Trying to improve airflow in my case, would love some advice

Icess

Hi,

As the title suggests, after doing my first ever PC build about a month ago I started noticing my GPU temperatures getting higher than what other people with the same card had. Under full load, it reaches around 82-83 degrees celsius and starts to throttle slightly. When I open the side panel the temperatures can drop as much as 10 degrees, so I suppose the problem lies in poor airflow inside the case.

Here's the picture of my setup, the case is Be Quiet! Pure Base 600 with stock fans at max speed, the front one being intake and rear exhaust. https://imgur.com/a/GtvLl

My idea is to add another intake fan right below the one in front, though I'm not very knowledgeable about cooling and thought that it's a better idea to ask people who might be more experienced for advice on how to improve the temps.

Also, my GPU is MSI GeForce GTX 1080 ARMOR OC if that makes any difference.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks!

Im not to knowledgeable on this but i think your cpu cooler might be sucking it the air from the front fan before it can get to your gpu to cool it. i would recomend getting another front intake fan to and that should help with gpu temps

14 minutes ago, Icess said:

Hi,

As the title suggests, after doing my first ever PC build about a month ago I started noticing my GPU temperatures getting higher than what other people with the same card had. Under full load, it reaches around 82-83 degrees celsius and starts to throttle slightly. When I open the side panel the temperatures can drop as much as 10 degrees, so I suppose the problem lies in poor airflow inside the case.

Here's the picture of my setup, the case is Be Quiet! Pure Base 600 with stock fans at max speed, the front one being intake and rear exhaust. https://imgur.com/a/GtvLl

My idea is to add another intake fan right below the one in front, though I'm not very knowledgeable about cooling and thought that it's a better idea to ask people who might be more experienced for advice on how to improve the temps.

Also, my GPU is MSI GeForce GTX 1080 ARMOR OC if that makes any difference.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks!

Adding one intake fan on the front will make a difference but not much since the air pressure would me positive. I would add an intake on the front and an exhaust on the top to go for the most optimal neutral pressure. Also if you want too, flip your heatsink and swap the side your heatsink fan is on (if you can) so the fan is blowing up. It will make the logo look not sideways, and since hot air normally rises, it may benefit temps ever so slightly.

Edit: Be Quiet! cases have pretty poor ventilation for airflow too.

Build:                                                                          

Intel Core I7 6700k (clocked to 4.6ghz)

Patriot Viper 3000mhz ddr4

ASUS maximus 8 hero (I hate this mobo)

Evga gtx 1080 superclocked

250GB Samsung 850 evo

2tb WD Black 7200rpm

Ek watercooling kit a240g with 360 expansion pack

Primochill Vue Red fluid

Corsair Graphite 600t (white)

You thought "Gee, Donald Trump sure has a great build!"

4 minutes ago, mopishcross17 said:

Im not to knowledgeable on this but i think your cpu cooler might be sucking it the air from the front fan before it can get to your gpu to cool it. i would recomend getting another front intake fan to and that should help with gpu temps

The front fan would evenly split the air for the cpu cooler and the gpu cooler since they both have fans. I would only add another intake if another exhaust is added.

Build:                                                                          

Intel Core I7 6700k (clocked to 4.6ghz)

Patriot Viper 3000mhz ddr4

ASUS maximus 8 hero (I hate this mobo)

Evga gtx 1080 superclocked

250GB Samsung 850 evo

2tb WD Black 7200rpm

Ek watercooling kit a240g with 360 expansion pack

Primochill Vue Red fluid

Corsair Graphite 600t (white)

You thought "Gee, Donald Trump sure has a great build!"

What is your room temperature? A extra fan in the front is the most you will need. Pressure will take care of exhausting the air

1 minute ago, tp95112 said:

What is your room temperature? A extra fan in the front is the most you will need. Pressure will take care of exhausting the air

I don't know the exact temperature but I think it should be around 20-21 degrees. Nothing too hot

What you have in mind sounds good. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Adding fan is good idea and will help. I would also recommend moving HDD to lowest spot if your cables can reach for it. Right now its in the middle of airflow causing as much turbulence as possible. At lowest spot and with another fan it will get ample of airflow while causing as little trouble as possible (another good place would be in 5.25'' slot with adapter).

16 hours ago, DarthSmartt said:

Also if you want too, flip your heatsink and swap the side your heatsink fan is on (if you can) so the fan is blowing up. It will make the logo look not sideways, and since hot air normally rises, it may benefit temps ever so slightly.

Hot air rising doesn't have any effect inside PC case. Too many fans moving air for it to be just flowing around naturally. And switching heatsink around would mean that top needs to have exhaust fan. Otherwise airflow isn't best possible.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks a lot everyone for your advices! I've ordered two fans and going to experiment with them tomorrow. Do you guys think it would also be a good idea to in addition to what I initially planned also install an exhaust one on the top? The CPU heatsink fan would be quite close to it and I'm not sure if it's gonna make things worse because of that.

5 hours ago, Icess said:

Thanks a lot everyone for your advices! I've ordered two fans and going to experiment with them tomorrow. Do you guys think it would also be a good idea to in addition to what I initially planned also install an exhaust one on the top? The CPU heatsink fan would be quite close to it and I'm not sure if it's gonna make things worse because of that.

It'd help if the rear exhaust wasn't enough already. That's probably not the case and adding a top exhaust probably wouldn't make that much of a difference unless you had more power hungry components. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.