Why do (gaming) headset microphones suck?

Mortis Angelus
Just curious if anyone have any theories about this; why do microphones used on headsets sound so bad, even from reputable brands like Sennheiser? While the mic on the Gaming One sounds better than most other gaming headsets, the mic still pales compared to business oriented headsets, and lavallier mics from the likes like Sennheiser.

There are lavallier/button/knob microphones out there that have far smaller form factor but sound amazing. Headsets cost quite a lot considering their audio quality, so why can't they make better microphones for them?
Spoiler

Mobo: Asus Z370-A Prime

CPU: Intel i7 8700K

RAM: Kingston Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Beast

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB

Case: Fractal Define R6 Tempered Glass, Black

SSD 1: Crucial P3 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen 3 NVMe SSD

SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

SSD 3: Crucial MX500 500 GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM005 64MB 4TB 7200 rpm

PSU: Corsair RM750X v2

Display 1: AOC Agon AG271QG

Display 2: Dell U2711

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M AIO

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger Z w/ Cherry MX Brown

Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II

Soundcard: Creative AE-5 Soundblaster

Headphones: Sennheiser RS 165 Wireless

Microphone 1: Audio Technica AT2020+ USB

Microphone 2: Antlion Audiio ModMic Wireless

The 12 year old kids who buy them probably don't really care about the audio quality of their mic when they are screaming at people through them, if anything it's an advantage.

It's probably because the consumer wont really notice.

You hear the sound from the headphones, the unfortunate souls on the other end of the game hear you're gamer rage through the mic. So unless you do recordings with it, the only thing you will hear from the mic quality is the other people saying your mic sucks.. But they either expect that from gaming headset mics, or your <willingness to defend a sub par product, because you bought it.. (there is a word for it, can't remember what it was)> will cloud your judgement.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

mine have no issues

i haven't had a single audio complaint about my mic and i use teamspeak regularly

i don't really have space on my desk for a table mic so on headset mic works great; i have the cloud 2 btw, i really like it for what its worth, very comfortable and everything is of high quality for what i do

I guess they all cut corners on the sensors. The ones they use must cost next to nothing. I compared the hyperx cloud mic to my phone's (GS6), which has to be even smaller, and now I use my phone whenever I need to record anything. It's ridiculously superior.

The VOID Pro's mic isn't so bad. It's pretty crisp. Now, it doesn't hold a candle to the Snowball USB mic, but it's still not bad.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

5 hours ago, Minibois said:

(there is a word for it, can't remember what it was)

Choice supportive bias?

3 hours ago, lilbman said:

Choice supportive bias?

That might be it.. Kind of like confirmation bias, but for a product.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, L.Lawliet said:

Because its suppose to be all in one solution.

On top of that what u need is your teammate to hear your voice loud and clear and its enough.

it doesnt have to be crystal clear like a mic for studios, it will help them reduce the manufacturing cost and make em happy.

What u said is true u can buy a decnet lav mic from any decent brands and it will sounded much better.

The mic on the ONE is OKAY not considered to be Good imo but if u compare to any other headset then yes although G933 artemis is an exception imo its the best sounding mic on a gaming headset.

So basically you mean, they could if they wanted to do it? Makes sense I guess.

But I personally think that one of the main issues and why I get annoyed by random ppl in the voice chat (apart from all the shouting) is that you barely can hear what the hell they are saying. Headset mics suffer from way too strong noise cancelling that filters out many important frequencies, and they usually have pretty low gain = low audio signal. And sure, already "decent" audio quality would suffice, but just looking at e.g. Dimitri's latest video on the steelseries headset, only the Sennheiser sound decent. The rest sound like screeching crap.

Spoiler

some headsets do have exceptional mics like certain models from asus/razer or anything post 2015 by sennheiser

15 hours ago, Scitesh said:

some headsets do have exceptional mics like certain models from asus/razer or anything post 2015 by sennheiser

They are exceptional compared to the usual gaming headsets. They suck* compared to business headset mics, and are not even in the same league as a proper desktop mic or even a budget lavallier mic like the Rode SmartLav+.

The worst thing is the lack of bass in the voice, making everyone sound like squeeky squirrels, and combined with noise cancellation, it results in some really narrow frequency sound.

*Game ONE does not suck. It is good, but still not as good as the business mics.

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Mortis Angelus said:

They are exceptional compared to the usual gaming headsets. They suck* compared to business headset mics, and are not even in the same league as a proper desktop mic or even a budget lavallier mic like the Rode SmartLav+.

The worst thing is the lack of bass in the voice, making everyone sound like squeeky squirrels, and combined with noise cancellation, it results in some really narrow frequency sound.

*Game ONE does not suck. It is good, but still not as good as the business mics.

W8 something like portronics or like sennheiser pc series? 

17 minutes ago, Scitesh said:

W8 something like portronics or like sennheiser pc series? 

Plantronics have great mic quality, because that is their forte, with a pedigree in Aviation and space program. Mic quality is important there. But they didnt have the best audio quality, if I remember correctly. Sennheiser PC-series? What are those?

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, Mortis Angelus said:

Plantronics have great mic quality, because that is their forte, with a pedigree in Aviation and space program. Mic quality is important there. But they didnt have the best audio quality, if I remember correctly. Sennheiser PC-series? What are those?

I guess they used pc moniker for Headsets to be used in call centers or pa systems

Here is one I found : 

https://www.headphonezone.in/products/sennheiser-pc-3-chat?variant=977059917&gclid=CjwKCAiArrrQBRBbEiwAH_6sNKp1NvEZf4-CqVfT7J0Yg4gGGYqw615yJneNzbGf37PFVXu2o_u2MRoC9eIQAvD_BwE

On 11/15/2017 at 10:16 PM, Mortis Angelus said:
Just curious if anyone have any theories about this; why do microphones used on headsets sound so bad, even from reputable brands like Sennheiser? While the mic on the Gaming One sounds better than most other gaming headsets, the mic still pales compared to business oriented headsets, and lavallier mics from the likes like Sennheiser.

There are lavallier/button/knob microphones out there that have far smaller form factor but sound amazing. Headsets cost quite a lot considering their audio quality, so why can't they make better microphones for them?

Compromises for convenience. You can buy a half decent chinese condenser mics for around £30, it's not gonna make you sound silky smooth but it's better than the generally crappy mics on headsets

The targeted demographic for gaming headsets really don't care how the mic sounds, so long as the headphones themselves sound relatively decent and their voice is at least somewhat intelligible on the other end. 

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

I personally use my Blue Snowball as my mic, and AKG 7XX headphones for basically everything on my PC.

I just don't think gaming headsets are even worth the money when you can literally have a far better experience for similar $$.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

With anything "gamer" focused your paying for an aesthetic/specific feature set. For a lot of us (outside of the business world) something like the ModMic on a pair of cans would give us the best of both worlds. 

Lets be honest RGB on a headset is not a feature set, its a waste of money and resources.