IPS or 1ms 144hz

Popple2000

Hey guys, just wondering your opinions on what monitor you would suggest.  I have been looking at the BenQ XL2420TE and it looks very nice, however I mostly play MMO's ( wow mostly ) with some CS:GO, BF4, SC2, SWTOR etc.  Basically my question i guess is whether I should go for an IPS panel or a quick/good TN panel.  I have never personally had a IPS panel, so I guess I dont really know what im missing - That being said, I do enjoy nice color/picture quality but can also see the benefit from the quick response time of the 2420TE.  I am leaning more towards a 24' monitor @1080 but have also looked at 27' 1440.  I should also mention that backlight bleeding and any dead pixles would drive me insane.  My budget is roughly 500 +/- lower would always be better but I dont mind spending enough to get something nice.  Also, currently I am still using my GTX 460 but if I do get a new monitor farly soon I would also be getting a 780.

Thanks !

As creepymoth said, response time means practically nothing now.

They can't decide on a standard and they all have different ways of testing the response time so advertised MS is useless.

Go with the IPS.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

IPS always.

quick/good TN panel

There is no such thing as a "good" TN panel. Slightly faster response time is not worth sacrificing image quality. :)

Would you guys wait for g-sync ?  and if not, do you have any suggestions on a specific IPS panel ?

IPS always.

There is no such thing as a "good" TN panel. Slightly faster response time is not worth sacrificing image quality. :)

Ofc no where near an IPS or a VA panel.  But an option for those who need the HERTZ!

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

IPS always.

Unless you want to have the absolute best chance at killing your enemies or whatnot.

Ofc no where near an IPS or a VA panel.  But an option for those who need the HERTZ!

Ya, thats the TN I was looking at :)

Unless you want to have the absolute best chance at killing your enemies or whatnot.

If a player has to resort to a cheap TN for that minute difference vs using a superior panel, they suck at gaming. :P

Probably the only TN worth considering, but I'd still choose an IPS over it anyday.

Probably the only TN worth considering, but I'd still choose an IPS over it anyday.

And I'd choose a VA over an IPS anyday!

boom

And I'd choose a VA over an IPS anyday!

boom

Either is fine. It's that washed out colour effect that drives me mad, man. As someone that deals with precise hues, a TN would be a nightmare. :P

If a player has to resort to a cheap TN for that minute difference vs using a superior panel, they suck at gaming. :P

I meant TN panels in general, including 120Hz models. The difference in response time and smoothness while gaming was huge compared to my previous TN monitor, and I'd imagine IPS/PLS would be even worse in this regard.

However, those grey to grey response time measurements seem pretty unreliable.

Can anyone reccomend a specifc Monitor then ? in the sub 500$ range - or would it be smarter to wait for g-sync ?

Either is fine. It's that washed out colour effect that drives me mad, man. As someone that deals with precise hues, a TN would be a nightmare. :P

:D

They both have there place.

I prefer VA due to films and I want the nice deep blacks (specially for black bars)

No IPS I've looked at even the really expensive ones, have blacks which are acceptable to me :P

IPS is better suited for people who need colour accuracy in my eyes, which is well what they are for in the first place lols!

Both my main monitor and TV (in sig) are VA panels.  The monitor is a low quality one, but its decent and does its job and the TV is one of the best VA panels available right now, and its colours and blacks are superb, I've even put it along side a dell IPS, the dell was better but damn the VA puts up a decent fight.

I meant TN panels in general, including 120Hz models. The difference while gaming was huge compared to my previous TN monitor, and I'd imagine IPS/PLS would be even worse in this regard.

However, those grey to grey response time measurements seem pretty unreliable.

:D

They both have there place.

I prefer VA due to films and I want the nice deep blacks.

No IPS I've looked at even the really expensive ones, have blacks which are acceptable to me :P

IPS is better suited for people who need colour accuracy in my eyes (good VA ones, are pretty darn good though)

It's all the use that matters most. I was looking at this from a designers POV since accuracy is a must. :v

If I was all uber pro pew pew master, I'd probably care more about speed.

It's all the use that matters most. I was looking at this from a designers POV since accuracy is a must. :v

Agreed, that's basically what I was saying. ;)

funny-pictures-ambush-cat.jpg

The Dell P2314H is a good choice.  The U2414H would be good as well if you think you might want a multi-monitor setup in the future; it has a very thin bezel and supports DisplayPort daisy-chaining.

The U2412M or ASUS PA248Q are also nice if you like a 16:10 aspect ratio.

The Dell P2314H is a good choice.  The U2414H would be good as well if you think you might want a multi-monitor setup in the future; it has a very thin bezel and supports DisplayPort daisy-chaining.

I do enjoy 16:10, thank you for your recommendations :)

Do you have a personal pref from the monitors that you listed ?

Almost everyone on this forum will say IPS.

What do you find more important? Good color reproduction? Get an IPS. Smoother gameplay/no tearing? Get a 144Hz. 

MotherboardASUS M5A97 le R2.0, CPUAMD FX-6300, Graphics CardSapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB,

PSU: Corsair CX600M, RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series, HDD1TB Seagate Barracuda, CaseCM Storm Enforcer

Almost everyone on this forum will say IPS.

What do you find more important? Good color reproduction? Get an IPS. Smoother gameplay/no tearing? Get a 144Hz. 

If possible, I would love a combination of both :P  Is this possible ? The 8ms+ on most of the IPS monitors i see makes me nervous.

Do you have a personal pref from the monitors that you listed ?

I like them all xD  Between the 16:10 ones I like the PA248Q a little better (which I'm using right now), between the two 1080p monitors I like the U2414H better but of course it's almost double the price so... there's that.  Out of all of them... I'm not sure.  Probably would pick the PA248Q over again just because I really like 16:10, but they're all good monitors.

I like them all xD  Between the 16:10 ones I like the PA248Q a little better (which I'm using right now), between the two 1080p monitors I like the U2414H better but of course it's almost double the price so... there's that.  Out of all of them... I'm not sure.  Probably would pick the PA248Q over again just because I really like 16:10, but they're all good monitors.

Thanks alot, it's appreciated :)