Firefox 57 (aka Quantum) out now. Huge performance improvements.

pyrojoe34

I think I'm going to fully switch back to FireFox from Vivaldi. I wouldn't call it superior to Vivaldi in terms of features but at least I'm not getting serious audio sync issues like I was.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 hour ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I think I'm going to fully switch back to FireFox from Vivaldi. I wouldn't call it superior to Vivaldi in terms of features but at least I'm not getting serious audio sync issues like I was.

What about security?Firefox is far older than Vivaldi.

Just now, MyName13 said:

What about security?Firefox is far older than Vivaldi.

Vivaldi is Chromium based which is at most one month behind Chrome except in security patches.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I've been using the new FF for a little bit now. Sure feels a lot better than chrome did for me the last few weeks

Welp

7 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Vivaldi is Chromium based which is at most one month behind Chrome except in security patches.

What exactly is chromium?Does it include html, css and JS engines?I've heard that it's a browser but I've never seen someone use it.

1 minute ago, MyName13 said:

What exactly is chromium?Does it include html, css and JS engines?I've heard that it's a browser but I've never seen someone use it.

Chromium is chrome just open source without the Google stuff

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

14 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Chromium is chrome just open source without the Google stuff

Then why do we have chrome?Why hasn't anyone used chromium to make a fully open source browser?

2 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Then why do we have chrome?Why hasn't anyone used chromium to make a fully open source browser?

Firefox and chromium are both fully open source (For Firefox, this is the case as long as you don't include the module that allows HTML5 based DRM).

7 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

cause google

almost all browsers that aren't firefox, edge, safari are chromium based

Chromium is fully open source (so is FF btw)

If you want to the closest thing to chrome but without the big G BS, just use chromium for yourself, it's bot hard to install, just go to chromium.org and grab it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

11 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Firefox and chromium are both fully open source (For Firefox, this is the case as long as you don't include the module that allows HTML5 based DRM).

Is Firefox based on chromium?

Just now, MyName13 said:

Is Firefox based on chromium?

No, it is currently based on a hybrid of Gecko and Servo (Part of the reason for the big speed improvements were them incorporating Servo parts, and they are still replacing components of Gecko with Servo so it will only get better. (Servo is far better in regards to performance and security)) both of which are open source.

3 hours ago, MyName13 said:

Chrome has the marketing power of Google behind it. If you use google and something other than chrome you are pestered to "upgrade to the fastest browser" and that "Google is better on chrome" (at collecting your personal information for the latter). This is probably why the majority of the market does not consider Firefox ,opera or Vivaldi , there is little advertisement for them.

5 hours ago, Mooshi said:

From what I've read, nothing is groundbreaking, Firefox just sucks less. Which is a sad thing to say because it was my main many years ago without hesitation.

No matter what browser I use, I always find myself returning to Chrome because it just works and I have the ram to make the usage a non-issue. I was an avid Opera user, but I recall little janky things it failed at like certain video formats when embedded that Chrome played fine.

What do you not like about it? 

3 hours ago, tjcater said:

No, it is currently based on a hybrid of Gecko and Servo (Part of the reason for the big speed improvements were them incorporating Servo parts, and they are still replacing components of Gecko with Servo so it will only get better. (Servo is far better in regards to performance and security)) both of which are open source.

If we are going to be pedantic, Gecko and Servo are just layout engines. You need other components too such as ionmonkey (JS engine) to make a full browser. 

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

What do you not like about it? 

When I still used Opera, there were certain things that didn't load right that had me opening up Chrome anyway so I switched entirely.

I did love speedials from Opera and have that set for Chrome.

8 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

If we are going to be pedantic, Gecko and Servo are just layout engines. You need other components too such as ionmonkey (JS engine) to make a full browser. 

Fair enough, maybe I should show some love to Blink.

16 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

When I still used Opera, there were certain things that didn't load right that had me opening up Chrome anyway so I switched entirely.

I did love speedials from Opera and have that set for Chrome.

Opera was infamous for being incompatible with pages. Firefox is not. 

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Opera was infamous for being incompatible with pages. Firefox is not. 

I don't entirely remember what Firefox did that drove me away, but it was enough to switch even though that old PC had 8gb of ram.

Woke up this morning to the new Firefox on mobile. A much better experience! So much faster and more responsive.  I'm a happy Firefox consumer again.

Maybe they wanted to test PC platforms before releasing the update on mobile?

Just now, notrespond said:

Just letting you know you can’t self advertise on here. The mods will remove it. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I have tested the new FF, and I must say that Opera uses about 70mb less memory than ff while streaming youtube videos at 720p. They still have some work to do.

I don't know guys..it doesn't look very promising to me. I get the same performance figures as the earlier versions of firefox.

Edit: I cant say how it compares to chrome because i never have used a browser other than firefox for my personal use in around 10 years. (except netscape maybe)

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by titan384
info about chrome

35 minutes ago, titan384 said:

I don't know guys..it doesn't look very promising to me. I get the same performance figures as the earlier versions of firefox.

Edit: I cant say how it compares to chrome because i never have used a browser other than firefox for my personal use in around 10 years. (except netscape maybe)

Untitled-1.jpg

I get less performance than versions of Firefox which run just fine on Pentium 4...so yeah it needs a lot of bloat removed.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, titan384 said:

When you say you get the same performance, what so you base that on? The task manager is not a good i dictator of performance because that only tells you how much resources are being used, not how much work is actually being done. 

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

When you say you get the same performance, what so you base that on? The task manager is not a good i dictator of performance because that only tells you how much resources are being used, not how much work is actually being done. 

i read somewhere (probably in Mozilla's documents somewhere) that firefox will now use less ram and cpu compared to previous versions.

8 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I get less performance than versions of Firefox which run just fine on Pentium 4...so yeah it needs a lot of bloat removed.

exactly. firefox needs a lot of work to be done.. but i still consider it the best out there for my particular needs. i am not going to ditch firefox for anything unless they make me do that. like netscape navigator did back in the day.