GPU Overheats with Air cooling

supRac
Just now, supRac said:

All right, will do.

I just reset the settings and they're same. Are these fine? Should I still lower them?

Set the clock to 0 and memory to 0, then see if that helps.

i honestly never seen a profile with such high numbers without crashing.

3 minutes ago, supRac said:

All right, will do.

I just reset the settings and they're same. Are these fine? Should I still lower them?

Nvm what i said about setting to 0, just realized you are using a AMD card. My bad.

GCN runs hot AF. It's fine.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Yes, it runs hot but that can be fixed with a bigger GPU heatsink and his MSI is one of the best coolers of that generation.

It shouldn't hit 90 something according to the reviews that went around.

Just now, Bcat00 said:

Yes, it runs hot but that can be fixed with a bigger GPU heatsink and his MSI is one of the best coolers of that generation.

It shouldn't hit 90 something according to the reviews that went around.

I have a nice XFX Double Dissipation 370, and it hits 80-90C regularly under load. From my research, those are normal and safe operating temps for GCN.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I have a nice XFX Double Dissipation 370, and it hits 80-90C regularly under load. From my research, those are normal and safe operating temps for GCN.

like i said, its normal for most AMD cards of that generation. However, MSI went above everyone else and dumped a massive cooler on it to counter the heat.

He should be in the high 70 and low 80s with the MSI card.

15 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Your "2 Dead GPU's and counting" makes me not want to trust you, so is this actually fine? Should I be cool with 80-90 celcius? Will it make my case window melt :D

Just now, supRac said:

Your "2 Dead GPU's and counting" makes me not want to trust you, so is this actually fine? Should I be cool with 80-90 celcius? Will it make my case window melt :D

Ignore that. That's "from" artifacts, not overheating ;)

It's actually fine. If you're not comfortable with it, crank up the fan curve.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Ignore that. That's "from" artifacts, not overheating ;)

It's actually fine. If you're not comfortable with it, crank up the fan curve.

Should I still crank up the fan curve to be 100% speed at 80 because, they're running at 93 at 81 degrees. You can see the heat raising up as soon as I launch PUBG.

41d6ffdf0b275a05245b254d6ac9001f.png

Just now, supRac said:

Should I still crank up the fan curve to be 100% speed at 80 because, they're running at 93 at 81 degrees. You can see the heat raising up as soon as I launch PUBG.

50b58175683a8486ac9f5d9d459e5ebf.png

That's the fan speed. The fan curve is in settings.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

That's the fan speed. The fan curve is in settings.

Yeah, I know, is there something that I should improve on?

861ad5dbb9c16c16d352b965a26d9aff.png

2 minutes ago, supRac said:

Yeah, I know, is there something that I should improve on?

861ad5dbb9c16c16d352b965a26d9aff.png

Nah, it's fine. You're good.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Nah, it's fine. You're good.

I'd still want to play PUBG with my case window closed, I just had it closed for like 10 minutes and it got up to 87 untill I closed it. The whole case was super hot, isn't there anything else I could do to keep it constantly cool? The GPU is heating up the whole system.

Just now, supRac said:

I'd still want to play PUBG with my case window closed, I just had it closed for like 10 minutes and it got up to 87 untill I closed it. The whole case was super hot, isn't there anything else I could do to keep it constantly cool? The GPU is heating up the whole system.

Same thing happens to me with my 370. Buy more case fans, but besides that, there isn't much you can do.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Same thing happens to me with my 370. Buy more case fans, but besides that, there isn't much you can do.

I have a one more 120mm fan, where should I put it? Exhaust or intake?

Just now, supRac said:

I have a one more 120mm fan, where should I put it? Exhaust or intake?

Intake.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Intake.

But where? Should I put it in the front (on the bottom) or on the top

17 minutes ago, supRac said:

But where? Should I put it in the front (on the bottom) or on the top

Front.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Turn your temp limit down to around 75 in afterburner. Sorry I just noticed that it was high. You could put it to 80 even if you are comfortable with that temp.

2 hours ago, krueger515 said:

Turn your temp limit down to around 75 in afterburner. Sorry I just noticed that it was high. You could put it to 80 even if you are comfortable with that temp.

It just puts my power limit down instead as it's not supported by my GPU

are you done replacing your thermal paste? if not yet, i recommend noctua paste or gelid gc extreme. 

and don't crank your gpu fan to 100 it will die faster, 80 should be the highest. 

7 hours ago, rheyL said:

are you done replacing your thermal paste? if not yet, i recommend noctua paste or gelid gc extreme. 

and don't crank your gpu fan to 100 it will die faster, 80 should be the highest. 

Nope, I'm currently very busy this week so I haven't done it yet.

The biggest issue is the airflow. You need more exhaust capacity to get the heat out of the case. Having slightly more intake than outtake can be beneficial though, but a single 120 won't do for a 390.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

8 hours ago, supRac said:

Nope, I'm currently very busy this week so I haven't done it yet.

replace thermal paste, clean the heatsink, add fans... add 1 exhaust and 1 intake.

Came to the conclusion after trying everything that it's the thermal paste that I need to replace, thanks to rheyL for the suggestion and found out that other have had the same problem with MSI R390.

I'll replace the thermal paste soon and will let you guys know the results. I'll be probably using noctua paste.