cabling in modular PSUs

johnyb98

Good evening.

Please, I would like your help about an issue in modular PSUs cabling.

A. question
Suppose I want to replace a sata or molex power cable in a modular power supply.
My question is: does each manufacturer has its own replacement cables for its PSU item?
And not only that. For each specific item, it has a specific replacement cable? I mean, e.g.
a 550W CoolerMaster has a different cable of a 700W let's say sata.
Or it doesn't matter manufacturer. In market there are compatible cables for all PSUs and no damage is gonna take place.

B. question
If I have let's say two different modular PSUs e.g. CoolerMaster and Corsair, and in one of them (let's say Corsair), in package, I have a cable remain. Can I use it in CoolerMaster if I need it? I guess this is relevant to question A., but I would like to make a separate question.

Thank you!

In terms of brand, within each category (eg Corsair RMX series) the cables are the same, but not within the entire brand and certainly not across brands.

Some use similar or the same connectors, but they may have different pin outs. Some brands even have entirely different connectors (for example, Corsair uses FCable, Be Quiet has way different looking connectors).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

A. Most manufacturers have replacement cables you can buy, but sometimes they're not actually listed and you may have to contact the manufacturer to get them. 

The only thing you can really say about differing cable layouts is that it depends on the unit. Some PSUs will use the same cables throughout all the wattages, others will no. Some may use the same cable pinouts for all of their PSUs, some may not. 

There are no universal modular cables, pinouts and connector layouts change from manufacturer to manufacturer, series to series and unit to unit. 

B. Depends. Most of the time, no. 

2 hours ago, johnyb98 said:

B. question
If I have let's say two different modular PSUs e.g. CoolerMaster and Corsair, and in one of them (let's say Corsair), in package, I have a cable remain. Can I use it in CoolerMaster if I need it? I guess this is relevant to question A., but I would like to make a separate question.

Thank you!

no, you have to measure it.

But generally it is NO.

You need to verify it first.

In the olden days you needed to look at the connector and see the colors...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"