CD Projekt Red tell PC Gamer: "Cyberpunk 2077 will have online elements to ensure its long term success"

Master Disaster

Translation: Microtransactions up the wazoo

Industry good guys did an interview with PC Gamer (in Polish) and they talked a little bit about Cyberpunk, the highly anticipated new game they're currently developing.

They basically said they're still not ready to talk specifics about the game but they did confirm the game will be using online elements (including seamless multiplayer) "to ensure its long term success"

We still don't know all that much about CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077, however we did learn last year that it could feature "seamless multiplayer". Now, company CEO Adam Kiciński has suggested it'll include online elements so as to ensure its long-term success.

"We want to experiment in new fields that were not yet explored in the Witcher," says Kiciński above, as translated by YouTube's English subtitles. "I can’t say much about Cyberpunk, although our ambitions are set really high because that is our style of work. We want to go even higher, and especially seeing how we’re having a business chat, we’re interested in Cyberpunk being commercially even more significant."

When asked about Multiplayer he went on to say

"Online is necessary, or very recommended if you wish to achieve a long-term success. At some point, we have mentioned that there will be a certain online element related to Cyberpunk."

http://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-will-include-online-elements-to-ensure-long-term-success-says-cd-projekt/

You can call me sceptical if you like (and you're probably right too) but this is a bad sign IMO, taking about how important online intergration is to the game before they released any info on the game at all sets alarm bells ringing.

I'd wager money on CD Projekt Red being the next studio to take the plunge into Microtransactions, maybe not full on loot boxes but something more than just paying for the game.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I thought that we already knew for quite some time that Cyberpunk 2077 will feature some online elements?

Just now, WereCat said:

I thought that we already knew that Cyberpunk 2077 will feature some online elements?

See this....

We want to go even higher, and especially seeing how we’re having a business chat, we’re interested in Cyberpunk being commercially even more significant.

They're building the game around microtransactions

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

"Online is necessary, or very recommended if you wish to achieve a long-term success. At some point, we have mentioned that there will be a certain online element related to Cyberpunk."

Well there is an online element related to the Witcher 3 already out it's called Gwent and it's a stand alone card game. But I understand that perhaps I'm being generous with this interpretation and they're just fucked realizing AAA quality development doesnt pays.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Thats not exactly what it says. It may sound like it but it may not be it, hard to say... it is quite a blank statement.

Ive gotten to the point where, when it comes to gaming, I simply refuse to believe anything they say means anything other than "gimme all your fucking money you bunch of plebs" anymore.

Seems like they're doing the slow drip feed method of telling us in the hope it won't turn into a PR disaster when they finally drop the ball.

I've said it many times in the various EA and SWBF2 threads over the past few weeks, by the end of the decade I fully expect EVERY AAA game to be nothing more that card pack opening and or loot box opening.

12 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

They're building the game around microtransactions

Full quote is this, and you posted it. 

"We want to experiment in new fields that were not yet explored in the Witcher," says Kiciński above, as translated by YouTube's English subtitles. "I can’t say much about Cyberpunk, although our ambitions are set really high because that is our style of work. We want to go even higher, and especially seeing how we’re having a business chat, we’re interested in Cyberpunk being commercially even more significant."

It may literally mean something like Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect MP, or probably something completely different. I'm not saying they won't implement microtransactions (highly possible they will) but out of all game companies CDPR has earned the right of doubt before jumping to conclusions and literally pulling them from 3 sentences.

I'm pretty sure they won't be build the game around them even if they implement them, but this way of reasoning is becoming ridiculous, even if you turn out to be correct. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Ive gotten to the point where, when it comes to gaming, I simply refuse to believe anything they say means anything other than "gimme all your fucking money you bunch of plebs" anymore.

Seems like they're doing the slow drip feed method of telling us in the hope it won't turn into a PR disaster when they finally drop the ball.

I've said it many times in the various EA and SWBF2 threads over the past few weeks, by the end of the decade I fully expect EVERY AAA game to be nothing more that card pack opening and or loot box opening.

I get you, so many games are just a cash grab ... but there are still studios that do a great job making an awesome games with lenghty story and no BS around.

Larian Studio, CD Project so far have been a great example and if they decide to go down the dark path then so be it... just dont preorder, buy what you like, dont buy what you hate. It is really simple.

choo choo! hop on the Lootbox train CDPR!!! CHOO fucking CHOO

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

If it's one company that I believe won't fuck up, it's CDPR because of Witcher 3. Witcher 3 is one of the best games made, and it is even cheaper than most AAA games, and the expansions had loads of content.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I know everyone is on this bandwagon of hatred towards gaming companies that implement micro transactions in their games. But honestly it's not their fault for how it ended.

Companies work in a very easy way to understand. They have a product, they sell that product, and along the way they try to find different ways to make more money from that product. Whether it's through find ways of making that product cheaper to produce, or in case of games find ways to bring more people/money in, mostly through DLCs.

Now they found a way to make more money through micro transactions. Selling power-ups, characters, weapons, health, ammo, etc.

Now like I said companies work in a simple way to understand. What they do is come up with an idea, implement that idea and push it and see how people react to it.

If people don't like it, they take it back. However if the people are ok with it, they push even further and further until they hit that point in which it's no longer acceptable.

And the people have decided that they are ok and want more micro transactions in their games. Remember it doesn't matter that some random idiot made a video on YouTube, saying this is a catastrophe. Even if said video gets thousands of views.

