Should i wait for my OS before building my pc?

TheShellFace
Go to solution Solved by JeJaRaLa,
5 minutes ago, TheShellFace said:

guess i should have mentioned this initially, but i don't have a flash drive big enough for the windows installer (never have needed them before) and the copy i'm waiting for is actually from a friend, they're just being slow :P

that said, there aren't any problems with building the system before having an OS?

you can turn on and see if post ,arrange the cables , see the bios. test ram  . you dont need to wait for the copy of windows 10,

so this is a really dumb question :P

i have all my hardware and am currently waiting for a copy of windows 10 to get here, and i was thinking in the meantime i might as well put together the rig so it's ready to go when windows arrives. however, before i do that i want to check if there are any problems that could arise if you build the system before the OS is ready.

(sorry if this is the wrong category to be posting this in as well)

You can install windows without activating it for free.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

10 minutes ago, TheShellFace said:

i have all my hardware and am currently waiting for a copy of windows 10 to get here, and i was thinking in the meantime i might as well put together the rig so it's ready to go when windows arrives. however, before i do that i want to check if there are any problems that could arise if you build the system before the OS is ready.

you can create windows 10 installer  from  microsoft page  you download the   tool to create the bootable usb  of your the  version of windows 10 that you buy , when it arrive  you just put the serial. that is 100% legal 

Install Linux or run an install of the version of Win10 unactivated in the mean time.  Verify everything works and both options are completely free.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

should of bought the code online (not a physical copy) or in store, but you can use windows untill you get the key, it just wont be actived and that just means you cant use a few feature like you wont be able to have a background untill you put your key in. 

1 minute ago, MetallicArcherfish said:

should of bought the code online (not a physical copy) or in store, but you can use windows untill you get the key, it just wont be actived and that just means you cant use a few feature like you wont be able to have a background untill you put your key in. 

you can change  the background  just right click the image you want and select  to background

1 hour ago, JeJaRaLa said:

you can change  the background  just right click the image you want and select  to background

re read my post.

when you use windows that is NOT ACTIVATED you cant change the background 

14 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You can install windows without activating it for free.

6 minutes ago, JeJaRaLa said:

create the bootable usb

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

run an install of the version of Win10 unactivated in the mean time

you can use windows untill you get the key

guess i should have mentioned this initially, but i don't have a flash drive big enough for the windows installer (never have needed them before) and the copy i'm waiting for is actually from a friend, they're just being slow :P

that said, there aren't any problems with building the system before having an OS?

5 minutes ago, TheShellFace said:

you can turn on and see if post ,arrange the cables , see the bios. test ram  . you dont need to wait for the copy of windows 10,

1 hour ago, TheShellFace said:

you dont have a 4gb flashdrive? lol

and no there is no issues to build without an OS, you have to build and start it up before you can even install the OS, you just wont be able to do anything except look at your BIOS

You can use a rooted android phone to install windows 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

thanks for the answer guys :)

lol, nope, like i said, i never had a use for the stupid things before... guess i could just pop over to a store and get one though

7 minutes ago, TheShellFace said:

Damn Small Linux and Puppy Linux both fit on 1GB flash drives. I believe Ubuntu, Debian, and the major derivatives fit on 4GB flash drives, images from 2012 or so definitely do, and updating to supported versions is fairly easy.

Drives that small are pretty inexpensive in most places. Should be the same in Canada, given the state of the Canadian Peso being worth just less than that of Monopoly money to tech companies.

3 minutes ago, MetallicArcherfish said:

You need an 8GB drive, the bootable USB takes up ~4.3GiB of space for everything up to the Creator's Update, not sure if that is the same for Fall Creator Update

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, TheShellFace said:

thanks for the answer guys :)

lol, nope, like i said, i never had a use for the stupid things before... guess i could just pop over to a store and get one though

you must be older then. i know when I was in highschool we pretty much needed one, even tho that was one 2 years ago since i graduated 

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Damn Small Linux and Puppy Linux both fit on 1GB flash drives. I believe Ubuntu, Debian, and the major derivatives fit on 4GB flash drives, images from 2012 or so definitely do, and updating to supported versions is fairly easy.

Drives that small are pretty inexpensive in most places. Should be the same in Canada, given the state of the Canadian Peso being worth just less than that of Monopoly money to tech companies.

You need an 8GB drive, the bootable USB takes up ~4.3GiB of space for everything up to the Creator's Update, not sure if that is the same for Fall Creator Update

really? i have a 4gb and installed windows with it lol, but this was also like 2 years ago 

Just now, MetallicArcherfish said:

really? i have a 4gb and installed windows with it lol, but this was also like 2 years ago 

Really. I keep a backup Win 10 installer, and update it when I know the update is stable on my system.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Really. I keep a backup Win 10 installer, and update it when I know the update is stable on my system.

i still have the usb drive and it has all the stuff still on it

if you have micro sd with some adapter to usb  laying around that could work. you dont need to buy usb

6 hours ago, MetallicArcherfish said:

re read my post.

when you use windows that is NOT ACTIVATED you cant change the background 

There's still 30 days trial period before it goes to unactivated state. Plus, you actually really can go around background changing thing. On any image, select "Set as desktop background" works. There will still be popup and watermark.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

There's still 30 days trial period before it goes to unactivated state. Plus, you actually really can go around background changing thing. On any image, select "Set as desktop background" works. There will still be popup and watermark.

id think microsoft would be smarter about it. but I guess it is microsoft 

On 16/11/2017 at 4:36 AM, TheShellFace said:

You can install Windows without a license key. There is a very small button which allows you to skip entering a key when in the initial Windows configuration.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II