:ASRock Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB Phantom Gaming D OC

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

Thanks Andrew....

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

13 hours ago, Terodius said:

Fucking EA.. I haven't bought a game from them in years but this still pisses me off. There needs to be a massive boycott of their games, they won't get the message just from reddit downvotes.

Just need to get a few million people to setup an automated email to EA that runs every 30 seconds, even if they blacklist you their mail filter still has to process it.... lol. Total inability send and receive emails might get some kind of message through.