Display upgrade: 3D vs 1440p?

davidmorpurgo
Forget about 3D get 1440p much better for gaming ( my opinion )
But the Asus PB278Q response time is not so good... I'm a FPS gamer...

Forget about 3D get 1440p much better for gaming ( my opinion )
you are right but it looks freaking awesome:p!!

=

If you get a 3D monitor, you can be sure it's a TN panel. And if you get a good IPS/PLS panel it I'd be awesome

1440p with IPS or PLS would be my choice for sure!

2560 x 1440 is certainly the way to go. 120hz is nice but you won't consider 1080p an acceptable resolution anymore after using 1440. :P

If you get a 3D monitor' date=' you can be sure it's a TN panel. And if you get a good IPS/PLS panel it I'd be awesome 1440p with IPS or PLS would be my choice for sure! [/quote']

But Linus says that the ASUS PB278Q has some motion blur :/

Go for 1440p i dont know if this happens to others but every time i've used 3D my eyes have went funny and my head hurts afterwards, its for this that i stick with 2D displays as my health is more important to me

Personally, I would go for 1440p. 3D is still a gimmick for me and I get headaches pretty quickly after using 3D. 1080p for a 27" monitor is still alright, but I would prefer a higher resolution.
Buy the 1440p 27", you will never regret it (ask me :P). Just make sure your GPU can support that res if you plan on playing games on max.

Here are some references from the only one :)

Although linus and many experienced gamers can easily tell the difference between 60Hz and 120 Hz, the fact that we don't need a video for "can linus detect the difference between 1440p and 1080p?" is very telling. The difference is obvious, and in an awesome way.

And to Rhizo wondering if the difference between a 32" 1366x768 screen and a 1440p 27" monitors. Short answer: yes, your eyes will stop bleeding from that crap 32" screen. The 2560x1440p resolution is often consider QuadHD, or QHD, because its 4 x 1280 x 720p, thats nearly 4x as many pixels as your current display.

3D is honestly a bit of a gimmick. 1440p FTW

Here are some references from the only one :)
Although linus and many experienced gamers can easily tell the difference between 60Hz and 120 Hz' date=' [b']the fact that we don't need a video for "can linus detect the difference between 1440p and 1080p?" is very telling. The difference is obvious, and in an awesome way. And to Rhizo wondering if the difference between a 32" 1366x768 screen and a 1440p 27" monitors. Short answer: yes, your eyes will stop bleeding from that crap 32" screen. The 2560x1440p resolution is often consider QuadHD, or QHD, because its 4 x 1280 x 720p, thats nearly 4x as many pixels as your current display.

Well i know that better resolution is always better... But how does a PLS panel perform in FPS games?

I'm personally going for the 120Hz of the ASUS VG278H. It'll allow me to see the best fps out of all my games and ofcourse I'm going to try 3D. I expect to play more in 2D with the higher refresh rate which, btw, is so much better for fps games. I've personally seen the difference and it basically forced me to want that feature in my next monitor. It's too bad you can't see the differences before hand and the decision is completely up to you but I know for me I am going for faster refresh rate and 3D capability.

• 2 weeks later...

Since almost everyone here has gone for the 1440p, I tought I'd make a case for the 1080p one. (Just bought a Samsung S27A950).

I would not have bought the screen for the 3d alone, but 120hz is so much snappier and runs smoother, that any 60hz panel I have ever used. Don't know what games you play, but if I cannot run if on max settings I get a compulsive urge to upgrade, and looking at games like Crysis 3, it's probably gonna take a CF or SLI setup to run it maxed out. Ofcorse if you already have, or is planning to get that kind of GPU horsepower, then that's ont a problem. And in my opiniom as long as it's a good quality panel, then 1080p is sufficent res. on 27" screen.

+1 for 1440p. Unless your a hardcore gamer seeking minimal response times or need the 3D experience' date=' 1440p is the way to go. Going from 1080p -->1440p is a lot like 720p -->1080p. I have a 2560x1440 monitor and simply love it. Prices are also coming down, my Dell U2713HM was $615 with one-day shipping from amazon.[/quote']

so I have a 32" screen with 1360x768 resolution... Might pick up a 1440p 27" in a couple of months, would the difference be huge?

about 4x the pixels in a 5" smaller screen. YES HUGE.

be ready for a graphics card upgrade if you plan to game.

my 7970ghz struggles at 1600p.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

are those korean 2560x1440p monitors any good? they are like $300-500usd through ebay, I want to get 1440p but its a bit pricey for me. Since my 1080p monitor is wonky & will only let me play 1024x768 in the majority of games i have.

It depends on what YOU want so I can only tell you what I would do..

I would get the ASUS PB278Q.. a 2560x1440 with a PLS panel..

I have a cheaper Dell with IPS panel and I love it, I only regret that I didnt get a 2560x1440 and a slightly more expensive model with a higher quality panel though.. :)

(Comming soon)

I'm inclined to the 1440p IPS, because I'll also use it for photography editing.

The Dell U2713HM seems very nice and is $649 at Amazon... But at that price, there is also the Asus PB278Q.

I want one of them, but which one? Any suggestions?

+1 for 1440p. Unless your a hardcore gamer seeking minimal response times or need the 3D experience' date=' 1440p is the way to go. Going from 1080p -->1440p is a lot like 720p -->1080p. I have a 2560x1440 monitor and simply love it. Prices are also coming down, my Dell U2713HM was $615 with one-day shipping from amazon.[/quote']

so I have a 32" screen with 1360x768 resolution... Might pick up a 1440p 27" in a couple of months, would the difference be huge?

I know a man who is blind in one eye and has glaucoma in the other, and even he would notice the upgrade.

120 Hz is nice :) just FYI... go to the store and try them out lol

Personally I prefer the 120Hz(and the amazingly low lag) over the higher resolution, moslty becuse I rather play 1080p maxed out, than play 1440p, and have to turn down the graphics. Especially with games like crysis 3, you'd need a BEAST rig to run maxed out on that high res. =) Not saying I wouldn't like to tho... :)

1440p is definitely the way to go. Hopefully more games will use that sort of resolution soon seeing as though graphics cards can display 4k resolutions.

It is a 3.5x increase in terms of pixels, kinda like going from 1080p to Super HD ( previously called 4kHD ) you will love it but make sure your machine has the power to play games at that res :3

On topic i tried 3D at my local ncix i while ago didn't really like it but i do enjoy a good high res monitor. Also if you go from tn to ips +1 for you :D