Highest TDP cooler

Hey Im trying to go back to air because of it's single point of failure but I don't want to lose performance and my overclocks because the air coolers can't keep up with water. Right now the highest TDW air cooler I can find is the be quite dark rock pro 3 at 250w and the deep cool Lucifer at 300w. My current liquid loop has a TDP of 350w more towards 400w. My CPU a r7 1700x at 3.9ghtz with 1.45 volts gets up to 87°c with a liquid temp of 40°c. If any air cooler can meet or beat that I'd pick it so fast but weeks of searching online has found nothing. 

The NH-D15 should cool significantly better than both of those. Noctua doesn't state their TDPs

:)

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The NH-D15 should cool significantly better than both of those. Noctua doesn't state their TDPs

I I noticed they don't and it's stupid. I really wish someone (gamers Nexus) would do so tests and find the top of them. If you had to guess where would u rank the d15 in terms of tdp watts

Just now, Turretgaming said:

I I noticed they don't and it's stupid. I really wish someone (gamers Nexus) would do so tests and find the top of them. If you had to guess where would u rank the d15 in terms of tdp watts

Afaik, the TDP will depend on how high the manufacturer allows the temperatures to get, and how cool the ambient air is. So TDP is sort of useless across manufacturers. 

OC3D has this thing

Spoiler

21121623152l.7

:)

The R1 Ultimate is nice, if you have low profile memory. They're reasonably priced as well (at least they are here).

They're also customizable with color kits.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Noctua kind of states their TDPs here, but they're gross underestimates - hence the Overclock*** etc.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

1 minute ago, Imbellis said:

Noctua kind of states their TDPs here, but they're gross underestimates - hence the Overclock*** etc.

That's wat I was talking about. U can't get a straight answer from them even if u email them

9 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

That's wat I was talking about. U can't get a straight answer from them even if u email them

True - I've emailed 'em several times.

I'd estimate that the NH-D15 is ~10% better; for it has 20% more fins (which isn't 20% better because of extra distance) compared to the other two.

Overall, you could just grab one of 'em, strap a high-power fan like an A15 IPPC-3000, and you'd be set to overclock.

Edited by Imbellis
Corrected fan's link.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

13 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

I'd estimate that the NH-D15 is ~10% better; for it has 20% more fins (which isn't 20% better because of extra distance) compared to the other two.

Overall, you could just grab one of 'em, strap a high-power fan like an A15 IPPC-3000, and you'd be set to overclock.

Ya I'll try it. 

37 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

How loud is that fan. It's idle speed is high. And 3000rpm seems like it's going to be very loud

10 hours ago, Turretgaming said:

Imo it's stupid to use manufacturer rated TDP as base of comparison. CPUs and cooler manufacturers calculate it differently. You can get better comparison by testing two coolers on same setup.

9 hours ago, Turretgaming said:

How loud is that fan. It's idle speed is high. And 3000rpm seems like it's going to be very loud

Loud. They aren't meant for consumer use. They are made for industrial use where people wear earplugs anyway.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Imo it's stupid to use manufacturer rated TDP as base of comparison. CPUs and cooler manufacturers calculate it differently. You can get better comparison by testing two coolers on same setup.

Loud. They aren't meant for consumer use. They are made for industrial use where people wear earplugs anyway.

My PC now is used for mining on my gpus when I'm not rendering or gaming so those fans get stupid loud. Also they have a model that idles at 500rpm instead of 800rpm and a Max of 2000rpm instead of 3000rpm. Or should I stick with the stock fans on the d15 that idle at 300rpm and Max at 1500rpm. Right now my PC is loud enough to hear 15 feet away down a hall. So that's 15feet with a 90° turn and it's still loud enough to be heard while reading a book in a quiet room. I think my current liquid cooling is just a shitty radiator or a bad block because a 1700x shouldn't get that hot with those clocks under load. My thought process for going to air is it's a tried and true way to cool it and maybe could offer better performance. I'd even be willing to spend over 300$ on any cooler that can beat a custom open loop. I've even considered bong cooling.

On 11/15/2017 at 5:39 AM, Turretgaming said:

My PC now is used for mining on my gpus when I'm not rendering or gaming so those fans get stupid loud. Also they have a model that idles at 500rpm instead of 800rpm and a Max of 2000rpm instead of 3000rpm. Or should I stick with the stock fans on the d15 that idle at 300rpm and Max at 1500rpm. Right now my PC is loud enough to hear 15 feet away down a hall. So that's 15feet with a 90° turn and it's still loud enough to be heard while reading a book in a quiet room. I think my current liquid cooling is just a shitty radiator or a bad block because a 1700x shouldn't get that hot with those clocks under load. My thought process for going to air is it's a tried and true way to cool it and maybe could offer better performance. I'd even be willing to spend over 300$ on any cooler that can beat a custom open loop. I've even considered bong cooling.

What are your specs and how is your airflow laid out? If you're mining, the high temps could be due to lack of case airflow. 

