Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gazebo

On the fence about the Dell Gaming S2417DG

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have been reading a lot and watching a lot about the Dell Gaming S2417DG. I like the monitor and has a nice look but with multiple reports of banding very noticeable in movies and tv shows. This is some what worrying because I watch tons of content on my PC. Pretty much what I am saying is I have been weighing the pros and cons of the monitor and I am unsure. 

The monitor will be used in my build which is almost done. I would be pairing it with a 1080.

 

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-0004-00551

Link to post
Share on other sites

Frankly, I wouldn't get a 24" 1440p monitor. Of course,compared to a 27" 1440p monitor, a smaller screen with the same resolution will look sharper, but for me it's the bigger screen size all the way. 27" inch 1440p 144hz is personally the sweet spot atm, the extra size creates way better immersion. So if you can afford it or find something on sale in that category, I'd definitely get that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, historicalpoultry said:

Frankly, I wouldn't get a 24" 1440p monitor. Of course,compared to a 27" 1440p monitor, a smaller screen with the same resolution will look sharper, but for me it's the bigger screen size all the way. 27" inch 1440p 144hz is personally the sweet spot atm, the extra size creates way better immersion. So if you can afford it or find something on sale in that category, I'd definitely get that.

My other option is this one https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009769&ignorebbr=1 and I just dont use the free sync.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gazebo said:

My other option is this one https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009769&ignorebbr=1 and I just dont use the free sync.

Despite the color, I would buy that one. The only thing you're giving up is G-sync, however, at least from my experience, that shouldn't hurt much, if at all. I use an Asus Pg278q with a 1080ti (previously a 980ti) and I've always had G-sync off for everything, with both cards, since I had done some testing. I mainly play pubg and Rocket league now, Overwatch before that and with G-sync enabled, all of those games just feel slow. With any other games I haven't noticed big enough improvements with G-sync that I would ever bother to enable it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

if people reported tearing and banding don't go for it. I know usually people report all what can exist everywhere and reviews are not relevant at all. i don't own this monitor but what i know is that dell is not known to make the best out of TN panels. personally in this range i would go for asus one or acer, but in truth i don't really know which one would perform the better.

 

 

i just know some monitor have crappy problems and this one is maybe one of them so..

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, irrelevancyhack said:

if people reported tearing and banding don't go for it. I know usually people report all what can exist everywhere and reviews are not relevant at all. i don't own this monitor but what i know is that dell is not known to make the best out of TN panels. personally in this range i would go for asus one or acer, but in truth i don't really know which one would perform the better.

 

 

i just know some monitor have crappy problems and this one is maybe one of them so..

I was trying to find an IPS and there is just nothing I can afford. There was this one https://www.amazon.ca/Asus-FreeSync-MG279Q-Response-DisplayPort/dp/B00ZOO348C but spending as much as I would a graphics card. TN panels are really all I can afford. There was this other one https://www.amazon.ca/Pixio-Display-Professional-Adaptive-Monitor/dp/B0761P6MC7 but I am not going to pay $130 for shipping.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Save more money and go for IPS.

 

Don't get any TN panel, it not worth the money. TN is means to be bad and it still very bad even on the highest end expensive TN panel.

 

I would only buy IPS panel or VA if budget constraint. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×