Is the Pentium G4560 still good in gaming?

I'm going to help my friend to build his first PC soon and he has a tight budget (around $550). I decided to choose the new i3 8100 as the CPU, however since budget mobos like H310 probably will not come out this year and considering that there's pretty much no point to pair a Z370 mobo with a locked CPU (he needs a PC now, can't wait longer), I decided to choose either R3 1200 or G4560. FYI, the price of G4560 hasn't change much here but the price of G4600 has dropped so it can be an appealing choice too.

If I decide to go for Ryzen 3, the CPU can be upgraded to Ryzen 5/7 in future, however there's only budget left for only a GTX 1050. If I go for G4560, getting a 1050TI is possible. However, I'm quite concern that the 2c4t CPU will bottleneck in games and will be outdated very fast.

My question is, is the G4560 still capable in gaming?

BTW the games he played are mainly DOTA 2 and some CSGO.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

9 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

I'm going to help my friend to build his first PC soon and he has a tight budget (around $550). I decided to choose the new i3 8100 as the CPU, however since budget mobos like H310 probably will not come out this year and considering that there's pretty much no point to pair a Z370 mobo with a locked CPU (he needs a PC now, can't wait longer), I decided to choose either R3 1200 or G4560. FYI, the price of G4560 hasn't change much here but the price of G4600 has dropped so it can be an appealing choice too.

If I decide to go for Ryzen 3, the CPU can be upgraded to Ryzen 5/7 in future, however there's only budget left for only a GTX 1050. If I go for G4560, getting a 1050TI is possible. However, I'm quite concern that the 2c4t CPU will bottleneck in games and will be outdated very fast.

BTW the games he played are mainly DOTA 2 and some CSGO.

2core is pretty bottleneck in aaa games. Get the ryzen, maybe you can find good price for used 1050ti or 980.

you can always buy the g4560 with a cheap motherboard and then upgrade buying an used 6th or 7th generation down the line.

Cheap 8th generation with z370 mobo makes little sense.

The ryzen looks more appealing, even because AMD does not force you to buy a new mobo every time a new cpu comes out.

The g4560 is still capable of budget gaming on any game, obviously with lower settings on 1080p. When i bought mine it was dirt cheap and there were no ryzen, now i would go ryzen.

13 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

2core is pretty bottleneck in aaa games. Get the ryzen, maybe you can find good price for used 1050ti or 980.

really not true

3 minutes ago, asus killer said:

really not true

The 2 core pentium may have higher average, but it has more stutters. The r3 is a better experience. Watching a video on youtube is not the same as owning both cpus and doing a test yourself. Also in the video you can see stuttering on intel side.

you can look up the games that you play, and look at the minimum requirements. if you are above those, you can play the game.

the g4560 is as good or better than a r3 1200, as seen here: (watch the whole video)

She/Her

19 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

The 2 core pentium may have higher average, but it has more stutters. The r3 is a better experience. Watching a video on youtube is not the same as owning both cpus and doing a test yourself. Also in the video you can see stuttering on intel side.

what you said was that it was bottlenecked because of the 2 cores. Again not true. Regarding stutters i have a g4560 and is a capable cpu at 1080p, don't see no stutter issues on any game.

But i agreed ryzen is a best buy than the g4560, let's just not use false arguments.

Just now, asus killer said:

what you said was that it was bottlenecked. Again not true. Regarding stutters i have a g4560 and is a capable cpu at 1080p, don't see no stutter issues on any game.

But i agreed ryzen is a best buy than the g4560, let's just not use false

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

you can look up the games that you play, and look at the minimum requirements. if you are above those, you can play the game.

the g4560 is as good or better than a r3 1200, as seen here: (watch the whole video)

If you oc 1200 to 4ghz it beats the pentium by a mile. And you can get a decent oc with stock cooler.

2 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

not everybody likes overclocking.

it's not something everybody understands, and since the OP is uilding a pc for someone, the person who will be owning it most likely doesn't even understand what overclocking is.

and it will make a system potentially unstable, which you don't want when you build a system for someone who is not tech-savy.

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

not everybody likes overclocking.

it's not something everybody understands, and since the OP is uilding a pc for someone, the person who will be owning it most likely doesn't even understand what overclocking is.

and it will make a system potentially unstable, which you don't want when you build a system for someone who is not tech-savy.

