Best console to begin collecting for

Fadednova

I want to start collecting video games what is a good console to start collecting for? Something cheap

Just now, ImNotThere said:

try a new console, the switch comes to mind

The games cost a lot and I am a teenager so I get barely any money. So I need something that won’t cost a lot to collect for maybe the DS?

Just now, Fadedboy said:

The games cost a lot and I am a teenager so I get barely any money. So I need something that won’t cost a lot to collect for maybe the DS?

itll cost a similar amount to buy all current switch games as there is so many ds games, my advise? dont start collecting until youre slightly older, put the money towards mkre important stuff :)

Could invest in an old PS3, Xbox 360, those games for those particular consoles are usually cheap on the used market. If you like retro games, then a PS2 or PS1 would be a good option, or even the original Xbox.

13 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Original Xbox. That sounds like it'd be feasible at the moment.

4 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

Could invest in an old PS3, Xbox 360, those games for those particular consoles are usually cheap on the used market. If you like retro games, then a PS2 or PS1 would be a good option, or even the original Xbox.

Maybe the Nintendo DS?

If you are located in the US you could get Xbox 360 for 50$ from gamestop on black friday and that too i think you can get back in mail rebate.2ds is also a good option I think if you want a cheap new console.

1 hour ago, AG1233 said:

If you are located in the US you could get Xbox 360 for 50$ from gamestop on black friday and that too i think you can get back in mail rebate.2ds is also a good option I think if you want a cheap new console.

I already have an Xbox 360 so maybe that BUT the ds in Austria’s GameStop is amazingly cheap I bought more brain training for 2 euros

Sounds like you are set on the DS, my only other recommendation would be pc (buy a humble bundle for $10 and get 15 games every month)

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Why do you want to collect games? By collecting, do you mean eventually amassing every single DS game of your region or however you want to scope it? I'm just curious why to someone with "barely any money" would do this.

I personally just buy what I want to play. Well, eventually play. With sales and such, and just life in general, sometimes it takes me years before I actually finish a game I bought haha

6 hours ago, ImNotThere said:

itll cost a similar amount to buy all current switch games as there is so many ds games, my advise? dont start collecting until youre slightly older, put the money towards mkre important stuff :)

Agreed.

I see you have already set your mind on DS, but I'll go ahead and give my answer anyway.

The original Xbox has a few advantages for collecting:

- Games are cheap and most of them are playable on 360 and eventually on One, so they'll stay relevant in the future.

- There's still an online community for multiplayer games.

- Available game library is reasonable in size, complete collection is a tangible goal.

- The system is powerful (up to 1080i), great for hardware/software modding and in general easy to maintain.

- Controllers use USB, it's proprietary in shape but only require simple adaptors (made easy by the breakaway cable) to play around.

The DS is good choice if you want to go handheld, plus the original DS and the DS Lite can also play GBA games. The PSP is also cheap to collect for, and has the really cool disc cartridges things.

Home consoles anything from the previous gen or two; Nintendo Gamecube or Wii, PS2 or PS3, Xbox original or 360. Depends on your gaming preferences. Going older gets expensive, particularly Nintendo SNES and NES. And the older you go, the more challenging it can be to connect to a modern television. 

Some advice whichever you go for, do not attempt a complete collection. A complete collection will involve spending absurd sums on a games that are rubbish, but super rare. Be picky in what you purchase, it's better to spend €100 on a rare game you really want to play, than picking 25 games at €4 each that you're not really bothered about.

14 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

The DS is good choice if you want to go handheld, plus the original DS and the DS Lite can also play GBA games. The PSP is also cheap to collect for, and has the really cool disc cartridges things.

Home consoles anything from the previous gen or two; Nintendo Gamecube or Wii, PS2 or PS3, Xbox original or 360. Depends on your gaming preferences. Going older gets expensive, particularly Nintendo SNES and NES. And the older you go, the more challenging it can be to connect to a modern television. 

