BunnyHunter67

I'm upgrading tomorrow. And I have a few questions.

Best way is probably to disconnect the HDD, install Windows on the SSD, then reconnect the HDD and format it while in Windows (running on the SSD).

Windows 10 will not defrag an SSD, it will run TRIM, which is kind of what defragging is for HDDs, but for SSDs. It won't cause unnecessary writes. 

EDIT: I believe MS also changed the wording in Windows from "defragment" to "optimise" or something similar to prevent people thinking it is actually trying to defrag the SSD. 

Posted · Original PosterOP

Tomorrow i'm adding an SSD to my system. Currently I just have a HDD. Basically what is the easiest way to have win 10 on the SSD and reformat the HDD (do I need to reformat the HDD before installing Win on the ssd, or can I do it there etc.). Also whats the deal with windows defraging SSDs? Ive heard it just causes unnecessary reads and writes to the drive and to disable it. Just a little confused on it all. Thanks for the help!

As long as the ssd is empty, you can install windows straight to it, but when you do, just disconnect the hdd to make the process easier.  Turn the computer off, connect it and reboot after you install windows and you should be able to access both operating systems through a reboot and the bios if need be, but you can also just copy files back and forth once windows in on the ssd

I might not know what I'm talking about but I'm gonna say it anyways

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen r5 1600 w/ stock cooler

Motherboard: ASRock AB350M Pro 4

Ram: GSkill Aegis 8gb 3000 MHz

Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 480gb SSD and Hitachi 2tb 7200 rpm HDD

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce Rx 460 4gb

Case: Xion Black MicroATX Mid Tower Case

PSU (Needs to be changed soon): Logisys 480W Generic Psu

Monitor: 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry Mx Silent

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB

Headset: Sades over-the-ear headphones w/ Mic

Best way is probably to disconnect the HDD, install Windows on the SSD, then reconnect the HDD and format it while in Windows (running on the SSD).

Windows 10 will not defrag an SSD, it will run TRIM, which is kind of what defragging is for HDDs, but for SSDs. It won't cause unnecessary writes. 

EDIT: I believe MS also changed the wording in Windows from "defragment" to "optimise" or something similar to prevent people thinking it is actually trying to defrag the SSD. 

• Install SSD
  • Back up data from HDD
  • Install operating system of choice on SSD using OS installer
  • Once in OS, format HDD so it's empty with a disk tool of choice
  • Done now

OS installer should pick suitable disk format itself, for the HDD I'd go FAT32.

Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 - 4GB RAM - Intel GM45 Graphics - Ubuntu 17.10 Artful / GNOME

Upcoming desktop(planned): CPU Unsure(Dual Xeon?) - 8GB RAM - RX 460/470 - Fedora Linux / KDE Plasma 5 Ubuntu 17.10 Artful / GNOME

Phone: LG Nexus 5 - LineageOS 14.1(Android 7.1.2) with no GoogleApps

Gaming: PS4 Slim - 500GB HDD(Upgrading soon, running out of space)

IoT: Home Assistant on Raspberry Pi - Smart Switch(x1)

Crypto: Bitcoin(profit: 14 eur) - Dogecoin(profit: ~50 eur) - Ethereum(profit: n/a)

Knowledge: Linux - Blockchain - Artificial Intelligence

Languages: English - Dutch - Russian