PS4 HD/SSD upgrade?

porina

I think I have a PS4 slim 1TB which to be honest I don't use much. I bought it for FFXV but didn't get more than a couple hours into it before going back to FFXIV on PC. Since then I did get GT Sport, and the load times kinda suck so I haven't really done much on there either.

Why ask about SSD now? I just ordered PSVR given its current UK price drop, so I'm thinking it would be a possible performance enhancer if I drop a SSD in it before that arrives. I have a Sandisk 480GB I could pull out of my VR desktop as I don't use that much either... is it worth the effort? Trying to find recent articles on how SSD affects load times but failing.

My list of PS4 games isn't long anyway, so I'm hoping I wont be short of capacity at 480GB:

Lego Star Wars

GT Sport

FFXV

Skyrim + Worlds will come with the VR bundle.

I think I have some download games too, including Plants vs. Zombie Garden Warfare but again assume they're insignificant.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 minutes ago, porina said:

I think I have a PS4 slim 1TB which to be honest I don't use much. I bought it for FFXV but didn't get more than a couple hours into it before going back to FFXIV on PC. Since then I did get GT Sport, and the load times kinda suck so I haven't really done much on there either.

Why ask about SSD now? I just ordered PSVR given its current UK price drop, so I'm thinking it would be a possible performance enhancer if I drop a SSD in it before that arrives. I have a Sandisk 480GB I could pull out of my VR desktop as I don't use that much either... is it worth the effort? Trying to find recent articles on how SSD affects load times but failing.

My list of PS4 games isn't long anyway, so I'm hoping I wont be short of capacity at 480GB:

Lego Star Wars

GT Sport

FFXV

Skyrim + Worlds will come with the VR bundle.

I think I have some download games too, including Plants vs. Zombie Garden Warfare but again assume they're insignificant.

Yes it would work, but copy the data on the computer

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

You might want to consider getting an external case/cable for the SSD. PS4 Slim apparently runs the internal storage in SATAII speeds, so you might as well go with an external drive and keep the 1TB for games that have quick loading times.

I Googled "PS4 SSD upgrade" and the second result contained promising results.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-ps4-pro-ssd-upgrade-does-sata-3-make-a-difference

I've thought of doing this as well but at the end of the day, it just didn't seem worth the money. I'd rather have a bigger internal hard drive. If I was rich, it would be a different story though lol. It's all up to personal preference though. if you want to do it, then I say go for it.

I've gone ahead and done it... backed up save data, downloaded the install file, put in SSD, spent a while figuring out why the install wasn't working (I didn't read carefully enough and file was in wrong location), fixed that, updated, logged in, restored saves, downloading/updating software patches now. Gonna be an overnight job. With just saves restored it was showing about 1GB used out of 390GB, presumably the rest of the 480GB SSD is reserved for system. I think it does feel nippier when doing disk tasks, but the true test will be in real game loading.

The HD I took out was a HGST 5400 rpm model.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible