iPhone X Review – Pushing Me to Android

Seriously who punches keys on a phone anymore? or does everyone like carpal tunnel that much? This shouldn't go against any phone...

Also Linus, you want frozen? Come to Ontario.

He didn't make a joke about how it is TOP NOTCH!

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

3 minutes ago, ScrappyZeDog said:

He didn' make a joke about how it is TOP NOTCH!

Wow missed opportunities LOL!

Just now, nicklmg said:

Wow missed opportunities LOL!

Yeah! I thought of that a while back when I was talking to my friend brother in law who has the X and just had to post it here

1 minute ago, ScrappyZeDog said:

Yeah! I thought of that a while back when I was talking to my friend brother in law who has the X and just had to post it here

Well played, well played.

Face id just plain sucks to me. I would rather lose the stupid notch and have a fingerprint sensor on the back, an unobstructed display is that important. I mean both suck compared to just having a fingerprint sensor on the front, but I understand that bezels are a dirty word these days so somethings gotta give.

Personally id rather just keep the bottom bezel of the 8 and 8 plus, maybe reduce it slightly, and eliminate the top one, and you still have a larger screen and can still use touch ID(and a home buttom) on the front. Everyone is happy, except maybe tech reviewers that jizz themselves over bezel-less phones, despite no real practical benefit to them. I mean having a taller display has no real tangible benefit outside of maybe watching movies in landscape mode, an experience which is ruined by the notch(or in the case of Samsung their stupid curved edges). For web browsing what matters is the width of the display, increased height is irrelevant. I mean who watches movies on a phone anyway?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Just now, nicklmg said:

Well played, well played.

This is what I told him: (Name of my Friend) told me you had the iPhone X... isnt that thing top notch. He laughed

So is the Galaxy S8 Linus's daily driver now?

It looks decent to me, and I need an upgrade soon and my carrier won't support the Pixel or any Android One phones,.

Any S8 users, since I trust this communities judgement (in general), and don't have enough questions to facilitate a new thread, would someone mind answering these three questions if you have time?

- Is there less bloatware (and if there's a similar amount, can I at least, REMOVE most of it?)
- Did they improve Touchwiz?
- Does it still become a slow unresponsive mess a year down the line?

I owned a Galaxy S, S3, and S4, and was always plagued by these issues. How are things looking nowadays?

I'm probably just going to wait for next year.

Also, I wouldn't mind no jack if every Android OEM used the same standard. Sadly, they don't and I have to play the stupid game of "will this dongle work?".....

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

9 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I'm probably just going to wait for next year.

Also, I wouldn't mind no jack if every Android OEM used the same standard. Sadly, they don't and I have to play the stupid game of "will this dongle work?".....

I'll buy out the remaining stock of unlocked S7s, S8s, Note 8s, and iP6Ss if there is no OEM that doesn't go full idiot.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

52 minutes ago, SupremeChunk said:

It looks decent to me, and I need an upgrade soon and my carrier won't support the Pixel or any Android One phones,.

Any S8 users, since I trust this communities judgement (in general), and don't have enough questions to facilitate a new thread, would someone mind answering these three questions if you have time?

- Is there less bloatware (and if there's a similar amount, can I at least, REMOVE most of it?)

I owned a Galaxy S, S3, and S4, and was always plagued by these issues. How are things looking nowadays?

I have the s8 and most of the preinstalled apps are removable, touchwiz is great and a huge leap compared to older versions, and no I got mine on April 21 and it is is running fast as ever

50 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I'll buy out the remaining stock of unlocked S7s, S8s, Note 8s, and iP6Ss if there is no OEM that doesn't go full idiot.

Probs just keeping my Note8 for 3+ years at this point

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

6 hours ago, nicklmg said:

It's also important to remember that the headphone jack has only been gone for what... 2 years? If someone bought a pair of IEMs that cost hundreds of dollars 3 years ago they're probably not just going to throw those away. Dongles are becoming a sad part of daily life for many people these days.

