Tesla Unveils - Semi Truck and next-gen Roadster

aubryscully
7 hours ago, Smoofie said:

Emission friendly isn't eco friendly tho, especially when  it's coals powering the charge points and required materials for the batteries are also not mined in what one would say an eco friendly environment. I also cant imagine a hundred trucks are more economic than a single train, when it comes to containers.

And? All the more reason to shut down coal and replace it with something more efficient and more environmentally friendly:

Natural Gas (Still a pollutant, but less so over Coal)

Nuclear

Solar/Wind

Hydro

Obviously Wind and Hydro are dependent on local conditions, but there are way better methods of electric power generation over Coal.

Take Ontario: There's not a single Coal plant left in the province, and we only have a handful of Natural Gas plants. Most power comes from Nuclear, then Hydro. Both are incredibly environmentally friendly.

2 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I still think it's funny that Tesla named their cars S, 3 and X.

Actually the Model 3 WAS going to be called the Model E (And therefore, it would actually spell SEX, not S3X) - but Ford sued them, because Ford owns trademarks and copyright with "Model E", due to several vehicles they do/have sold.

23 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Something most Tesla drivers will never have.

You sound a little bitter - I'm sure most of them get just as much sex as any other normal person.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Elon stated he himself had no plans on building it back when he first talked about it.

Did he not announce that only 2 months ago? Besides that SpaceX, not Tesla.

Yep Elon came up with the concept. Other companies are actually attempting to build them.

And yes, SpaceX just talked about that with their new Rocket.

People need to calm the fuck down when it comes to Tesla - they expect too much, too quickly, and get mad when he doesn't meet goals that he didn't even set.

I will acknowledge that Tesla is way behind on Model 3 production though.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

53 minutes ago, Bigbootyjudy said:

Well I wasn't really expecting to start manufacturing/developing semi trucks, you never know lol. 

I think they could as like a luxury passenger vehicle. I personally think that it would be nice to have a very quiet 7-8 passenger vehicle. 

some models of the X seat 7.

14 hours ago, dizmo said:

-snip-

I think it also depends hugely on the cost. A lot of truckers are private, and if the truck is priced too high it'll be hard for it to gain traction. 1,000,000 mile warranty might seem crazy, but it's actually pretty short in the scheme of things.

-snip-

Since the sticker price wasn't disclosed at the presentation I am worried about the upfront cost, but depending on how it's financed it could competitive since the cost per mile is basically guaranteed to be at least $0.25/mile cheaper. If the truck is driven 1,000,000 miles that would be a savings of $250,000. It would have to be in a scenario where the truck is worked to death for the 1,000,000 miles for this to be the case though. If the truck's autopilot eventually allows one driver at the front of a convoy control more than just one vehicle on the road at the same time (some driverless trucks following a manned front runner) this could be very profitable (since there would be less human capital to pay for per unit of freight).

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

4 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

2.3 vs 1.9 is probably a massive difference. 4.2 feels significantly faster than 4.6, so that trend probably continues.

When cars are that fast the technical challenges to make them faster is immense. Adding more power isn't that effective and while reducing weight is the most effective it also reduces static traction which is pretty much the most important thing to have, which is why modern 4WD high performance cars can get off the line faster than 2WD.

4 hours ago, aubryscully said:

The average internal combustion engine can only convert 20% of the raw energy of fuel into usable mechanical energy. A modern coal power plant can convert 80% of this raw energy into electrical energy. Therefore EVs are actually much more environmentally friendly. Also, not all power has to be produced by coal. You can also produce it via wind, hydro, solar, or even nuclear.

Agreed about the EV vehicles. Especially when the power you are getting is renewable. (Although that doesn't account for the cost of the natural devastation created by flooding a large area to build hydro stations.) If it weren't for the fact that my country get so damn cold and snowy in winter, i'd say electric vehicles would be a huge hit here. Especially considering over 92% of our power is hydro and thanks to that our electricity is super cheap.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

15 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Long-haul is probably forever out with battery tech. Would need massive shifts before that happens. However, this could be very interesting for short-haul and local-haul. 

Personally, I was hoping to see innovation in the diesel electric area. Having that incredible versatility and simplicity while being able to just fill a tank, and go? That would be downright amazing. Maybe someone else will do it?

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

Something worth noting is that their quoted range is at full legal load allowed on the freeway. Most 40ft shipping containers allow for a maximum of 68,000 pounds, well below what they were tested at. On top of that, containers are often far lighter based on what's inside. The 500 mile range will likely be closer to 600 or 700, and the fact that 80% of trips made are under 250 miles is a pretty important point from the presentation.

5 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

i think part of doing semi trucks is to establish a network of charging stations. That way it becomes more feasible for consumers to use their cars as they could charge anywhere. 

They already have a network of charging stations....

I don't think the commercial one would be the same as the consumer ones.

3 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I still think it's funny that Tesla named their cars S, 3 and X.

I think originally the 3 was supposed to be the E, but they abandoned it.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Freight trains are already electric, they just have diesel generators on board to power the motors.  A battery bank would allow for regenerative brakes and improve general efficiency.

