Can I use earphones as a mic on PC?

SurajBlue

Hi,

I am new to PC gaming and need a gaming headset so I thought of using an adapter so I can convert my single jack apple earphones (with mic) into a standalone microphone in a way that I can plug it into my ASUS Z170-DELUXE"s on-board mic in port. This way I can use my headphones (without mic) as headphones and use just the in line mic of the earphones as a mic for gaming.

Is this possible and if so what adapter or setting should I use?

Thanks, all help will be appreciated

Hello, I like computers

5 minutes ago, SurajBlue said:

Hi,

I am new to PC gaming and need a gaming headset so I thought of using an adapter so I can convert my single jack apple earphones (with mic) into a standalone microphone in a way that I can plug it into my ASUS Z170-DELUXE"s on-board mic in port. This way I can use my headphones (without mic) as headphones and use just the in line mic of the earphones as a mic for gaming.

if you just plug them in they will be detected as a mic and as headphones as a 3,5 jack works is that there are o-rings working as an insulator if your headphones have 3 insulator rings they work just fine (which they have otherwise even a phone won't detect them)

ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

1 minute ago, ricksteendam1 said:

if you just plug them in they will be detected as a mic and as headphones 

I tried that it didn't work, I have a PC with dedicated connectors for headphones and mics

Hello, I like computers

6 minutes ago, SurajBlue said:

Hi,

im quite sure its not got a 3 pole port on the mobo so this aint gonna work

Intel Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4Ghz  Sapphire R9 290 Vapor X 4GB  |  Vengeance® K70 & M65  W10 Pro

Just now, MrMarriarty said:

im quite sure its not got a 3 pole port on the mobo so this aint gonna work

Do u know of any adapter that might make it work

Hello, I like computers

1 minute ago, SurajBlue said:

you'll need something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-splitter-4-pole-headset-3-pole/dp/B00AVYMGJ8

BUT IN REVERSE

Intel Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4Ghz  Sapphire R9 290 Vapor X 4GB  |  Vengeance® K70 & M65  W10 Pro

4 minutes ago, SurajBlue said:

this but i only know a dutch site that sells them

3 minutes ago, SurajBlue said:

Ok

and this are the ones on amazon

honestly the cheapness of a head set just buy one, the mic quality will be $H!T from those kinda phone headsets

Just now, MrMarriarty said:

honestly the cheapness of a head set just buy one, the mic quality will be $H!T from those kinda phone headsets

Ok,

Do you know of any good cheap good headsets

Hello, I like computers

Just now, SurajBlue said:

Ok,

Do you know of any good cheap good headsets

black friday my friend black friday!

cyber monday if all else fails lol just over a week away :)

• 1 year later...
On 11/15/2017 at 11:17 PM, SurajBlue said:

Hi,

Yea this is a little too late for me to answer and you probably have bought a new headset by now but I will give a solution for someone else coming here, be sure to upvote this please.If you dont want to buy an adapter shown in above replies, then give this a shot:

First, this solution DOESN'T require a earphone WITH MIC. You can just plug your earphones in the red 3.5mm jack and configure it as mic, right click the speaker icon>Sound>Recording>Click Microphone>Properties>Listen>Check Listen to this device>Apply.

Then go back on Recording>Configure>Set up microphone and follow instructions.(Don't know if this is really needed but I did do it so.)

Now you can just speak into one of your earbuds and they will act as mics(Even Stereo if you use both in position!)

The only backside here is you have to take the earbud very close to your mouth, so it is a little annoying...

18 hours ago, Psynapse_231 said:

Yea this is a little too late for me to answer and you probably have bought a new headset by now but I will give a solution for someone else coming here, be sure to upvote this please.If you dont want to buy an adapter shown in above replies, then give this a shot:

First, this solution DOESN'T require a earphone WITH MIC. You can just plug your earphones in the red 3.5mm jack and configure it as mic, right click the speaker icon>Sound>Recording>Click Microphone>Properties>Listen>Check Listen to this device>Apply.

Then go back on Recording>Configure>Set up microphone and follow instructions.(Don't know if this is really needed but I did do it so.)

Now you can just speak into one of your earbuds and they will act as mics(Even Stereo if you use both in position!)

The only backside here is you have to take the earbud very close to your mouth, so it is a little annoying...

Please don't revive 4 month old posts.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

12 hours ago, food158 said:

Please don't revive 4 month old posts.

You might want to check the dates again :D

:)