Most people only have a single pair of headphones and only use them with their phone. So you can just leave the adaptor that's included with the phone on the headphones indefinitely. 

6 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Removing headphone jack saves space and (I think?) potentially helps with waterproofing, so I get why manufacturers are doing it. I also get why people are frustrated by it.

I'm 100% wireless these days so it's neither here nor there for me.

The bigger reason to drop 3.5mm is that it forces manufacturers to actually give a shit about Bluetooth -- and there has been quite a few new Bluetooth headphones recently. 

2 hours ago, maizenblue said:

Everyone is happy, except maybe tech reviewers that jizz themselves over bezel-less phones, despite no real practical benefit to them. I mean having a taller display has no real tangible benefit outside of maybe watching movies in landscape mode, an experience which is ruined by the notch(or in the case of Samsung their stupid curved edges). For web browsing what matters is the width of the display, increased height is irrelevant. I mean who watches movies on a phone anyway?

Yeah, no. Even for internet content a slim and narrow display is fine. I compared my 6s+ to my X and I can see virtually the exact same content on both screens. Sure there might be edge cases where the wider screen would be relevant, but for 99% of websites they're about the same. So there is a massive benefit in that I can have a big screen in a reasonably sized phone. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The bigger reason to drop 3.5mm is that it forces manufacturers to actually give a shit about Bluetooth -- and there has been quite a few new Bluetooth headphones recently. 

That's an interesting theory, and it makes sense.  Personally, I don't plan to switch to BT until headphone batteries can last days.  I listen to music every day while I'm working, and don't want to have to worry about charging them every night.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's an interesting theory, and it makes sense.  Personally, I don't plan to switch to BT until headphone batteries can last days.  I listen to music every day while I'm working, and don't want to have to worry about charging them every night.

The ones i own last tops 12 hours, if I'm lucky. they have decent sized drivers ok sound. One thing i dont miss is the stupid 6 ft cable :D

10 hours ago, Enderman said:

It's not an adapter, it's a cable.

You plug one end into one device and the other end into another device, with no additional converters/adapters.

Do you also call your phone charging cables that are mini USB "adapters"?

Also, why would it be incompatible with other devices?

If you other devices have 3.5mm input and your phone is USB C, then you use the same cable for all the devices.

I don't think you understand how technology works.

You give people two options and they won't switch to the new one because they are too lazy to.

Apple is doing a great job by forcing people to switch to USB C and thunderbolt 3 on the macbook pros.

That's what is needed to push technology forward.

Otherwise your car would have a USB port, a 3.5mm port, a CD drive, a tape drive, and record player all at the same time.

I Can agree that change needs to be forced but not all the times, CD Players didn't get forced in drastically they where phased in while tape drives where phased out because it was over all better, when the better choice became more affordable it was less of a worry about staying with tape drives or changing to CD players.

Hence why people don't agree with the removal of a 3.5mm jack its simplistic and more affordable, if it was to be used via a USB C or thunderbolt connection a standardisation would need to be set regarding headphones/audio ports. meaning ALL Headphone companies would need to agree on either changing from 3.5mm jack to a USB C or Thunderbolt port which would then affect ALL Phone companies on what to use to charge, This in return would lead to more hassle than acceptance. 

So weather people like it or not 3.5mm jacks became the standard acceptance for Audio because of how common it was used. 

Now don't get me wrong 3.5mm jacks will get phased out eventually when the better solution is more affordable or of less hassle. For example the major problems with Wireless or using a Dongle is Extra Costs overall.

Wireless drains both your phones battery and your headphones charge meaning less usable time and more charging which in return leads to a slight increase in bills. Secondly using a dongle is costly and isn't a permanent solution as it can be broken/ damaged which require you to replace. 

So ya Apple is doing Alright for trying to push technology forward. but shouldn't be doing it on the 3.5mm Jacks until the find a universal solution that can be Phased in on All Devices that currently have 3.5mm jacks that means. Game Consoles, DVD Players, T.V's, Sound Systems, Mp3 players, Phones etc. <----- a lot of changes just because one company doesn't want 3.5mm jack so :/ that's why it isn't being pushed forward. 