What matters is if the majority of people buy it. And the sad truth is the majority have decided that micro transactions are what they want in games.

I don't think there will be any microtransaction here, or at least it's not going to be the main selling point (only skins), unless they're focusing on the multiplayer aspect. But it's been a rough couple of years for CDPR from what I've heard with their unstable condition inside of the office, I'd be a little skeptical with their business model right now.

Not sure if I like this, they made The Witcher 3 is a long term success simply by being good, it'd be a shame see one of the best gaming studios getting into microtransactions as well....

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

i dont mind microtransactions, as long as they are 100% cosmetic. online elements to ensure long term sucess could be a lot of things tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

What matters is if the majority of people buy it. And the sad truth is the majority have decided that micro transactions are what they want in games.

Yep, the majority is buying games with micro transactions and either using those features or you get enough "whales" that make it profitable.

They are like any other company.  CDPR requires money to stay afloat.  Also, people sure forgot all that up in arms over the downgrade and hairworks on Witcher 3 it seems.

Another thing to keep in mind, CDPR has stock which they only control around 33% of now.

Or, by what their own shareholder page show:

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/investors/shareholders/

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

wth, why is everyone immediately jumping to conclusion they'e adding micro-transactions?

There's a LOT of things "online elements" can mean, including the one mentioned in the article "seamless multiplayer"

What have you done EA, you've made blind multiplayer hating sheeps =/

Like said, was already mentioned. Doesn't automatically mean microtransactions or p2w mp play too. Though mp seems interesting for such a game and I'm excited for both parts. I know they won't sacrifice sp experience cause of online part of the game. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Today's video games are best described as low hanging fruit. Oversimplified to appeal to the masses with an injection of loot boxes. Its disheartening to see the direction of video games and its been going on for a while. I'm not against publishers making money. However I am against publishers trying to milk me and other consumers for every red cent they can. CDPR Is a publisher i like based on their past business practices. However if this turn out to be true, I can no longer support CDPR with my money. I was looking forward to cyberpunk 2077. I will not condemn the company at this time, maybe cyberpunk will be a MMORPG. 

If the gaming industry does not improve soon. There will be no reason for me and others like my self to upgrade their computers. This in turn will hurt pc component sales. I'm only speaking for myself when say this. There has not been a game in the last 5 years worth paying full retail. Going forward I dont see any games worth paying full retail either. Therefore aging gamers like myself with more disposal income. Dont see the need to upgrade there computers or buy games at release. My friends and I are to aware of the direction of the industry. We are being slowly pushed out. Games have become to simple and unchallenging. 

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

I'm inclined to believe that CD Projekt Red isn't going to include micro-transactions as they've shown no signs of being scum bags to date, they are not EA Ubisoft or activision yet so give them the benefit of the doubt as they've earned it so far

Additionally given there stance on DRM it is likely that they simply intend to make a game with online features to avoid adding dedicated DRM but essentially making the games features itself encourage actually buying there game

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

personally i don't care too much if a game do tonnes of micro transaction because once they do, i simply don't play or buy it. I download the crack game and play the campaign and call it a day if its decent.

Jumping to conclusions, are we?

And I really trust them, even if they put some kind of microtransactions, I dont think it will be the cancerous kind (after all, they realeased TW3 without DRM, and the expansions where crazy cheap and the size of full games). So yeah, I will hold on before freaking out.

And to be honest, I played dota for years and never spent a cent, and it never bothered me this cosmetic item for sale stuff. Nowadays its worse because they make more and more itens all the time, but the only thing that really gets me is when you can pay to win. Otherwise? Be happy paying while I play for free my whole life.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

9 minutes ago, Biggerisbetter said:

There has not been a game in the last 5 years worth paying full retail. Going forward I dont see any games worth paying full retail either. Therefore aging gamers like myself with more disposal income. Dont see the need to upgrade there computers or buy games at release. My friends and I are to aware of the direction of the industry. We are being slowly pushed out. Games have become to simple and unchallenging. 

Either you are radical, or you are exagerating, or you simply just dont lime games anymore.

The witcher 3 was one of the games that was worth MORE than its full price, divinity original sin 2 is also a game worth way more than what it was sold... And im sure that are many more that I forgot or just dont know. And im not talking only about game quality, but also the mindset of the company.

And even games that are from "sold out" companies can be amazing. I really like fallout 4 even with its flaws, and if I were to not play because of ideolgy I would lose 250h of having a good time.

Maybe you just dont like games anymore, it happens, life changes. But dont blame it on the industry, because there is still MANY excellent games out there, just like there are many bad ones. 

Like music, people always like the past and criticize the present, and every generation EVER does the same thing.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

1 hour ago, crystal6tak said:

wth, why is everyone immediately jumping to conclusion they'e adding micro-transactions?

There's a LOT of things "online elements" can mean, including the one mentioned in the article "seamless multiplayer"

What have you done EA, you've made blind multiplayer hating sheeps =/

mentally ill.  

we dont even know wtf this game is, not even the genre, so online elements can mean anything

If it doesn't provide shit like STBF2 then it should be fine, cosmetics are cool and all; I still have faith in CDPR. 

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

While I agree for EA and other AAA publishers and devs, CDPR is the one company that used to be pointed out as the exception and the way to do things instead so the fact that they're folding to me is 1000x more alarming sign of the state of this industry as EA just doing EA things, Ubi doing Ubi things, etc.

TL;DR - If even the indie players are going this route, we are truly and thoroughly fucked.

-------

Current Rig

-------