Please Send Help. Best Fan-to-Radiator Ratio?

Imbellis

Option Choices  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which one sucks the least?

• (two 120x15mm fans (push-pull) on 120x22mm rad)
    • (two 120x15mm fans (push-pull) on 120x27mm rad)
    • (one 120x15mm fan (pull) on 120x38mm rad)
    • (one 140x15mm fan, one 120x15mm fan (push-pull), and a 140x25 mm rad) *Heat venting limited to 120x120mm slot.
    • (one 120x15mm fan (pull) on 140x38mm rad) *Heat venting limited to 120x120mm slot.

I have quite the dilemma and want to make the best of it. TLDR: which one of the things in parenthesis would be best based off of thicknesses?

I have ~43mm of space above the intake for the PSU (shown in the Image at bottom).

This gives me a couple of options (PSU fan is underlined if only fan):

• Opt for the Silverstone TD03-S: 37mm thick.                                                  (two 120x15mm fans (push-pull) on 120x22mm rad)
  • Go for something like Corsair's H60 and replace the stock fan with a 15mm fan (two 120x15mm fans (push-pull) on 120x27mm rad)
  • Say "Screw it", and go for something like EK's PE 120mm                              (one 120x15mm fan (pull) on 120x38mm rad)
  • Say "Fuck it", and throw an H90 on                                                               (one 140x15mm fan, one 120x15mm fan (push-pull), and a 140x25 mm rad)
  • Yell "Fuck it", and throw some 140x38/40 mm rad on                            (one 120x15mm fan (pull) on 140x38mm rad)

*Note, all of the pull fans are 120mm - the extra length of a 140mm rad would be covered by the PSU's side.

From what I'd think, Here's what I came up with.

Worst no things:

• TD03-S                          (two 120x15mm fans (push-pull) on 120x22mm rad)
  • 140x38 rad w/ 120x15 fan (one 120x15mm fan (pull) on 140x38mm rad)

Meh stuffs:

• EK'd PE 120mm            (one 120x15mm fan (pull) on 120x38mm rad)

The Go-Go Juice:

• Corsair's H60                 (two 120x15mm fans (push-pull) on 120x27mm rad)
  • H90                              (one 140x15mm fan, one 120x15mm fan (push-pull), and a 140x25 mm rad)

Question again: which one of the things in parenthesis would be best based off of thicknesses (And 140mm rads being limited by 120mm vent-slot for pull cooling)?

Problemo.png.7c0051cbd22f5565f696ea99bd0198a7.png

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

I need help. Today I've been kicked in the jaw by a calf ('bugger weighs more than I)... but this is my real priority.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Push Pull 120mm configs are meh.

Why not get a 240mm rad

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CrDzK8/corsair-cpu-cooler-cw9060025ww

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

7 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

I need help. Today I've been kicked in the jaw by a calf ('bugger weighs more than I)

Veterinarian would like to say "f@cking lightweight", but will offer an actual post instead..

I voted for number three as a thicker rad should contain more water and thereby allowing more heat tranfer as long as FPI remains constant across all rads.

@W-L @0ld_Chicken

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 hours ago, Vandorlot said:

Push Pull 120mm configs are meh.

Why not get a 240mm rad for cheaper?

Doesn't fit. Very SFF Case. 5.6 Liters.

I can either go with a 54 mm air cooler (such as the Cryorig C7 @ 47mm) or go with 140/120mm rad.

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Veterinarian would like to say "f@cking lightweight.

I voted for number three as a thicker rad should contain more water and thereby allowing more heat tranfer as long as FPI remains constant across all rads.

@W-L @0ld_Chicken

They don't quite like it when you have to band and tag 'em.

As for the 120x38mm rad,  I was just a bit worried about the 15x120mm fan pulling enough air through it.

I'm pretty sure the fan in the PSU is an XtraFlow 120mm from Cooler Master.

~bump?~

4 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

~bump?~

By PSU fan, do you actually mean the PSU fan that comes with the PSU itself (i.e. not coupled with CPU temps and only spins up under load). Or do you have some custom PSU that will use normal case fans?

54 minutes ago, For Science! said:

By PSU fan, do you actually mean the PSU fan that comes with the PSU itself (i.e. not coupled with CPU temps and only spins up under load). Or do you have some custom PSU that will use normal case fans?

Standard Fan inside the PSU unit - I'm pretty sure it's a XtraFlow 120mm from Cooler Master.

Really, I'm willing to do some PSU surgery to get the fan spinning at propper RPMs.

14 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

Standard Fan inside the PSU unit - I'm pretty sure it's a XtraFlow 120mm from Cooler Master.

Really, I'm willing to do some PSU surgery to get the fan spinning at propper RPMs.

H90 config gets my vote. I don't trust the PSU fan drawing sufficient air through the rad so would definitely think having a dedicated fan for the radiator is worth it.I would recommend the new 15 mm Noctua fans, they perform really well even when compared to their 25 mm brethren. 

8 minutes ago, For Science! said:

H90 config gets my vote. I don't trust the PSU fan drawing sufficient air through the rad so would definitely think having a dedicated fan for the radiator is worth it.I would recommend the new 15 mm Noctua fans, they perform really well even when compared to their 25 mm brethren. 

Are you talking about replacing the PSU's fan or getting a Noctua 140x15mm fan?

On Noctua's website, I can't find any 15mm fans (Besides the A12s). Are those the ones you're talking about?

1 minute ago, Imbellis said:

Are you talking about replacing the PSU's fan or getting a Noctua 140x15mm fan?

On Noctua's website, I can't find any 15mm fans (Besides the A12s). Are those the ones you're talking about?

ah crap forgot they don't appear as 140 mm.....Maybe H60 in that case, or get one of those funnel adaptors.