How to be different on YouTube?

laushik

So I have a YouTube gaming channel and I try to play different games to be different but it’s not really working. If you want to see my channel is YoNeilGaming.

System

• CPU
    I7 6700K Overclocked to 4.6 GHz at 1.33v
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
    GSKILL RIPJAWS V DDR4 16GB 3000MHZ
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G overclocked to 2063 MHZ and 8900 MHZ memory clock
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
    WD 1TB BLUE AND SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
    LG 25UM58-P ULTRAWIDE and LG 29UM58-P 29 ULTRAWIDE
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
    LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS SPECTRUM
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

See, if anyone of us knew that we would probably do it and be successful on YouTube.

Although, the truth is that being unique is not enough, especially if you do gaming.

The gaming side of YouTube is pretty much saturated beyond belief and becoming just mildly successful doing it requires a lot of luck.

There is something to be said about being able to play the algorithm, but that will only take you that far.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Unless you really want to be different, like doing a Dark Souls run using bananas (ATwerkingYoshi), then you most likely have to be either very good, very funny, very knowledgeable or a girl showing a lot of cleavage to get a significant amount of views. Everyday there are new young Youtubers looking to stake their claim on the gaming scene and frankly it's a bit too late. Almost every niche is already filled, from guides to speed runs to funny commentary montages.

But that's just my observation of the content. You on the other hand, should have the drive to keep going if you really want this to grow. Look at other Youtubers, look for what they lack, and build on it. 

A lot of the time, it's not just the games you play to be different, it's overall content. Practically everything about your channel would have to be different.

So don't do giveaways on every single freaking video you upload to get subscribers, so many people do that and it just gets annoying if I'm trying to just watch a video. If I wanted to start a channel I'd look at where my inspiration is coming from, and find some way to mix them all together into one channel.

I agree with @Dissitesuxba11s's post, it's pretty hard for people to start a gaming channel, chances are they'll just get lost in the mix of all the other channels like it unless you're really really determined to do this.

Also please avoid clickbaiting, that ticks a lot of people off.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, JayKay3000 said:

Lot of big youtubers have taken a lot of time to build an audience so you've got to really be doing it for fun and not caring about the money. The money may arrive or it may never. It's not really the point.

Please Please....follow this guys advice.  Just do it for the fun of it and go in no expectations.  Think of it this way.  Do you think AVGN thought he would be huge by just filming himself ranting on Castlevania 2?  No. He just did it for shits and giggles it was genuine, simple, and most importantly fun.

3 minutes ago, JayKay3000 said:

Lets not forget the reason people watch is because of you. Who can really tell what people like. You don't have to be the smartest, best dressed, fit or well spoken to be a hit on youtube. You just have to have that certain 'something' and if we all knew that we'd be doing it.

Follow this advice, there's even a chance you'll become a meme and go viral which will get a LOT of attention for your channel

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

5 minutes ago, JayKay3000 said:

Lot of big youtubers have taken a lot of time to build an audience so you've got to really be doing it for fun and not caring about the money. The money may arrive or it may never. It's not really the point. Although I guess a lot of young people might think it is.

Just to add on to this OP, don't make money the reason you play games. With that mindset you will lose track of what you love and lose the enjoyment of playing.

1 hour ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Just to add on to this OP, don't make money the reason you play games. With that mindset you will lose track of what you love and lose the enjoyment of playing.

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Follow this advice, there's even a chance you'll become a meme and go viral which will get a LOT of attention for your channel

1 hour ago, LordTaco42 said:

Please Please....follow this guys advice.  Just do it for the fun of it and go in no expectations.  Think of it this way.  Do you think AVGN thought he would be huge by just filming himself ranting on Castlevania 2?  No. He just did it for shits and giggles it was genuine, simple, and most importantly fun.

2 hours ago, JayKay3000 said:

Find another platform that isn't so saturated. When I worked in a school every so often I'd hear kids saying they were going to be the next big thing.

Lot of big youtubers have taken a lot of time to build an audience so you've got to really be doing it for fun and not caring about the money. The money may arrive or it may never. It's not really the point. Although I guess a lot of young people might think it is.

Lets not forget the reason people watch is because of you. Who can really tell what people like. You don't have to be the smartest, best dressed, fit or well spoken to be a hit on youtube. You just have to have that certain 'something' and if we all knew that we'd be doing it.

2 hours ago, Volbet said:

See, if anyone of us knew that we would probably do it and be successful on YouTube.

Although, the truth is that being unique is not enough, especially if you do gaming.

The gaming side of YouTube is pretty much saturated beyond belief and becoming just mildly successful doing it requires a lot of luck.

There is something to be said about being able to play the algorithm, but that will only take you that far.

Thank you all so much for the feedback!!

System

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

Gaming is overwhelmingly saturated there's no chance beyond dumb luck at this point.

It's why many former gamers eventually switched their content to (mostly right wing leaning) politics as the new gold rush seems to be there but even that now rapidly gets clamped down so you're at least 9 months too late on that front too.

So you'd need to 1) Look outside of videogames completely 2) Do something that's very niche.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Gaming is overwhelmingly saturated there's no chance beyond dumb luck at this point.

It's why many former gamers eventually switched their content to (mostly right wing leaning) politics as the new gold rush seems to be there but even that now rapidly gets clamped down so you're at least 9 months too late on that front too.

So you'd need to 1) Look outside of videogames completely 2) Do something that's very niche.

What do you mean “very niche”?

System

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

Just now, laushik said:

What do you mean “very niche”?

Something very specific that very few people are doing since there's more chances of standing out i.e. Videos about collecting stamps, Ancient Sumerian history, tractor repairs, etc.

Things that are just not as popular to gather thousands of other people also trying to make videos on it and make it big, which is the problem with any kind of gaming videos right now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I already told you in your previous thread that you should make videos because you think it's fun, not because you think your channel will grow.

If you are not satisfied with the views you are already gotten then I recommend you stop, because chances are you won't get any more no matter what type of gaming videos you try.

You might as well be asking how to win the lottery.

1 hour ago, L.Lawliet said:

Still better than pewdiepie though..idk why he's so popular..i think he's just overrated cause i've watched his videos once and i cant stand it

I used to hate on PewDiePie too, then I started watching his videos after the whole Nazi incident and honestly, they are pretty entertaining.

• High amount of viewer interaction.
  • Fairly varied content. Might be gaming one day, video remixes another, and so on.
  • Doesn't give a damn about PC-culture.
  • Very genuine.
  • Raises a lot of rational and logical points regarding issues.

I think a lot of people hating on him base their views on his old format, which was cancer. Give him a shot and keep an open mind. In fact, he made a great video about becoming a youtuber not too long ago.

well as sad as it is think you dont want to be different. do what has been proven to work if its all about the clicks. die your hair purple. play whatever pewdipie played in his last video. be very emotional loud and squeaky. and dont forget to leave a like subscribe for more awesome gameplay like my insta and twitter and kiss my ass. 

you know...that type of stuff

being original will be tough in the beginning. its like these rich people always say the first million is always the hardest.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3