Mineral oil cooling questions

A few questions before I embark on my journey. 

1) do I need to set up a system to conduct heat away from my computer besides the oil itself? 

2) is mineral oil alone safe to use or do I need to add chemicals/ buy a specific type of oil for it to not damage my pc?

3) do I need a motherboard tray to set up my pc (I'm using an atx board incedentally)(I'm also most likely just going to use a fish tank that I can pick up from a pet store) or will I be okay with just setting up the io facing above the surface?

1) Yes you need to cool the oil using radiators and a loop.

2) No, just oil.

3) You will need some way to mount it in the fish tank, you can DIY something yourself.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

you will indeed need some sort of radiator cooling system to expell heat

26 minutes ago, ReallyTheRealBatman said:

1) do I need to set up a system to conduct heat away from my computer besides the oil itself? 

2) is mineral oil alone safe to use or do I need to add chemicals/ buy a specific type of oil for it to not damage my pc?

3) do I need a motherboard tray to set up my pc (I'm using an atx board incedentally)(I'm also most likely just going to use a fish tank that I can pick up from a pet store) or will I be okay with just setting up the io facing above the surface?

You can get a fish tank from the pet store but you want to ensure the seals used if it's a glass tank are compatible with mineral oil. Materials such as PVC, rubber (EDPM), o rings all need to be out of the oil and any seals in existing fittings must be converted to a compatible material such as nitrile. 

As said the mineral oil is ready to use and does require cooling as most tanks will not be able to transfer the heat readily to the air for cooling. 

16 hours ago, ReallyTheRealBatman said:

1) Yes, you can use the walls of the case or a seperate radiator, depending on the TDP and the construction.

2) Use an oil with a low about of sulphur to protect your components (my oil has < 10mg/kg) and one without aromatic hydrocarbons to protect yourself (that stuff is evil). Also make sure the viscosity is low, but oils with very low viscosity have a very low flash point. I use the medical grade white oil Addinol WX 15.

Datasheet:

Weißöl WX.pdf

3) Just make sure the ports are atleast 3 cm above the oil surface, otherwise the oil with finde it's way up into the connectors. But I use an opticla SPDI/F connector and it works fine.

For more information look here:

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil