Firefox survey puts AMD GPU marketshare ahead of Nvidia.

Apparently, even if only by a difference of around 1%, Firefox's hardware report says AMD GPUs are more widely used than Nvidia's. According to WCCFTECH: "Firefox hardware report places AMD at 15%, NVIDIA at 14% and Intel in the lead at 65%". 

Arguably, the discrepancy between this and the Steam report that puts Nvidia at around 80% could be attributed to target audience (which the article addresses as well), but between this and consoles, total AMD GPU use could be well of Nvidia's. It's a shame it doesn't translate to quarterly profit and the higher end market for AMD. 

I leave a link to the article for more information: https://wccftech.com/firefox-hardware-survey-puts-amd-ahead-of-nvidia-in-terms-of-gpu-market-share/

Firefox hardware report: https://hardware.metrics.mozilla.com/

This sound's great.

Until you realise only (approximately)around 10% of people using web browsers, use Firefox. So of the 10% of people who use Firefox, only 18% of however many that whole 10% is, use AMD.

fa3653cb58b56fa1663bde8451ee17ee.png

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just look at sales figures there is no need for surveys when the money can be followed, and the money says otherwise by a mountain

Also why do people take surveys? I don't understand why you would willingly waste your time for free to help a company make money

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

9 hours ago, RKRiley said:

This sound's great.

Until you realise only around 10% of people using web browsers, use Firefox

fa3653cb58b56fa1663bde8451ee17ee.png

Indeed, but that is 10% of world population, which is still ahead of Steam's ~1% sample size. 

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/30/0-9-of-the-global-population-have-steam-accounts/

EDIT: Apparently people need the clarification that when a publication says "10% or 1% worldwide", it has already taken into account issues like no internet access or is simply just measuring the universe (statistics) that qualifies, especially applicable when both need the same variable (internet access) to measure. So let it be known henceforth.

Edited by KuronoXD

2 minutes ago, KuronoXD said:

Indeed, but that is 10% of world population, which is still ahead of Steam's ~1% sample size. 

If you assume everyone took the survey maybe, neither are accurate sources of information regardless

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

6 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I don't understand why you would willingly waste your time for free to help a company make money

It's an easy way to give money to the companies you wish to support.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, KuronoXD said:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/30/0-9-of-the-global-population-have-steam-accounts/

I didn't know everyone in the world had access to the Internet. Shit, here I was believing that there was people in the world who had no way of accessing the Internet.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

The survey includes APU though? And all of those are in budget products due to how sluggish they are in basic tasks and games.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Just look at sales figures there is no need for surveys when the money can be followed, and the money says otherwise by a mountain

Also why do people take surveys? I don't understand why you would willingly waste your time for free to help a company make money

Pretty sure they aren't actual "surverys" that are filled in by the user, the data is collected automatically through the browser(or in steams case, through steam) which sends back to them the hardware that's being used.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

Pretty sure they aren't actual "surverys" that are filled in by the user, the data is collected automatically through the browser(or in steams case, through steam) which sends back to them the hardware that's being used.

They are opt in though, or at least I assume they are as I don't use Steam enough or Firefox at all to know.

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

The survey includes APU though? And all of those are in budget products due to how sluggish they are in basic tasks and games.

^this, if the survey's numbers are actually remotely accurate that would be the reason

5 minutes ago, MrImnotMLG said:

I didn't know everyone in the world had access to the Internet. Shit, here I was believing that there was people in the world who had no way of accessing the Internet.

Be constructive with comments, please. Of course people with no access won't participate, and this applies to both data sets. 

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Yep, that's why in this case AMD is ahead (and Intel dominates with around 80%) and in Steam it's more around 60% vs 20%. 

6 minutes ago, KuronoXD said:

Be constructive with comments, please. Of course people with no access won't participate, and this applies to both data sets. 

Yep, that's why in this case AMD is ahead (and Intel dominates with around 80%) and in Steam it's more around 60% vs 20%. 

This is a forum, not a debate. I can say whatever I want. I was pointing out the fact that your statement sounded like you believed everyone had access to the internet.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

To be fair, that's partially caused by the shoddy HDD that manufacturers put into them. This doesn't just affect AMD based laptops either. My sister's laptop even with an i5 5257U takes 1m 30s to boot up and then takes something like 30 seconds to open up chrome just because the HDD it has is always pinned at 100% (even after leaving it alone for 20 mins, after booting up). 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I dont even know why they bother publishing the result. Anyone with half a brain would know its way off mark, making it useless and should be trashed.

20 minutes ago, MrImnotMLG said:

This is a forum, not a debate. I can say whatever I want. I was pointing out the fact that your statement sounded like you believed everyone had access to the internet.

