GPU Overheats with Air cooling

supRac

My GPU is a solid 70 celcius when playing other games and editing videos (case closed), but when I play a little demanding games such as PUBG and COD it heats up to 90 degrees (with my case window closed)

My CPU is fine around 40-50 degrees when playing games. So I downloaded MSI Afterburner to control my fan speeds, but I still have to open the window of my case to stop my GPU from overheating, leaving it to constant 75 degrees.

I already tried removing dust from the GPU.

What's the problem?

My GPU is MSI 8GB AMD R9 390 (used bought it from my friend for $100)

I have 3 fans in my case (Corsair 400c carbide clear), 1 120mm exhaust in the back and intake 120mm and 140mm in the front.

Done so far:

Replaced thermal paste

Cleaned the heatsink and card

Replaced, added, removed fans

Link to my case:

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/carbide-series-clear-400c-compact-mid-tower-case

Have you checked to see if the GPU fan is running? Have you cleaned the heatsink on the graphics card recently?

2 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

Have you checked to see if the GPU fan is running? Have you cleaned the heatsink on the graphics card recently?

Yeah, the GPU fans are running but I guess at a low speed compared to my fans, where is the heatsink located? I'm new to PC building as this is my first build.

Graphics card heatsink is what the GPU fans are blowing into. See if there's any obstruction like dust or pet hair built up that might be blocking airflow. 

2 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

Graphics card heatsink is what the GPU fans are blowing into. See if there's any obstruction like dust or pet hair built up that might be blocking airflow. 

I'll try to clean it today, how should I clean it? Is there any nonos?

If you have a can of duster, that will work. Try and avoid letting the fans freespin if you use compressed air since that can cause voltage spikes that might damage stuff. 

15 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

If you have a can of duster, that will work. Try and avoid letting the fans freespin if you use compressed air since that can cause voltage spikes that might damage stuff. 

I'll try to keep the fans in place with my fingers, thanks.

If the card was heavily used it could be thermal paste that needs replacing

That's an F in the profile pic

Just now, Froody129 said:

If the card was heavily used it could be thermal paste that needs replacing

All right, will that be an expensive/hard procedure?

I included a picture of my MSI afterburner, is it normal that my core clock/memory clock are like that, I haven't touched them before.

0dd7e8e222955edadc618cd75e488af2.png

If he open the side panel and its good then he got a air flow issue with his case.

Add some intake fans to you case and it should fix it.

1 hour ago, supRac said:

All right, will that be an expensive/hard procedure?

Ummm, it’s very very cheap but it requires you to take the heat sink off of the card. It’s not hard but it requires that you know what you can touch. There’ll be tons of guides, but the thermal paste might also still be fine. These cards are not scared of heat dissipation :P 

That's an F in the profile pic

29 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

If he open the side panel and its good then he got a air flow issue with his case.

Add some intake fans to you case and it should fix it.

I'll add a 120mm fan, i already have 2 intake fans in the front, should I add another exhaust fan instead? and where should I put it

12 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Ummm, it’s very very cheap but it requires you to take the heat sink off of the card. It’s not hard but it requires that you know what you can touch. There’ll be tons of guides, but the thermal paste might also still be fine. These cards are not scared of heat dissipation :P 

I just cleaned up the GPU from dust  and it seems like the heatsink is not a problem.

2 hours ago, kerradeph said:

I just cleaned up the heatsink/gpu and didn't let the fans to spin, its clean now but still heats up to 80-90 with the case closed.

Are your case fans oriented correctly? What type of cooler are you using for the CPU?

1 minute ago, krueger515 said:

Sorry, I didn't read your original post all the way through.

I'm using a 140mm corsair AF140L with a 120mm NB Blacksilent pro as intake fans and I have a 1 AF120L exhaust fan in the back.

Just now, krueger515 said:

What type of cooler are you using for the CPU?

Hyper 212 evo

10 minutes ago, supRac said:

I just cleaned up the heatsink/gpu and didn't let the fans to spin, its clean now but still heats up to 80-90 with the case closed. The temperature dropped by like 2-4 degrees though.

Is there sufficient clearance around the card? Is it placed right next to other expansion cards or your PSU that could be inhibiting air flow?

35 minutes ago, krueger515 said:

Is there sufficient clearance around the card? Is it placed right next to other expansion cards or your PSU that could be inhibiting air flow?

This is it, the cable management sucks though, should I perhaps move the GPU a bit lower? Or maybe remove the casing that keeps the PSU hidden?

ivyyksu.jpg

Can anyone here tell me what could be the problem?

Move your 2 intake fan lower and take off the psu shroud, that will likely give it more room to push the air.

Just had a look at your afterburner profile, set it back to default plz then try. 

Thats some high numbers you got going there.

4 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Move your 2 intake fan lower and take off the psu shroud, that will likely give it more room to push the air.

All right, will do.

2 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Just had a look at your afterburner profile, set it back to default plz then try. 

Thats some high numbers you got going there.

I just reset the settings and they're same. Are these fine? Should I still lower them?