CPU GOT STUCK TO HEAT SINK! HAHA

Forgiving

Was looking at an old PC i had laying around and decided it may need some new thermal paste....

AND OH BOY DID IT.

Just thought this was funny lmao.

IMG_2986.JPG

IMG_2987.JPG

System:  Ryzen 7 1800x, GTX 1070 8GB, MSI x370 SLI PLUS, CORSAIR LPX 4x 4GB 3000mhz, MASTERBOX 5, EVGA 650W G2, WD 250GB M.2

--------------------------

Links: 

Youtube

Twitter 

Discord

PCPP

Twitch

Quite common for this to happen with chips that have the pins on the cpu rather than the motherboard.

Same thing happened with my R5 1600 lol.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

Quite common for this to happen with chips that have the pins on the cpu rather than the motherboard.

haha!

System:  Ryzen 7 1800x, GTX 1070 8GB, MSI x370 SLI PLUS, CORSAIR LPX 4x 4GB 3000mhz, MASTERBOX 5, EVGA 650W G2, WD 250GB M.2

Links: 

Youtube

Twitter 

Discord

PCPP

Twitch

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Was about to say the same; I've seen many AMD chips that had the same experience. 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

Had that happen with 100% of the AMD CPUs I've ever owned. Didn't matter how old or new the goop was.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Is this like you first time ever removing a heatsink or something...?

This pretty much always happens with old AMD computers that use the CPUs with the pins.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It is really bad if its stuck on there with bone dry oem thermal paste, I once had to pry a CPU off with a Knife.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Is this like you first time ever removing a heatsink or something...?

This pretty much always happens with old AMD computers that use the CPUs with the pins.

I assume so, it was an old office computer a friend of mine used.

Links: 

Youtube

Twitter 

Discord

PCPP

Twitch

Just now, Rolling Potatoe said:

It is really bad if its stuck on there with bone dry oem thermal paste, I once had to pry a CPU off with a Knife.

Damn, same actually i had to use a little more force....rubber hammer 

Links: 

Youtube

Twitter 

Discord

PCPP

Twitch

That's every consumer AMD chip ever right there. It's only funny until you bend pins or launch the CPU when trying to scrape it loose.

In all seriousness, the best way around that is to turn on the PC and let it run in BIOS for a 5-10 minutes. Unless you're dealing with decade-old cement, the thermal paste will loosen considerably as it warms up, and the heatsink will gently slide off much more willingly.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

9 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

That's every consumer AMD chip ever right there. It's only funny until you bend pins or launch the CPU when trying to scrape it loose.

In all seriousness, the best way around that is to turn on the PC and let it run in BIOS for a 5-10 minutes. Unless you're dealing with decade-old cement, the thermal paste will loosen considerably as it warms up, and the heatsink will gently slide off much more willingly.

Yea thats what i did then knocked it off but saving the hardware wasn't that big of a deal.

Links: 

Youtube

Twitter 

Discord

PCPP

Twitch

That's why you should always twist the cpu cooler before pulling it on PGA platforms.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case