Also there are places that run electric freight trains. Here In Australia for example. 

For some reason I think if it were something worth doing, they'd have already done it.

44 minutes ago, ATFink said:

Since the sticker price wasn't disclosed at the presentation I am worried about the upfront cost, but depending on how it's financed it could competitive since the cost per mile is basically guaranteed to be at least $0.25/mile cheaper. If the truck is driven 1,000,000 miles that would be a savings of $250,000. It would have to be in a scenario where the truck is worked to death for the 1,000,000 miles for this to be the case though. If the truck's autopilot eventually allows one driver at the front of a convoy control more than just one vehicle on the road at the same time (some driverless trucks following a manned front runner) this could be very profitable (since there would be less human capital to pay for per unit of freight).

Yeah, that'd definitely be an interesting thought. I think a convoy like that is still pretty far from being considered acceptable though. Though since highways are generally pretty well laid out and maintained, it's not unfeasible that you could have individual drivers drive the trucks to the highway, turn into a convoy there where it's "safer", then get drivers to navigate through the city on the other side. Though, considering most trips are under 250 miles, I don't think it'd be a huge concern any time soon.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

For some reason I think if it were something worth doing, they'd have already done it.

Just like tesla only really being able to get electric trucks on the road now, the same tech is only really starting to become viable now.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/australia-nz/auckland-council-approves-order-for-caf-battery-electric-trains.html

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

For those curious, here is what being in the passenger seat of the roadster is like.

Can't wait to see the crashes people have in these. A person who isn't into cars driving something capable of 0-160mph in less than nine seconds doesn't mix.

19 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Just like tesla only really being able to get electric trucks on the road now, the same tech is only really starting to become viable now.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/australia-nz/auckland-council-approves-order-for-caf-battery-electric-trains.html

Interesting. Regenerative braking isn't really anything new and they've had diesel electric trains for what, almost 90 years?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

With Deisel-Electric having been around for some time on locomotives I am genuinely surprised we have yet developed a diesel-electric semi-truck already honestly. The torque that electric motors produce is monstrous.

I for one am happy to see this announcement.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

18 hours ago, Phate.exe said:

I'm hesitant to buy tesla's numbers here.  It seems like they would have to have made some serious advancements to motor/battery and tire tech just to make a car like that possible, and I feel like they'd be shouting about that a lot more if that was the case.

Tires are not a problem.

There already are vehicles which can do under 1 second 0-60.

Motor tech is already extremely good, as you can see from the Rimac Concept One or other Tesla vehicles.

It is definitely possible to reach those accelerations with electric motors.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So many people nitpicking scenarios that may or may not happen essentially putting down a more economical and environmentally-friendly technology in favor of fossil fuels.

I think I may have found my next car! 0-100 in seconds AND a convertible AND electric! Sign me up, Elon!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

53 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Interesting. Regenerative braking isn't really anything new and they've had diesel electric trains for what, almost 90 years?

That's my point.  essentially they're just waiting for batteries to become good enough.  Even though my main point was simply questioning the claim about being more economic than rail transport (especially given rail transport for heavy goods is tens times more efficient than current trucks, either the telsa truck is 10 times more efficient than current trucks or current trains don't need to do much to become better again).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Interesting, but I am still waiting if they pull off an electric truck.  (The cars are neat, but I don't care to own one.  I rather have a truck)

Considering Ford coming out with a hybrid F150 in 2020, VIA and Workhorse have working hybrid trucks (Workhorse making drones and electric vans for UPS).  Seems Telsa better get working on releasing a truck soon.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

52 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Tires are not a problem.

There already are vehicles which can do under 1 second 0-60.

Street tires.  Not gummy drag slicks on a prepped surface.  I've seen much slower cars pull the front wheels off the ground coming off the line.

Wouldn't surprise me if those numbers were on on drag radials or something.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

3 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Street tires.  Not gummy drag slicks on a prepped surface.  I've seen much slower cars pull the front wheels off the ground coming off the line.

Wouldn't surprise me if those numbers were on on drag radials or something.

Yeah of course, point is that tires can be engineered to take what is necessary.

A $250k car would not be designed with tires that would break after a few accelerations, especially from a company such as Tesla.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Yeah of course, point is that tires can be engineered to take what is necessary.

A $250k car would not be designed with tires that would break after a few accelerations, especially from a company such as Tesla.

It's not a matter of "they'll break after a few launches"

It's a matter of "They only work on dry or prepped pavement, you'll die if you try to drive in the rain".

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

3 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

It's not a matter of "they'll break after a few launches"

It's a matter of "They only work on dry or prepped pavement, you'll die if you try to drive in the rain".

You know that plenty of sports cars that already exist today have tires that work fine both on dry pavement AND in rain?? :o

Obviously don't expect 1.9s 0-60 in rain or dirty pavement, but only idiot drivers would try to do something unsafe like that.

That's not a problem of the tires, that's on the driver.

Spoiler