CUDA cores per frame

Let's say that you have benchmarked a game using the GTX 1050. Assuming no memory bottlenecks, could you then determine the fps of the game using a higher end GPU. In other words, can the number of CUDA cores determine the framerate of games, and how would you adjust for frequency? Just curious.

Thats now how it works im affraid....

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

if we are talking pascal only, kind of. its not a linial scale though and clock speeds need to be kept in mind

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Yes, but with a lot of qualifiers

Firstoff, CUDA cores (and clockspeed) can only be compared/counted/etc. within the same generation

This is extremely important. a GTX 980Ti has more CUDA cores than a GTX 1080, but it's worse. this is because you cannot compare CUDA core number, clockspeed, etc. between generations (Maxwell and pascal in this case)

obviously, CUDA cores and AMD Stream processors can't be compared under any circumstances.

Secondly, CUDA cores aren't everything.

GPUs are more than just CUDA cores / Stream processors. they have ROPs (Render Output Units), VRAM, internal connections, etc. Unless you take all these into account (really hard), you won't get an exact estimate. if you're counting CUDA cores, you'll get an approximation, which is usually good enough.

Third, Clockspeed can be just added together.

Clockspeed is the simplest. if you increase the clockspeed of your GPU core to 10Ghz from 2Ghz, then you'll theoretically see a 5X increase in performance. however, you also need to take into account the other things on the GPU (ROPs, VRAM, etc.). if you increased the clockspeed of all of those things by 5X, then you would see 5X the performance. for example, a Ryzen 1600 brought from 3Ghz to 4Ghz would yield a theoretical improvement of 33%, since 4 is 33% more than 3.

But, clock speed can only be added within the same architecture/generation, and company. just like CUDA cores.

keep in mind that this is pretty theoretical.

Finally, Nothing here is exact -- just look at benchmarks

there are tons of variables if you want to theoretically calculate the performance of a GPU, and if you're just looking for a rough performance estimate, they might work. but there are much better ways of seeing the performance of a GPU. just look at benchmarks. they'll be more accurate, and easier to find than calculating the CUDA core difference.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

There is a lot more that determines performance than just cores, so no, not at all.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On 11/18/2017 at 7:31 PM, RadiatingLight said:

Yes, but with a lot of qualifiers

Firstoff, CUDA cores (and clockspeed) can only be compared/counted/etc. within the same generation

This is extremely important. a GTX 980Ti has more CUDA cores than a GTX 1080, but it's worse. this is because you cannot compare CUDA core number, clockspeed, etc. between generations (Maxwell and pascal in this case)

obviously, CUDA cores and AMD Stream processors can't be compared under any circumstances.

Secondly, CUDA cores aren't everything.

GPUs are more than just CUDA cores / Stream processors. they have ROPs (Render Output Units), VRAM, internal connections, etc. Unless you take all these into account (really hard), you won't get an exact estimate. if you're counting CUDA cores, you'll get an approximation, which is usually good enough.

Third, Clockspeed can be just added together.

Clockspeed is the simplest. if you increase the clockspeed of your GPU core to 10Ghz from 2Ghz, then you'll theoretically see a 5X increase in performance. however, you also need to take into account the other things on the GPU (ROPs, VRAM, etc.). if you increased the clockspeed of all of those things by 5X, then you would see 5X the performance. for example, a Ryzen 1600 brought from 3Ghz to 4Ghz would yield a theoretical improvement of 33%, since 4 is 33% more than 3.

But, clock speed can only be added within the same architecture/generation, and company. just like CUDA cores.

keep in mind that this is pretty theoretical.

Finally, Nothing here is exact -- just look at benchmarks

there are tons of variables if you want to theoretically calculate the performance of a GPU, and if you're just looking for a rough performance estimate, they might work. but there are much better ways of seeing the performance of a GPU. just look at benchmarks. they'll be more accurate, and easier to find than calculating the CUDA core difference.

Thank You, RadiatingLight

In response to your first point, I only meant within Pascal when I wrote my question. I also meant clock speed when I said frequency. I'll definitely be more careful to specify things like that in future posts. Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed with and very thankful for the depth and detail of your response. I didn't expect CUDA to be the only factor that would determine gpu performance, but I was just curious, and I am very surprised by the etiquette of this forum. I definitely will come here before anywhere else with my future questions.