Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MYX

Dell 165HZ 1440p g-sync monitor

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, MaxCraft said:

http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-24-gaming-monitor-s2417dg/apd/210-aizs/monitors-flat-screen-lcd-computer-displays

 

So I really like this monitor because of the specs, but I don't know if my GTX 1070 can handle this refresh rate, I play at 1440P right now with no issues, but I don't know if the GPU can handle pumping out 100 more frames a second. 

Does it matter? The point of G-sync is super smooth gameplay regardless of frame rate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

You will need to lower settings to High/Medium

how far could a good OC get me?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MaxCraft said:

how far could a good OC get me?

I got to about 80-100FPS with OCd GTX 1060 at Medium/High in most games.

I think you should be somewhere at 100-120FPS most of the time in the more demanding games at Medium/High (with the exception of few very demanding games) and you should also hit 165FPS just fine in e-sport games at High/Ultra.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on your games, my i7-6700k and GTX 1070 can do 100 FPS on ultra settings in dirt rally, rainbow six siege, and 150FPS on CSGO ultra. At 1440p 150hz. If you are having problems download Msi Afterburner with riviatuner. And when it’s installed use rivatuner to cap FPS. Also try overclocking your GPU


Quote

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

Quote

"Our Framerates Be High And Our Temperatures Be Low." WEEEEEE

 

My sisters piano teacher asks her what minor keys are she replies "aren't they the sad ones"

 

SYSTEM

  • CPU: i7-6700k (Arctic Silver 5)
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 with two Corsair ML120s (dual pack)
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H
  • RAM: 16GB 3000mhz G-Skill RGB RAM + Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000MHZ RAM (I got the corsair from a friend for $100)
  • GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 8OG
  • Case: Corsair Air 540
  • Storage Samsung 960 evo 500GB and the Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD
  • PSU Seasonic Prime 80 Plus titanium 650 Watt PSU
  • Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU Bmiprz 27in G-SYNC 1440x2560 at 150hz and a old Acer monitor
  • Keyboard: HyperX Alloy FPS (Cherry MX Red)
  • Mouse: Logitech G600
  • Headset: HyperX Cloud Stingers
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit bought on Kingwin for $40USD

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cyborgsmith said:

Does it matter? The point of G-sync is super smooth gameplay regardless of frame rate.

Yes but I can still clearly tell the difference between constant 120FPS with G-Sync and constant 165FPS with G-Sync (constant is the key word, when the FPS fluctuates between 120-165FPS the difference is not nearly as apparent). Especially if you can crank up the Overdrive on monitor for very low motion blur.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yes but I can still clearly tell the difference between constant 120FPS with G-Sync and constant 165FPS with G-Sync (constant is the key word, when the FPS fluctuates between 120-165FPS the difference is not nearly as apparent).

no you can't


| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 5.0ghz - 1.3v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X Trio 2ghz OC  RAM: 16GB T-Force Delta RGB 3000mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Rift S

 

Read: My opinions on VR in it's current state, should YOU buy into it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Why is the price so low on that monitor!! The specs are amazing. I feel like all of the other high refresh rate, G-Sync montiros are 700 dollars. At least at 1440p

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've blind tested my friends a few times using my G-Sync capable 144Hz display and none of them can tell the difference between G-Sync disabled and ~144fps in game to G-Sync enabled and limiting the FPS to 100fps.

 

That's literally the whole reason you would buy a G-Sync capable display. If it didn't do that, why are people spending the premium? To eliminate tearing? Seem a little overkill. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

Wow! Why is the price so low on that monitor!! The specs are amazing. I feel like all of the other high refresh rate, G-Sync montiros are 700 dollars. At least at 1440p

it's because it's only 24'' and 24'' at 1440p resolution is aweful...it's simply too small.

 

Their properly sized 27'' 2560x1440 monitor is 719.99$


| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 5.0ghz - 1.3v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X Trio 2ghz OC  RAM: 16GB T-Force Delta RGB 3000mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Rift S

 

Read: My opinions on VR in it's current state, should YOU buy into it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

Wow! Why is the price so low on that monitor!! The specs are amazing. I feel like all of the other high refresh rate, G-Sync montiros are 700 dollars. At least at 1440p

Because it is only 24" and TN

AOC AG241QG is even $100 cheaper.

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

I've blind tested my friends a few times using my G-Sync capable 144Hz display and none of them can tell the difference between G-Sync disabled and ~144fps in game to G-Sync enabled and limiting the FPS to 100fps.

 

That's literally the whole reason you would buy a G-Sync capable display. If it didn't do that, why are people spending the premium? To eliminate tearing? Seem a little overkill. 

Do you even know what G-Sync does? It removes tearing and micro stuttering ... you STILL get the benefits of higher refresh rates!

Whether you can perceive the difference or not that is up to you, I can tell the difference easily BUT as I mention, when the FPS is CONSTANT 120FPS vs 165FPS, if the FPS jumps around then I will fail the blind test.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, WereCat said:

-snip- 

I would assume that the color range isn't as good or something on TN panels then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Doomerson said:

I would assume that the color range isn't as good or something on TN panels then?

The issues is not that much with the colour range rather than with the color shifting when viewed from angles. Even if you will stare straight on the screen the corners may appear in a different colour. The contrast is nothing amazing as well.

Some TN panels are good some are terrible. I would expect this one to be okay but better to check reviews.

 

I would not pay that much for a TN monitor though.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1369499-REG/aoc_ag241qg_24_agon_gaming_quad.html

is cheaper with the same specs.

 

You can get IPS for $100 more and in 27" flavour if you can afford it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1317280-REG/aoc_27_ag271qg_high_performance_gaming.html

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160298&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WereCat said:

The issues is not that much with the colour range rather than with the color shifting when viewed from angles. Even if you will stare straight on the screen the corners may appear in a different colour. The contrast is nothing amazing as well.

Some TN panels are good some are terrible. I would expect this one to be okay but better to check reviews.

 

I would not pay that much for a TN monitor though.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1369499-REG/aoc_ag241qg_24_agon_gaming_quad.html

is cheaper with the same specs.

 

You can get IPS for $100 more and in 27" flavour if you can afford it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1317280-REG/aoc_27_ag271qg_high_performance_gaming.html

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160298&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

So this is my synopsis from your statement. IPS panels are better than TN panels, however TN panels have the capability to be pretty good comparatively. Albeit, sometimes they aren't very good at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Doomerson said:

So this is my synopsis from your statement. IPS panels are better than TN panels, however TN panels have the capability to be pretty good comparatively. Albeit, sometimes they aren't very good at all. 

acceptable

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×