The stock NF-A15's are already excellent. There's little reason to replace them. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What are your specs and how is your airflow laid out? If you're mining, the high temps could be due to lack of case airflow. 

The stock NF-A15's are already excellent. There's little reason to replace them. 

Dual 140mm in the front and top for intake 2 of them are noctua and the other 2 nzxt and the exhaust is a single 120mm ml white Corsair fan

2 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

Dual 140mm in the front and top for intake 2 of them are noctua and the other 2 nzxt and the exhaust is a single 120mm ml white Corsair fan

What graphics card and case are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Phanteks p400 and a 980ti with an Arctic accelero 4 on it(and custom vrm and memory heatsink as the 4 only has a backplate and gpu heatsink) and a 1060 ssc 6gig

10 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

Phanteks p400 and a 980ti with an Arctic accelero 4 on it(and custom vrm and memory heatsink as the 4 only has a backplate and gpu heatsink) and a 1060 ssc 6gig

Your temps probably have to do with the lack of exhaust. Try flipping your top fans to exhaust to see if that improves your temps. 

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to the. 

On 11/15/2017 at 11:42 AM, Turretgaming said:

On 11/15/2017 at 9:34 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Imo it's stupid to use manufacturer rated TDP as base of comparison.

That's because TDP is not well understood and has been bastardized as a marketing tool confusing even knowledgeable journalists in the tech industry.   The only time a TDP rating means anything is when it applies directly to the chip it is for when said chip is operating under exact conditions. That means no overclock, no over or under volt and no variance in workload. Hence why Cooler manufacturers aren't readily going to give you a straight answer.  It is disgraceful as far as I am concerned because tit is straight forward physics, they can easily test it and put a hard figure on the amount of heat their cooler can dissipate for a given surface area.

My advice is simply look at the reviews (comparing coolers in the same system, not comparing temperature readings across reviews) and choose the best one you can afford.  Plus give it room to operate, the more air it can move the better it will work.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

That's because TDP is not well understood and has been bastardized as a marketing tool confusing even knowledgeable journalists in the tech industry.   The only time a TDP rating means anything is when it applies directly to the chip it is for when said chip is operating under exact conditions. That means no overclock, no over or under volt and no variance in workload. Hence why Cooler manufacturers aren't readily going to give you a straight answer.  It is disgraceful as far as I am concerned because tit is straight forward physics, they can easily test it and put a hard figure on the amount of heat their cooler can dissipate for a given surface area.

My advice is simply look at the reviews (comparing coolers in the same system, not comparing temperature readings across reviews) and choose the best one you can afford.  Plus give it room to operate, the more air it can move the better it will work.

If all used noise normalized at 40dba and all used the same type of tim and used Delta t temps it would actually work really well but they don't. So please manufacturers standardize ur tests.

11 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Your temps probably have to do with the lack of exhaust. Try flipping your top fans to exhaust to see if that improves your temps. 

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to the. 

If I flip it I'll have negative air pressure only shitty nzxt 140 fans behind a radiator as intake so won't the temps be worse as fresh air can't enter. My ambient temperature is usually 62 to 66 degrees Fahrenheit I actually heat all of the upstairs with it and don't need to turn the heat on. But won't dust and low airflow make it worse

5 hours ago, Turretgaming said:

If all used noise normalized at 40dba and all used the same type of tim and used Delta t temps it would actually work really well but they don't. So please manufacturers standardize ur tests.

TIM wouldn't be so much an issue so long as the surface area of the cooler interface is accounted for. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

58 minutes ago, mr moose said:

TIM wouldn't be so much an issue so long as the surface area of the cooler interface is accounted for. 

So it is possible for them to all measure and rate the coolers the same but that manufacturers don't want to standardize is why it's so inconsistent

7 hours ago, Turretgaming said:

If I flip it I'll have negative air pressure only shitty nzxt 140 fans behind a radiator as intake so won't the temps be worse as fresh air can't enter. My ambient temperature is usually 62 to 66 degrees Fahrenheit I actually heat all of the upstairs with it and don't need to turn the heat on. But won't dust and low airflow make it worse

Maintaining positive airflow is just a matter of running your intakes at higher rpm than your exhausts. My guess is that your single 120mm exhaust isn't enough for the heat from all the components. Flipping the top fans should increase airflow and not make any difference in dust buildup. Plus, there's no harm in trying it and seeing if it helps your temps.

19 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Maintaining positive airflow is just a matter of running your intakes at higher rpm than your exhausts. My guess is that your single 120mm exhaust isn't enough for the heat from all the components. Flipping the top fans should increase airflow and not make any difference in dust buildup. Plus, there's no harm in trying it and seeing if it helps your temps.

True but I can't run the fans any higher there maxed out. Would using my PSU as an exhaust fan work too. So 4 in 2 out with the PSU flip.

Just now, Turretgaming said:

True but I can't run the fans any higher there maxed out. Would using my PSU as an exhaust fan work too. So 4 in 2 out with the PSU flip.

You should still try flipping the top to exhaust to see if that helps.