Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
minervx

Ryzen 5 is overrated.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm sorry for the clickbaity title.  It's a great CPU for a meaningful niche of people, but it's double the price of a Ryzen 3 ($100) more.  Maybe it's 20-30% better based on practical benchmarks.

If you have (or plan on buying) a monitor over 60 Hz and you want to game at high frame rates, definitely go with Ryzen 5.

If you are passionate about content creation and want to edit videos in 4K, definitely go for it.  But if you're just a dilletante like myself who claims to have aspirations to create professional content but just spends most of his time browsing the net and playing Overwatch, don't waste your money.

For a lot of budget and mid-range builds, there are more impactful ways to invest the money: a solid state drive for sure, a good pair of headphones, a device to improve your network speed (if its faulty), putting it toward a video or a high resolution monitor or toward even a very comfortable chair.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

I'm aiming for Coffee Lake by this time next year, probably be playing 1440p @ 144Hz or so. Also, I thought refresh rate and resolution depended mostly on graphics power, not CPU

Just now, minervx said:

but it's double the price of a Ryzen 3 ($100) more.  Maybe it's 20-30% better based on practical benchmarks.

Unless you only consider gaming to be a practical benchmark, no it isn't. Ryzen 5 it's almost 2x as fast as Ryzen 3 provided the application can take advantage of the cores.

Ryzen as a whole is overrated. Beyond delivering Haswell level performance for most consumer workloads for a decently lesser amount of scratch, it's nothing new. Basically, everything in the x86 world post Haswell is heavily overrated.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Personally I'd go for an i3 8100, and will do on my next build since I'm just aiming to hit 60 fps.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Ryzen as a whole is overrated. Beyond delivering Haswell level performance for most consumer workloads for a decently lesser amount of scratch, it's nothing new. Basically, everything in the x86 world post Haswell is heavily overrated.

Life is overrated

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

Life is overrated

Everything is overrated.

Except sex. That is grossly overrated.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Everything is overrated.

Except sex. That is grossly overrated.

except shrek. Shrek is underrated

except shrek. Shrek is underrated

Shrek is excessively overrated. Almost as much as Overwatch Overhype.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Unless you only consider gaming to be a practical benchmark, no it isn't. Ryzen 5 it's almost 2x as fast as Ryzen 3 provided the application can take advantage of the cores.

Ryzen 3 = 4 cores

Ryzen 5 = 6 cores

It has 50% more cores. If it scaled perfectly, and it doesn't, it would be 50% faster. 

What you're saying makes no sense. 

Or maybe if you don't overclock them at all. Since Ryze 3 runs on slower frequency.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Shrek is excessively overrated. Almost as much as Overwatch Overhype.

is there anything underrated?

is there anything underrated?

Charleston Chew.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Ryzen 3 = 4 cores

Ryzen 5 = 6 cores

It has 50% more cores. If it scaled perfectly, and it doesn't, it would be 50% faster. 

What you're saying makes no sense. 

Or maybe if you don't overclock them at all. Since Ryze 3 runs on slower frequency.

1600X scores 1200 Cinebench points, 1300 only gets 600 points.

Just now, Cookybiscuit said:

1600X scores 1200 Cinebench points, 1300 only gets 600 points :/

The problem is cinebench is not Representative of true performance in-game. If this was true, the Xeon E5-2699 v4 would be the fastest gaming CPU at 2.2GHz.

1 minute ago, Cookybiscuit said:

That's where I stopped reading.

You sound like an ostrich buying their head in the sand because they refuse to acknowledge the truth. 

You sound like an ostrich buying their head in the sand because they refuse to acknowledge the truth. 

I guess only a retard would buy a TR 1950X then, the R3 1200 is like 10% the price and offers 90% the performance by your measure.

1 minute ago, Cookybiscuit said:

I guess only a retard would buy a TR 1950X then, the R3 1200 is like 10% the price and offers 90% the performance by your measure.

If you're using that CPU for gaming, yes. If it's for content creation, then I can see the appeal. I thought you were trying to equate cinebench scores to performance in-game.

28 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

For clarity it's 50% faster at the same clock speed not 2x, and only if the software scales 1:1 with core count

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Seriously, an individual should not look at those CPUs if just gaming, unless an individual really don't mind blowing money on one.

On the issue of benchmarks, benchmarks should never be taken as showing real world performance for applications.  At most for ball parking performance depending on benchmark.  That where looking at reviews showing what a chip can do in either a variety of games, rendering applications, editing, etc. are best for finding that info.

Just a nutty gal that abuse hardware with F@H and BOINC.

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 4690K Delid, E5-2670V3, 1900X, 1950X, 5960X J Batch

My GPU Army:960 FTW at 1551MHz, 1080Ti FTW3, 1080Ti SC, 1070 Hybrid, 2x Titan XP

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad 9.7" (2018 model), Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Ryzen has bought 8c/16t to the mainstream forcing Intel to start thinking about doing the same, AMD will continue to refine Ryzen which will make it even more competitive.

4 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

For clarity it's 50% faster at the same clock speed not 2x, and only if the software scales 1:1 with core count

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_3_1200_and_1300x_review,15.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_3_1200_and_1300x_review,17.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_3_1200_and_1300x_review,11.html

I'm not very good at maths, but those 1300X to 1600X numbers look bigger than 50% increases to me.

2 minutes ago, spat55 said:

Ryzen has bought 8c/16t to the mainstream forcing Intel to start thinking about doing the same, AMD will continue to refine Ryzen which will make it even more competitive.

The only thing that Intel was forced to do was speed up release dates. As for the whole "Ryzen brought the whole 8c/16t to the mainstream," that's a lie. Ryzen 7 brought it to the same chipset, but it is not a mainstream chip and realistically, won't outperform any Haswell+ i7 for most tasks consumers have, and will be outmoded by the time 8 cores is worthwhile.

And to be quite frank, Epyc is the only product of the entire Ryzen stack that is really any sort of accomplishment, and even then, it's nothing special.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.