Some advice whichever you go for, do not attempt a complete collection. A complete collection will involve spending absurd sums on a games that are rubbish, but super rare. Be picky in what you purchase, it's better to spend €100 on a rare game you really want to play, than picking 25 games at €4 each that you're not really bothered about.

Thanks. I am currently thinking GameCube or ds or n64

Maybe gameboy advanced sp, i have that one that fold in half, takes the older gameboy games aswell. Takes little space and is fairly cheap, and can be fun to play. EDIT: My actual gameboy:

g7Jo59A.jpg

5 hours ago, Fadedboy said:

Thanks. I am currently thinking GameCube or ds or n64

As you're in a PAL region the N64 can be tricky to get a decent picture out of. Composite (the one with the yellow, red and white plugs) is best you can normally get out of a PAL N64, which doesn't look great on a 1080p TV. The RGB mod only works on North American consoles, which can't play PAL games. You can get an S-Video cable for the PAL N64, and it has to be for the PAL N64, the North American S-Video cable won't display properly. Further problems with the S-Video option are that it will only work on the early dark grey consoles, not the fancy transparent ones, and that European TVs don't normally support S-Video, even through Scart. The S-Video cable does work well with the Framemeister, but that is expensive, really expensive. N64s can be modded for HDMI, it's quite expensive but a lot cheaper than the Framemeister, and probably the best option.

The Gamecube is much easier. The PAL Gamecube supports RGB, so as long as your TV has a Scart socket all you'll need is a genuine Nintendo Gamecube Scart lead, or a good quality 3rd party one (such as from here https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/) and it looks really quite good. If you don't have a Scart socket, just HDMI, the cheapest and easiest way to play Gamecube games would be to get one of the early Wiis (any with the Gamecube controller ports under the flap) and get a Wii2HDMI adapter, which are really cheap.

Of course all the handhelds avoid these issues...

8 hours ago, Kimmaz said:

Maybe gameboy advanced sp, i have that one that fold in half, takes the older gameboy games aswell. Takes little space and is fairly cheap, and can be fun to play. EDIT: My actual gameboy:

g7Jo59A.jpg

OMG I am having a nostalgia attack my sister had a gameboy advanced sp I sadly still can’t find it

4 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

As you're in a PAL region the N64 can be tricky to get a decent picture out of. Composite (the one with the yellow, red and white plugs) is best you can normally get out of a PAL N64, which doesn't look great on a 1080p TV. The RGB mod only works on North American consoles, which can't play PAL games. You can get an S-Video cable for the PAL N64, and it has to be for the PAL N64, the North American S-Video cable won't display properly. Further problems with the S-Video option are that it will only work on the early dark grey consoles, not the fancy transparent ones, and that European TVs don't normally support S-Video, even through Scart. The S-Video cable does work well with the Framemeister, but that is expensive, really expensive. N64s can be modded for HDMI, it's quite expensive but a lot cheaper than the Framemeister, and probably the best option.

The Gamecube is much easier. The PAL Gamecube supports RGB, so as long as your TV has a Scart socket all you'll need is a genuine Nintendo Gamecube Scart lead, or a good quality 3rd party one (such as from here https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/) and it looks really quite good. If you don't have a Scart socket, just HDMI, the cheapest and easiest way to play Gamecube games would be to get one of the early Wiis (any with the Gamecube controller ports under the flap) and get a Wii2HDMI adapter, which are really cheap.

Of course all the handhelds avoid these issues...

I’ll probably get a GameCube or gba or new 2DS XL

I would start with the Old systems like SNES, NES, N64, PS1, Atari and Sega systems. Systems like TG16, Neo-Geo, Atari Lynx, and Saturn had such a small run that their prices are too insane at the moment. I have all of the above except a TG16 as they were very scarce when i was growing up as a kid! My cousin father got his in Nashville, TN as the part of GA i had lived in wouldn't even carry them.