Need a new laptop for art college <$2000 budget

atrash

I'm looking to get a new laptop for my sister for her art college and I want it to have great+accurate display, decently long battery life, good built that can last 2-4 years, and OK after sales support for a tech noob. Also if it can play light games at medium settings that would be a plus. I don't think she needs touch screen as she already has her Wacom tablet. I'm open to either Windows or MacOS but trying to stick with budget less than $2000. the less the better ;) Maybe find a great deal somewhere (not dodgy)

Pricing and stock is US based so that should make it easier. I appreciate the help. Feel free to ask me anything. :)

Edit: forgot to add, 16gb of ram is needed too and not sure if i7 quad core is truly important for her drawing software

Edited by atrash

Does weight matter? That's the determining factor of if you go ultrabook or thicc performance-based.

22 minutes ago, atrash said:

I'm looking to get a new laptop for my sister for her art college and I want it to have great+accurate display, decently long battery life, good built that can last 2-4 years, and OK after sales support for a tech noob. Also if it can play light games at medium settings that would be a plus. I don't think she needs touch screen as she already has her Wacom tablet. I'm open to either Windows or MacOS but trying to stick with budget less than $2000. the less the better ;) Maybe find a great deal somewhere (not dodgy)

Pricing and stock is US based so that should make it easier. I appreciate the help. Feel free to ask me anything. :)

Edit: forgot to add, 16gb of ram is needed too and not sure if i7 quad core is truly important for her drawing software

What do you think of this? https://www.avadirect.com/Clevo-N130WU-13-3-QHD-Core-i7-Intel-UHD-Graphics-620-Custom-Laptop/Configure/11544736

IM BACK BABY

The Surface Pro or Surface Book should fit those requirements. With a student discount, they should cost about $2000, maybe a bit more. 

Same goes for Apple MacBook Pro. Those should also fill the requirements, and should cost about the same, and you can use a student discount. 

Afaik, those have the most accurate displays

Edit: forgot that 7th gen U Series CPUs are dual core. Those are the ones in the Surface Pro. I think the newer Surface Book has quad cores

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

14 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The Surface Pro or Surface Book should fit those requirements.

completely agree a windows surface pro will be very sweet

here is one for 1500 dollars: I7 quad core  Dual core :/ ,16GB ram , nvidia 940 (i think) 512GB of ssd storage. and you can traw on it :)

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-NVIDIA-GeForce-graphics/dp/B0163GNS5S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511195327&sr=8-3&keywords=surface+book

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

39 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Does weight matter? That's the determining factor of if you go ultrabook or thicc performance-based.

as long as it is not stupidly heavy like a desktop replacement.

26 minutes ago, kurtstir said:

I tried configuring it. Battery seems weak at just 36Whr tho. 

24 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The Surface Pro or Surface Book should fit those requirements. With a student discount, they should cost about $2000, maybe a bit more. 

Same goes for Apple MacBook Pro. Those should also fill the requirements, and should cost about the same, and you can use a student discount. 

Afaik, those have the most accurate displays

Edit: forgot that 7th gen U Series CPUs are dual core. Those are the ones in the Surface Pro. I think the newer Surface Book has quad cores

Thanks. I'm also looking at the last gen Macbook Pro as I'm using a RMBP(late 2013 model) myself. 

Look for something with KB-R CPU (8250U,8550U...) and MX150 GPU

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128