Previously used mining card in a mining rig?

It will most likely be fine

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

As the title implies, is it a good idea to use a previously used mining card in a new mining rig?

Depends on how used the card is.

If the card was run cool, and you keep on top of TIM, I would personally replaced it, and run the card cool, and the lifespan is fairly long.  Generally heat on GPU's, Memory and VRM is what takes its toll and shortens the lifespan. 

If i remember right theres an old vid where they actually test an old card that was used quite abit side by side with a out of the package one and there was no performance degredation.Should be perfectly fine

3 minutes ago, BigBill256 said:

If the card was run cool, and you keep on top of TIM, I would personally replaced it, and run the card cool, and the lifespan is fairly long.  Generally heat on GPU's, Memory and VRM is what takes its toll and shortens the lifespan. 

I keep on top of TIM whenever possible, I actually had to go out and buy some recently because my friend never replaced it on his 780 that he gave to me haha.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Aviss Cora said:

If i remember right theres an old vid where they actually test an old card that was used quite abit side by side with a out of the package one and there was no performance degredation.Should be perfectly fine

But there's a difference between using it for gaming and having it pinned at 100% in a probably very hot environment for days on end nonstop.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

But there's a difference between using it for gaming and having it pinned at 100% in a probably very hot environment for days on end nonstop.

It's probably gonna be sitting in my basement, which generally stays quite cool. I'll make sure it has great ventilation, chances are I'll have it set up as an open-air rig when I get around to actually building it.

If necessary, I can watercool it

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's probably gonna be sitting in my basement, which generally stays quite cool. I'll make sure it has great ventilation, chances are I'll have it set up as an open-air rig when I get around to actually building it.

How much is it? What GPU? How are prices in your area? If it's a decent price, go for it. Replace the thermal paste, though, and dust it if needed.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

How much is it? What GPU? How are prices in your area? If it's a decent price, go for it. Replace the thermal paste, though, and dust it if needed.

No clue actually, I'm just getting started looking for things. I have an FM2-based system and a Z97 board currently, which is when I started considering getting hardware to finish them and setting them up as mining/f@h rigs.

If you have any pointers, feel free to let me know and I'll keep them around for future reference :)

Always willing to learn something new about computers

No clue actually, I'm just getting started looking for things. I have an FM2-based system and a Z97 board currently, which is when I started considering getting hardware to finish them and setting them up as mining/f@h rigs.

If you have any pointers, feel free to let me know and I'll keep them around for future reference :)

Always willing to learn something new about computerrs

Please fold instead of mine. Personal thing of mine :P

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Please fold instead of mine. Personal thing of mine :P

Haha ok.

Haha ok.

I was kinda joking though TBH. If you wanna mine, go ahead. I can't stop you ;) 

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I was kinda joking though TBH. If you wanna mine, go ahead. I can't stop you ;) 

Yeah, I was thinking of setting up one for mining and one for folding since I can fairly easily get 2 working systems. My FM2 system only needs an HDD to be fully working, I took the old one out to use in my upgrade this year.

I need to repair the socket on my Z97 board and get a hard drive and CPU for that before it'll be fully working(i got the board used from a friend that didn't have a use for it anymore and found out it had a ton of bent socket pins so I decided to take a bit of a risk, repair the socket and see if the board is truly dead).