Yeah, you are right. But you can put a small oc on it 3.5ghz and it doesnt affect stability a bit.

47 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

snip

46 minutes ago, asus killer said:

snip

Do you think that the G4560 is better than R3 1200 in DOTA 2 and CSGO? BTW he wants a new PC and he doesn't like used parts.

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

not everybody likes overclocking

I can OC for him so no worries

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

Does your friend solely game or does he skype/ discord, listen to musics etc. while gaming?

Take note that most of the benchmarks you see were tested with nothing running in the background.

CPU/ CPU Cooler: i7-6700K - 4.5GHz with Noctua DH-15S | Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 Amp! Edition | Case: Corsair 400C | PSU: FSP Aurum S 650W | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM FHD | Speakers: JBL Pebbles | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

5 minutes ago, davyre89 said:

Does your friend solely game or does he skype/ discord, listen to musics etc. when gaming?

He used to play music at the background even with his current old, dual core Pentium rig

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, davyre89 said:

Take note that most of the benchmarks you see were tested with nothing running in the background.

well, if you have spotify open that uses 2% on my laptop..

in fact right now, with spotify open, word an a few browsertabs i have 11% usage with the cpu clocking down to 1.7ghz.. 

while i will agree that background tasks on a dual core cpu are bad for gaming, listening to music won't do a lot of damage.

She/Her

23 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Do you think that the G4560 is better than R3 1200 in DOTA 2 and CSGO? BTW he wants a new PC and he doesn't like used parts.

I can OC for him so no worries

to overclock you have to get a more expensive board like B350. In the G4560 there is no OC so a cheaper board like H110 is an option. Not defending either, just stating the differences on a budget build

Get him ryzen 3, because of he has anything else open, for example chrome spotify etc, it is better. Also if he plays anything more cpu intensive( city skylines), r3 will be better.

24 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

Get him ryzen 3, because of he has anything else open, for example chrome spotify etc, it is better. Also if he plays anything more cpu intensive( city skylines), r3 will be better.

He mainly plays DOTA 2. I heard that the game is CPU intensive and higher IPC will benefit in the game. That's why I'm struggling to choose whether the G4560 with a higher IPC or R3 1200 (OCed) with 2 more cores

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

I'd go with the Ryzen 3 1200 on a solid b350 board for better upgrade path since Kaby Lake will remain dead with the i7 7700 being the best chip to go to while you might manage to upgrade on Ryzen+ to like r7 2700 or something.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Getting Ryzen is a better investment in the long run. The AM4 platform will be supported until at least 2020, so it'll see Ryzen, Ryzen+ and Zen2 at the very least. Kaby Lake is a dead end. Don't go that route.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Everyone keeps mentioning upgrade path but they don't realise that r3 alone costs as much as Pentium+ motherboard.In the long run, it would cost the same with the exception that he wouldn't be locked on am4 with Pentium.

1 hour ago, MyName13 said:

Everyone keeps mentioning upgrade path but they don't realise that r3 alone costs as much as Pentium+ motherboard.In the long run, it would cost the same with the exception that he wouldn't be locked on am4 with Pentium.

In the long run it would be better to upgrade to a higher core count cpu. Upgrading to a kaby lake i7 (or even worse an i5) is not a good upgrade now and is going to be an even worse upgrade in the future.

49 minutes ago, PhaseShift said:

In the long run it would be better to upgrade to a higher core count cpu. Upgrading to a kaby lake i7 (or even worse an i5) is not a good upgrade now and is going to be an even worse upgrade in the future.

You can upgrade with the Pentium too, you'd just need a new motherboard.pentium+h110+future Intel CPU and Mobo would cost the same as ryzen+some more expensive b350+ future ryzen with the exception that AM4 upgrade path is uncertain.

I get ryzen due to is being supported longer then that Pentium( already no new gen ) and you can always get a new gpu.   

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

5 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

ryzen+some more expensive b350+

B350 isn't to expensive 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

2 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

B350 isn't to expensive 

Even the cheapest one is more expensive than h110m, not to mention that a good b350, that will be able to support future 8+core ryzen, is far more expensive.