PC not shutting down correctly?

Majestic_Koala
Go to solution Solved by userzero,

In the advanced power settings you can find advanced power buttons and lid, and then power button action. Might be set to sleep instead of shut down.

I use my power button to turn my PC off too but I just tap it and it triggers the proper OS shutdown procedure.

Recently i have noticed that windows 10 won't shut down correctly, rather it will just go to sleep instead. When i press and hold the button on my PC some days it will shut down completely and some days it just goes to sleep.

So I started to use the power icon in windows 10 and manually click "shut down" but still, randomly it will go to sleep instead.

I have no idea what's wrong and while it isn't a huge issue it is kinda annoying 

Why are you pressing and holding the power button? That will cause a manual shut off. Usually takes around 6 seconds and is not the correct way to shutdown an OS as I'm sure you know.

Have you been into "power options" and looked at all the functions, and advanced functions, within it?

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

2 minutes ago, userzero said:

Why are you pressing and holding the power button? That will cause a manual shut off. Usually takes around 6 seconds and is not the correct way to shutdown an OS as I'm sure you know.

Have you been into "power options" and looked at all the functions, and advanced functions, within it?

Well, I tried just a button press and it didn't always work, maybe i didn't wire the button up correctly will look into that.

Just went into it there and found nothing that would affect it, unless I'm blind,  I did find that my gaming hard drive would switch off after 5 minutes of inactivity so changed that

In the advanced power settings you can find advanced power buttons and lid, and then power button action. Might be set to sleep instead of shut down.

I use my power button to turn my PC off too but I just tap it and it triggers the proper OS shutdown procedure.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

7 minutes ago, userzero said:

Yup was set to sleep, don't ask me why but it was