Two things to get the push is increase in Battery times or decrease in energy consumption via the headphones and Phone to allow it to challenge 3.5mm jacks in audio play time. Or to have a universally accepting alterative for 3.5mm jacks that can be phased in on all platforms using 3.5mm jacks without losing too much costs.

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

11 hours ago, Enderman said:

Uh, most people don't use their phone to listen to music, or they use wireless or lightning headphones.

0 dongles or adapters.

if they care about sound quality they don't.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

13 hours ago, Enderman said:

Uh, most people don't use their phone to listen to music, or they use wireless or lightning headphones.

0 dongles or adapters.

I guarantee you the split bewteen wired and wireless is 50-50 and like 2 people use lightning headphones. Linus did a poll on the wan show and 40% of people said that they where pissed the google pixel 2 has no headphone jack, so...

#DontBeAFanboy.

Sorry, had to.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

On 11/20/2017 at 4:34 AM, alexyy said:

Let's be honest, most people care about convenience above all else when in comes to phones. There will always be those that care about quality too, and those people can either get something else, or just leave the lightning to 3.5mm adapter in the headphone case. For most people, most of the time, it's really not an issue.

On 11/20/2017 at 5:57 AM, King_of_Oz said:

I guarantee you the split bewteen wired and wireless is 50-50 and like 2 people use lightning headphones. Linus did a poll on the wan show and 40% of people said that they where pissed the google pixel 2 has no headphone jack, so...

#DontBeAFanboy.

Sorry, had to.

Two things.

First off, most people will complain about a lack of a headphone jack, but after they get a phone that doesn't have one, they get over caring within a few days when they realize it really doesn't make a difference. 

Secondly, this forum is HEAVILY biased in more ways than one and in no way represents the majority of the public.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 hours ago, King_of_Oz said:

#DontBeAFanboy.

Sorry, had to.

1) he did that poll a long time ago

2) this is a community of mostly tech enthusiasts so of course the percentage is high compared to the general public, go watch some other phone reviews you will notice that a lot of people say they're perfectly unaffected by there not being a headphone jack.

3) I don't use any apple products and never plan to, maybe #dontassumethings and try to understand why the headphone jack is unnecessary to the majority of people (regardless of it being an apple product or not)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 hours ago, alexyy said:

What makes you think that a USB C or lightning headset is worse sound quality? who told you that?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

What makes you think that a USB C or lightning headset is worse sound quality? who told you that?

Have a read of this

Pretty much explaining the difference in USB audio and 3.5mm Jack audio, It secondly says about why 3.5 isn't gonna be phased out anytime soon.

https://www.androidauthority.com/3-5mm-audio-usb-type-c-701507/

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

29 minutes ago, Alex Colson said:

Have a read of this

Pretty much explaining the difference in USB audio and 3.5mm Jack audio, It secondly says about why 3.5 isn't gonna be phased out anytime soon.

https://www.androidauthority.com/3-5mm-audio-usb-type-c-701507/

That's a year old article.

You can see that 3.5mm is definitely being phased out from phones.

Anyone can see that.

It is completely obvious.

Spoiler

12 hours ago, SupremeChunk said:

Touchwiz has come a far since the S4. But is still a little there to a degree in terms of the small stutter or Less responsiveness years later.  they Really started fixing it with the S6 and on. 

The S8 is pretty good with it but the Note 8 is Supposedly Really Good and one of the biggest Differences between the two almost like they were told they had to make the Note 8 Better so they fixed some software stuff just for it. ( or maybe its just the continuation of touchwiz getting better and better every Phone) either way its a welcome improvement. not that the S8 is bad at all its a million times better then the s4 touchwiz.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/18/15338052/samsung-galaxy-s8-touchwiz-android-software

http://bgr.com/2017/08/16/galaxy-note-8-vs-galaxy-s8-android-ux/

My biggest complaints of Why i didnt Purchase the S8+ was the Finger print scanner not being center and i really wanted some dual speakers like Iphone or Pixel.