Ryzen 5 is overrated.

minervx
5 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

You don't care about compression, encoding and physics simulation benchmarks on a CPU? Would you prefer if we compared the CPUs by their ability to be used as a drinks coaster, what the packaging looks like or what they smell like? 

No I'm saying a score of 1000 vs a score of 100 doesn't necessarily translate into 10x performance all it means is the bigger number is some arbitrary amount better since the scores metrics aren't specified, but you appear to be a troll so I'm done trying to explain beyond what I've already done

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, AresKrieger said:

No I'm saying a score of 1000 vs a score of 100 doesn't necessarily translate into 10x performance

rly made me think.png

How common are these instances, exactly.

I'll take a guess at a pie chart of the demographics here (and in other online communities), and if you disagree, feel free to propose better estimates.

1% Professional 4K Video Editors

1% Professional Graphics Designers

1% Professional 3D Modelers

3% Music Producers

9% Amateur to semi-pro content creation

5% High-end gamers that dabble in creative work

10% High end gamers

30% Mid to high-ish range gamers

40% Budget to mid-range gamers

I'm not saying don't do it.  I'm just saying don't buy a 35 piece drum kit as your first drum set.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

By this thread of benchmark logic, Trojan Magnum condoms offer double the performance as regular ones based on benchmarks from my ex's ex.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

6 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Ryzen 7 brought it to the same chipset, but it is not a mainstream chip and realistically, won't outperform any Haswell+ i7 

Benchmarks (haswell i7 and r7)?

On 11/17/2017 at 10:23 PM, William Payne said:

The problem I see is that people place a big deal on "More Cores!!!!" but the reality is if your software doesn't take advantage of those cores and you aren't multi tasking then it doesn't matter. In fact there are cases where more cores will slow down your performance due to poor use of cores in software. 

You need to know what is going to be best for what you are doing. Is it clock speed per core or core quantity. 

People say that thread ripper is the greatest thing but with that many cores there are use cases where it outright sucks because the software only takes advantage of maybe half of the cores

Its like in gaming there is a reason the 7700k was king, now if you are multitasking and taking advantage of the more cores then yeah go for more cores.

People say that developers will take advantage of more cores in time but people have been saying that a long time. 

Agree.  Intel is still king on single thread running.  I have a 5960X and 1900X CPU.  I can tell you right now my 5960X still beats the 1900X on Measured Integer Speed doing BOINC work units.  Now, on Floating Point Speed, they are about similar on work units.  Still doing a bit more testing here soon on other projects.  Plus, need to sit down and OC the TR chip.

I can understand if someone doing streaming and recording, the more cores deal helps out a good bit.  But, for just gaming, a good solid four or six core chip does the job.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 17/11/2017 at 6:30 PM, minervx said:

I'm sorry for the clickbaity title.  It's a great CPU for a meaningful niche of people, but it's double the price of a Ryzen 3 ($100) more.  Maybe it's 20-30% better based on practical benchmarks.

If you have (or plan on buying) a monitor over 60 Hz and you want to game at high frame rates, definitely go with Ryzen 5.

If you are passionate about content creation and want to edit videos in 4K, definitely go for it.  But if you're just a dilletante like myself who claims to have aspirations to create professional content but just spends most of his time browsing the net and playing Overwatch, don't waste your money.

For a lot of budget and mid-range builds, there are more impactful ways to invest the money: a solid state drive for sure, a good pair of headphones, a device to improve your network speed (if its faulty), putting it toward a video or a high resolution monitor or toward even a very comfortable chair.

Yeah if you're playing esports games then of course Ryzen 3 is enough. You don't want to be playing games like Ghost Recon Wildlands and Battlefield 1 on a Ryzen 3. It'll stutter and struggle to maintain 60 at high details. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

8 minutes ago, Zeitec said:

Yeah if you're playing esports games then of course Ryzen 3 is enough. You don't want to be playing games like Ghost Recon Wildlands and Battlefield 1 on a Ryzen 3. It'll stutter and struggle to maintain 60 at high details. 

I have r5 1600 and I also experience frequent stuttering.Although I have single channel 2133 MHz ram, it still shouldn't perform that badly since single channel shouldn't affect performance that much (ram speed doesn't matter for 60 hz gaming).

Ryzen is overrated. 

4 generation old IPC

Weak frequency capability

Garbage memory controller

Poor latency - both memory and core to core

The only thing it has going for it is price and they are having to constantly drop that to stay relevant.  I really don't understand the obsession. 

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

53 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

I have r5 1600 and I also experience frequent stuttering.Although I have single channel 2133 MHz ram, it still shouldn't perform that badly since single channel shouldn't affect performance that much (ram speed doesn't matter for 60 hz gaming).

Single channel 2133 ram will make ryzen a stuttery mess. Ram speed really matters for Ryzen. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

9 minutes ago, Zeitec said:

Single channel 2133 ram will make ryzen a stuttery mess. Ram speed really matters for Ryzen. 

Nobody mentioned this.Hardware unboxed tested all ram speeds and found out that ram speed doesn't matter at 60 Hz.This is a big issue when people recommended r3 over Pentium, I'm sure that r3 will be far worse since its customers buy single channel and/or slow ram.

i5-8400 is a better choice for MOST users out there.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

On 11/17/2017 at 10:13 PM, Drak3 said:

As for the whole "Ryzen brought the whole 8c/16t to the mainstream," that's a lie. Ryzen 7 brought it to the same chipset, but it is not a mainstream chip

So a 300 dollar CPU isn't mainstream?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Just now, thegreengamers said:

So a 300 dollar CPU isn't mainstream?

Not really.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Not really.

I mean that's only $40 more than the i5 k skus of yesteryear. Not that much of a jump. 

9 minutes ago, Zeitec said:

I mean that's only $40 more than the i5 k skus of yesteryear. Not that much of a jump. 

It's also a core count and price segment that most people don't care about, outside of what the lousiest of Best Buy employees have to say.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It's also a core count and price segment that most people don't care about, outside of what the lousiest of Best Buy employees have to say.

Why does core count matter? Where is the line for mainstream core counts? Is the Ryzen 5 1600x mainstream? It has 6 cores 12 threads. Is it disqualified from being mainstream because it's too good? 

On 11/17/2017 at 8:33 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Also, I thought refresh rate and resolution depended mostly on graphics power, not CPU

matter the game if its cpu or gpu intensive

1 minute ago, suh)))))))))))) said:

matter the game if its cpu or gpu intensive

Resolution is 100% GPU dependant iirc. Framerate is dependant on a combination of GPU and CPU. 

23 minutes ago, Zeitec said:

Why does core count matter? Where is the line for mainstream core counts? Is the Ryzen 5 1600x mainstream? It has 6 cores 12 threads. Is it disqualified from being mainstream because it's too good? 

End of the line is the end of the realistic benefit for your home user that isn't an enthusiast or prpsumer.

6c/12t has benefit for some home users. 8c/16t does not.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

From a gaming perspective, Ryzen 3 is 'fast enough' for a budget gaming build running a GTX 1050/1050 Ti (or equivalent AMD GPU), maybe even a GTX 1060 if you overclock the CPU. So for budget gaming it is fine. Higher end gaming builds needs a faster CPU to keep up with the faster GPUs.