ASRock support is terrible.

The Oddball

I have a Z270 Killer Wifi/AC board, and it has a slight problem. The fans on it run at 100% always, no matter what I set the curve to in the BIOS. I called them up for an RMA, and explained my problem, followed by a hangup from the person on the phone. (Not to mention being on hold for 10 minutes) I won't be buying another ASRock product again.

Quick question. Do the fans you’re trying to connect to the motherboard have 3 pins or 4 pins.

If they’re 3 pins, ensure the power control settings are set to “voltage control” in the EUFI.

Likewise, if they’re 4 pins, ensure that the power control settings are set to “PWM”.

Sorry, If you feel insulted; let’s just make sure it’s an issue with the motherboard. 

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2015) || Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x299 Gaming 9 || CPU: Intel i7-7820x (38% OC- 5.00 GHz) || RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 8GB @ 3466 MHz (x4)- DDR4  || GPU: MSI  Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 500GB || OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro || Chassis: Thermaltake The Tower 900 || Cooling Solution: Custom open loop water cooling system with a 560mm radiator and a CPU water water-block || Display: ROG Swift PG279Q || Pointing Device: Razer Mamba (2016) || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 || Headset: Astro A50 Wireless ||

The hangup part of your story seems really rude. They probably didn't do that on purpose but how can a somewhat big company do something like this...? 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

17 hours ago, Morgoth97 said:

Quick question. Do the fans you’re trying to connect to the motherboard have 3 pins or 4 pins.

If they’re 3 pins, ensure the power control settings are set to “voltage control” in the EUFI.

Likewise, if they’re 4 pins, ensure that the power control settings are set to “PWM”.

Sorry, If you feel insulted; let’s just make sure it’s an issue with the motherboard. 

4. The motherboard doesn't have any option to change to PWM or DC mode, it's selected PWM for me.

5 hours ago, The Oddball said:

4. The motherboard doesn't have any option to change to PWM or DC mode, it's selected PWM for me.

It probably picked automatically. 

Are you running the fans directly to the board or are you using fan splitters, a fan hub or a fan controller? 

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2015) || Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x299 Gaming 9 || CPU: Intel i7-7820x (38% OC- 5.00 GHz) || RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 8GB @ 3466 MHz (x4)- DDR4  || GPU: MSI  Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 500GB || OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro || Chassis: Thermaltake The Tower 900 || Cooling Solution: Custom open loop water cooling system with a 560mm radiator and a CPU water water-block || Display: ROG Swift PG279Q || Pointing Device: Razer Mamba (2016) || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 || Headset: Astro A50 Wireless ||

4 hours ago, Morgoth97 said:

It probably picked automatically. 

Are you running the fans directly to the board or are you using fan splitters, a fan hub or a fan controller? 

I already tried all of this. I ran multiple fans, splitters, no splitters, all fan headers, nothing different

On 11/17/2017 at 6:09 PM, Jasun said:

The hangup part of your story seems really rude. They probably didn't do that on purpose but how can a somewhat big company do something like this...? 

Could it have been an accident? 

I never heard of support purposely hanging up on ppl 

Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U *insert firetruck picture* :) 

If you called only once, got hung up on once, and the person didn't say anything to you when it happened, it's likely a disconnect. If you're that sensitive, you're going to have a very hard time getting through life. Mistakes happen. Get over it, try again and see what happens. Call until your problem is resolved. If you're not willing to do that, IMO you don't deserve a replacement.

Nothing in life is free. Work for it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I wouldn't put an entire support on one person from a giant company. It makes as much sense as saying a restaurant sucks because your steak was burned in 1 chain out of a thousand.

1 hour ago, The Oddball said:

Snip

As someone who has customer support teams to look after, it could have been an honest mistake by the rep. They could have been reaching to adjust the volume on their phone and bumped the wrong button. It does happen. What you should do is hit the redial button and try again before making assumptions. Mistakes happen and can be easily fixed in this situation. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

What fan are you using and what header is it plugged into? 

Moved to Air Cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

12 hours ago, KhandakeF said:

Could it have been an accident? 

I never heard of support purposely hanging up on ppl 

She was responding to me for like, a minute, then hung up.

12 hours ago, dizmo said:

If you called only once, got hung up on once, and the person didn't say anything to you when it happened, it's likely a disconnect. If you're that sensitive, you're going to have a very hard time getting through life. Mistakes happen. Get over it, try again and see what happens. Call until your problem is resolved. If you're not willing to do that, IMO you don't deserve a replacement.

Nothing in life is free. Work for it.

See above, and you don't need to be an ass about it.

12 hours ago, Mooshi said:

I wouldn't put an entire support on one person from a giant company. It makes as much sense as saying a restaurant sucks because your steak was burned in 1 chain out of a thousand.

True.

12 hours ago, Sylvie said:

Have you tried calling back? Have you tried switching to voltage control for your fans? 

No, I have not, and yes, I have.

12 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What fan are you using and what header is it plugged into? 

Moved to Air Cooling.

Noctua NF-F12 PPCs, and some AIO Corsair ones. Both never went below, and all the fan headers I tried were the same. CPU, CPU OPT, and all the case fan headers.

Also: follow-up, Greg from Science Studio is going to contact his rep at ASRock for me and hopefully send out a new board.

1 hour ago, The Oddball said:

Also: follow-up, Greg from Science Studio is going to contact how's rep at ASRock for me and hopefully send out a new board.

Wow, that’s impressive 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

12 hours ago, The Oddball said:

Noctua NF-F12 PPCs, and some AIO Corsair ones. Both never went below, and all the fan headers I tried were the same. CPU, CPU OPT, and all the case fan headers.

Also: follow-up, Greg from Science Studio is going to contact his rep at ASRock for me and hopefully send out a new board.

Are you reading 100% rpm from software or are you looking/listening how fast the fans sound? Both iPPC fans and Corsair AIO fans tend to be rated at high rpm and might give the wrong impression on how fast they're running. 

If it's both, it's probably a faulty board. In that case, opening a case through email or ASRock's website should be all you need for an RMA. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you reading 100% rpm from software or are you looking/listening how fast the fans sound? Both iPPC fans and Corsair AIO fans tend to be rated at high rpm and might give the wrong impression on how fast they're running. 

If it's both, it's probably a faulty board. In that case, opening a case through email or ASRock's website should be all you need for an RMA. 

It's both.