Easy there, no freedom of speech infringement. However, your ability of saying whatever you want does not equate to other people having to accept your sarcasm for a conclusion you came to on your own, about something you thought I meant.

tl;dr: I respect you can say whatever, but I don't have to accept your being a dick about it.

18 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

To be fair, that's partially caused by the shoddy HDD that manufacturers put into them. This doesn't just affect AMD based laptops either. My sister's laptop even with an i5 5257U takes 1m 30s to boot up and then takes something like 30 seconds to open up chrome just because the HDD it has is always pinned at 100% (even after leaving it alone for 20 mins, after booting up). 

I had a laptop with an AMD E2-1800 and a bloody awful HDD, even opening new tabs in chrome would make it hit 100% utilization. Put a 840 EVO in it, soo much faster... still shit slow though because E2-1800 lol. At least after that upgrade I didn't want to hulk smash it and throw it out of a moving car.

5 minutes ago, KuronoXD said:

Easy there, no freedom of speech infringement. However, your ability of saying whatever you want does not equate to other people having to accept your sarcasm for a conclusion you came to on your own about something you thought I meant.

tl;dr: I respect you can say whatever, but I don't have to accept your being a dick about it.

He's only partially correct, you can say what you like within the bounds of the Community Standards.

Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
"Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
Remember your audience; both present and future.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/965477-community-standards/

Some wise words from Wil Wheaton :).

How is the report created?

The data for this report comes from Firefox’s built-in Telemetry data system. Firefox automatically collects information about desktop hardware and operating system configurations and sends this to Mozilla roughly daily, unless users disable this collection. This raw data is processed to remove corrupted or inaccurate entries and is then aggregated. This aggregation anonymizes the data, removing indicators that might be used to identify individual users.

During the aggregation step, less common screen resolutions and OS versions are handled as special cases—resolutions are rounded to the nearest hundred and version numbers are collapsed together in a generic group. Any reported configurations that account for less than 1% of the data are grouped together in an “Other” bucket. At the end of the process, the aggregated, anonymized data is exported to a public JSON file and published on the Mozilla Metrics website.

https://hardware.metrics.mozilla.com/

8 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

I dont even know why they bother publishing the result. Anyone with half a brain would know its way off mark, making it useless and should be trashed.

A third party tech research firm independently came up with similar numbers to Firefox's results, although the 1% advantage is flipped in there (Also, this was Q1 2017).

https://www.jonpeddie.com/press-releases/moderate-sales-in-the-first-quarter-the-gpu-industry-starts-to-gear-up-for

It's about 7 - 3 nVidia discreet GPUs
and about 7 - 3 intel desktop CPU's

The metrics from this survey offer no insight into discreet GPU market share.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

34 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Not really-and I'm referring to after the laptops have booted not during. Every AMD APU based laptop that I've used has had an SSD that could at least saturate SATA II, and all of them have been sluggish-more so than my mum's current laptop with a 5400RPM HDD and i5-2540M. The damn things choke on 720p 60fps videos for crying out loud (talking about the A8 series BTW-the A6 and A4 series would be even worse).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

8 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I am not surprised Firefox users would lean more towards AMD. You'll probably find a similarly curious correlation between Firefox and Windows 7 or Linux users vs 10.

Really? How so?

8 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Not really-and I'm referring to after the laptops have booted not during. Every AMD APU based laptop that I've used has had an SSD that could at least saturate SATA II, and all of them have been sluggish-more so than my mum's current laptop with a 5400RPM HDD and i5-2540M. The damn things choke on 720p 60fps videos for crying out loud (talking about the A8 series BTW-the A6 and A4 series would be even worse).

Never had an AMD powered laptop as of yet (including the ones I choose every 2-3 years for my family members). While they don't choke on basic stuff like video playback, they do spend an insufferable amount of time opening even simple programs, like MS Word. It almost always is fixed by putting in an SSD, though.

16 minutes ago, KuronoXD said:

Really? How so?

Never had an AMD powered laptop as of yet (including the ones I choose every 2-3 years for my family members). While they don't choke on basic stuff like video playback, they do spend an insufferable amount of time opening even simple programs, like MS Word. It almost always is fixed by putting in an SSD, though.

Chrome is rather popular but people who would use Firefox today seem like more tech saavy types that one some feature or characteristic about Firefox that Chrome doesn't offers (even as simple as "It's not Google cause they're evil"). The same kind of user might favor AMD as the "value for the money" or more "Free source friendly*" type while intel and Nvidia are inherently more restrictive companies.

I'm mostly guessing here so don't take this as gospel I might be totally wrong but that's the feeling I get.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This just in, Russian government survey puts the peoples preference for Putin at 87%.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.