Which Phone should I go for?

1 hour ago, UltimaHeart said:

are there good reasons i should stay on android? Seeing everyone with iphones, having the best version of snapchat, facetime, imessage, etc. at my school makes me feel left out i'll admit but are there good alternatives to those i mentioned?

The only reason you should pick one OS over another should be for your own reasons. Personally, I also like both iOS and Android, and actually prefer iOS on the iPad for a tablet experience, but will forever be an Android Phone user because I cannot stand using ANY default apps built in-to any platform that lack cross-platform support. I need to be able to access my data from any device, anywhere, at any time, and you just can't do that with iMessage, Facetime, or a lot of other default communication apps, even on Android too.

I use Chrome because you can't run Safari on Windows, so you can't sync your bookmarks, Facetime and iMessage do run much better but again, they're completely limited to Mac products only, rendering them useless to me as a communication platform because I cannot text/call via my PC easily, and being unable to change the default apps for things like E-mail, Web Browsing, and video / music playback doesn't work for my needs. That being said, if your ecosystem consists of iMac's or MacBooks, then it makes sense to get an iPhone because it will integrate really well with MacOS. (As long as you're OK using the piece of poo that is iTunes for syncing.)

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

As a pure phone iPhone X >> OnePlus anything

iPhone's are also just hands down better at media consumption. Most social apps (and apps in general) run better on the iPhone. 

Though I think you might like the iPhone 8 Plus more than the iPhone X

My only wish with Apple in regards to media playback is to natively support MKV files. MKV is simply a container format that supports multiple audio, subtitle, and even video files, so as long as the audio, video, and subtitle data is encoded in a format that iOS hardware can decode (MP4/AAC/SRT) then there's no reason not to support it. Otherwise I do agree that apps on iOS generally feel more polished than their Android counterparts, which you can see by trying to compare SnapChat between both platforms. It runs buttery smooth on iOS, but runs like a slug on Android.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

My only wish with Apple in regards to media playback is to natively support MKV files.

Thats the only reason I have Handbreak installed. 

That being said normal users do not encounter .MKV files. They aren't sold in their stores after all. And really who uses .MKV?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Thats the only reason I have Handbreak installed. 

That being said normal users do not encounter .MKV files. They aren't sold in their stores after all. And really who uses .MKV?

I use MKV files as an archiving solution for DVD's and BluRays, as well as for TV series I download that we've recorded on our PVR. Whether legal or not, I'm a consumer who pays a monthly fee for a license to watch content on cable, which I'm allowed to record via PVR, or via my cable provider's online Video on Demand platform, but sometimes want to watch on the go. Many shows are available via the mobile On Demand app, so I'll use that where available, but some shows aren't even though we can PVR them. I won't be chained to a piece of hardware due to DRM, so as long as I'm paying for the license to watch the content, I'll acquire these shows as MKV files so I get proper subtitles and watch them on my laptop or Android tablet.

However, you're spot on that I'm in the minority here and most normal users would never see an MKV file, let alone know what to do with one.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

I use MKV files as an archiving solution for DVD's and BluRays, as well as for TV series I download that we've recorded on our PVR.

When I rip or download movies or shows I always convert into MP4 since it’s a more compatible file format. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

40 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

When I rip or download movies or shows I always convert into MP4 since it’s a more compatible file format. 

Doesn't VLC exist for iOS, rendering this whole .mp4 vs .mkv moot.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Doesn't VLC exist for iOS, rendering this whole .mp4 vs .mkv moot.

It does but you have to link the video to VLC which nobody likes nor wants to do.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

It does but you have to link the video to VLC which nobody likes nor wants to do.

At any rate, I use .mkv in encodes where I (or someone else watching with me) may opt for a different language and subtitles. Though if there's no choice anyway (or if an English dub wasn't good), I'll go with .mp4.

Best tool for the job and all. Only my PS3 has compatibility issues. Everything else I use plays .mkv without complaint (except my Atom tablet when high res HEVC is thrown at it).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

i have the iPhone X and i will say it is the best iPhone i have used to date i do not miss the home button nor do i miss Touch ID, sure it might be a little slower but depending on where you live you cant use touch id with gloves on where as face id you can also there are many other things face id is useful for. with face id the phone knows if you are looking at it so the screen wont dim if you are looking at the device also if you get a phone call the phone will auto lower the volume so you are looking at it. also notifications are hidden from anyone but you. the gestures dont take long at all to get used to and makes the phone feel more fluid overall imho. the iPhone X also have the best screen and camera out of all the phones currently out. if your mom is offering the iPhone X for you i would take that without question

i7 12700k/Asus Tuf z690/32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHZ/EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra/Samsung 980 Pro 1TB/Asus 2540x1440p 165hz Gsync/Acer 2560x1440p G Sync 144hz

20 hours ago, mikat said:

Why would you need to connect your phone to the computer? The only reason I can think of/That I use is to attach a remote debug session in chrome for webdev

I did preface my statement with "imho" recognizing that it doesnt apply to all. however, i also never said "connecting" to a pc. i was talking about playing nice with the environment. iphones play well well with macs, but not at all with PCs. Im referring to things like imessages and facetime/phone calls on desktop. Android has a lot of resources available thatll let one do this. iphone wont do it all on windows without a virtual machine, and even with those, imessages/facetime is extremely difficult to get to work. some people also use phones as an extension of the desktop for work (like me) and i personally feel android is more suited to the PC environment than an iphone.

I'll throw the LG V30 out there if you listen to a lot of music. It has a much nicer audio chip, plus it has a larger screen that won't be intruded upon by the black indent. Which, looking at LInus's last video, seems to impose on the media you're watching.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red