Do I need to install OS from scratch?

TywinLannister

Hey guys, recently decided to do a near complete upgrade of my hardware system. So I was wondering, as I will be using the same Harddrive from the old build (which Windows 10 is currently installed on), will I just need to buy the key and enter it in the prompts or would I need to download the Windows 10 installation prior to breaking down the hardware before donning it up with the new gear?

EDIT: I also have the Digital license (the free version they handed out). Another question that I would like to ask which is related to that is; do I need to buy Windows 10 at all? The only hardware that I'm keeping from the old build is the GPU, Harddrive and CD drive. Mobo, CPU etc will be replaced. 

Usually with windows 10, it should run after a hardware move. (mine going from socket 775 to Core I 5 4xxx did the change really well, but I installed fresh anyways) 

To bring the point across, it is always better do do a clean install after a severe hardware upgrade than trying to drag the old OS along. You may run into errors no one can fix. 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

16 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

Usually with windows 10, it should run after a hardware move. (mine going from socket 775 to Core I 5 4xxx did the change really well, but I installed fresh anyways) 

To bring the point across, it is always better do do a clean install after a severe hardware upgrade than trying to drag the old OS along. You may run into errors no one can fix. 

I'm going to disagree. I've moved OSes between hardware for decades, never had any sort of post move issues.

There are two schools of thought to the move:

(1) It saves a lot of time, everything is already there.

(2) It drags along any sort of cruft.

If your OS install is fairly new, there is no harm in not re-installing. If, on the other hand, there's lots of crap you don't want, then by all means, start fresh. But either way won't hurt anything.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

i did that recently had 2 sata ssds in raid 0 and when i went from z270 to x299 they still worked. but everything ran like crap i think the drivers were confusing eachother and it ran so much better after a fresh install if you make link windows to a microsoft account its pretty easy to transfer your key to new hardware

How big was the jump? From Intel to AMD or other way around, there can be issues. I've seen people do it without issues too. Same thing if you are jumping from 5yo platform to newest. You can always try first to just boot into new system and do reinstall if things aren't working.

As for key, that depends what kind of key you are using now. Is it OEM, retail or branded OEM. And mainly is it connected to your MS account or not. So go on and try with current key first and go through other steps like calling MS and crying or just buy new key.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'm going to disagree. I've moved OSes between hardware for decades, never had any sort of post move issues.

There are two schools of thought to the move:

(1) It saves a lot of time, everything is already there.

(2) It drags along any sort of cruft.

If your OS install is fairly new, there is no harm in not re-installing. If, on the other hand, there's lots of crap you don't want, then by all means, start fresh. But either way won't hurt anything.

For experienced users a move from different hardware with an OS is a good and "easy" thing. 

For most users here that ask questions it is not easy to move an OS properly to a new hardware platform.

FYI I moved my windows XP from Athlon 2600, to C2D 4300 with VIA chipset, then to C2D E8400 on N650i chipset, then finally migrated to 7, which got moved from the c2d to the machine in my signature, and then got upgraded without fresh install to win 10. 

Yes it is doable. Is it a guarantee, no. Is it easier for someone who has deeper knowledge in OS and hardware, yes for sure. 

TBH I like to keep my OS, because every fresh install is a pain in the back because of having everything back that is needed. I don't have a spreadsheet of things I need to have installed. But after going fresh, until the whole toolbox is filled up again there are lots of headaches =) tools missing when you need them. 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

well if you upgraded from a retail version of win10, your key will work. if it was a OEM pc, then it might not.

I had that OEM issue... board died, (socket 775) and replacement was a Z87 chipset board. I called MS support why the license isn't reactivating itself. 

After 30 minutes of them sifting through the system, taking logs, analyzing them, they got me a fresh key for zilch. So the machine is all ok again. 

But then, it depends on who you get on the support line. 

I bought about 5 win 7 pro 64 lics while they were cheap and upgradeable for free to Win 10... it was one of them. 

Main System:

Okay I should point out my old specs (current). So if it is possible (and safe), then am I able to just move my OS across? As you can see here, all of these aside from the graphics are about 4 and a bit years old (BIO version dates to the 13/06/2013)

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz    
    Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8B75-M (LGA1155)  
Graphics
    E2442 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (MSI)    
Storage
    111GB KINGSTON SVP200S37A120G ATA Device (SSD)    
    931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 ATA Device (SATA)   
Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 ATA Device

I'm eyeing off between an i5 6700k and a i7 7700

Also, with in regards to the key, is it the Windows 7 key that my Windows was upgraded from or does Windows 10 supply you a new one. If so, how do I find it?

Your Windows 10 license is typically tied to a combination of hardware and the MAC address. Swapping a hard drive with a valid license into another computer that has never run a licensed version of Windows 10 will unlicense it.

Windows 7, when upgraded to Win10, creates and registers a Win10 key to the hardware, just as if you had purchased a Win10 key. No real difference there.

Hopefully that answers your Q?

If you are only keeping the GPU and HDD, it will likely unlicense the install.

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-7820X @ 4.2GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
  • RAM
    32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4
  • GPU
    GTX 1080Ti FE
  • Case
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX
  • Storage
    500GB 960 Pro SSD, 240GB PNY SATA SSD, 3TB WD Red NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair RMx Series, RM850x
  • Display(s)
    3x 1080p Garbage
  • Cooling
    Fully Custom EK :D
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma "Clicky"
  • Mouse
    Razer Super Mega Black Mamba of Death 9000DPI
  • Sound
    Logitech Something with a broken bass adjustment knob so it's always rupturing spleens
  • Operating System
    NSA-Approved version of Windows 10 Pro

34 minutes ago, TywinLannister said:

You don't need to have a key to use windows 10, just hit I don't have a key during install

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

7 minutes ago, BWLServers said:

Your Windows 10 license is typically tied to a combination of hardware and the MAC address. Swapping a hard drive with a valid license into another computer that has never run a licensed version of Windows 10 will unlicense it.

Windows 7, when upgraded to Win10, creates and registers a Win10 key to the hardware, just as if you had purchased a Win10 key. No real difference there.

Hopefully that answers your Q?

If you are only keeping the GPU and HDD, it will likely unlicense the install.

So basically I'll just have to buy another license? In that case, would I need to reinstall Windows 10 or just use to key that I would hypothetically purchase before dissembling the computer? 

22 hours ago, TywinLannister said:

Okay I should point out my old specs (current). So if it is possible (and safe), then am I able to just move my OS across? As you can see here, all of these aside from the graphics are about 4 and a bit years old (BIO version dates to the 13/06/2013)

Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz    

I'm eyeing off between an i5 6700k and a i7 7700

You should be ok. But I haven't done any Win10 moves myself so I can't say for sure. It is big jump still, but Intel-Intel is easier than what AMD-Intel or Intel-AMD would be. (Or even FX-Ryzen). Like I said, you can still do reinstall and even save old Windows files if its not working properly.

22 hours ago, TywinLannister said:

Also, with in regards to the key, is it the Windows 7 key that my Windows was upgraded from or does Windows 10 supply you a new one. If so, how do I find it?

Are you using Microsoft account to log in? Aka did you register key with Microsoft account when you did upgrade to Win10? Win7 key is now usable in both OS versions. So you can directly install Win10 and then add Win7 key or just log into account. I'm pretty sure that it will just activate, though if it doesn't, calling to MS support usually has solved these issues.

And if key isn't registered to your Microsoft account, you can get it out by using MagicalJellybean and similar software.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv