How much GPU power do you need for a 4K 144Hz monitor?

south221

The title is probably a bit confusing (I mean, if you want to play AA-AAA games on high-ultra settings with good performance on such a display, what kind of/how much graphics cards would you need?)

And no, I'm not going to buy or try one, it's just plain curiosity (after seeing Predator X27 and PG27UQ)...

I was thinking about Quadro P6000, but what about GeForce or Vega cards?

quad 1080TIs or Titan Xp setups are my first thought

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

There isn't really enough GPU power on the market to do this. We still don't have a card that can reliably max games on 4K - the 1080Ti and TitanXp still have issues with many games at 4K. 

My 1080Ti even doesn't fare so well at 1440p. There's many games I can't even hit 100FPS on.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

Too much.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

One of my friends is buying one as soon as it's released. He currently has a 1080, might upgrade to a 1080Ti, but he's getting it more for the (dare I say it) "future proof" aspect of it. You won't need a monitor for a really, really long time.

As for you question, loads. I'd want at least 1080Ti SLI, but really if you're paying the rumored $2,200 for the monitor, it's not unreasonable to think you'd also have a system like that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

A LOT of graphics card. I dont think even a 1080ti SLI setup can keep up at all times.

It also seems that Volta wont come in gaming flavour as Ampere got revealed before Volta gaming cards (probably those tensor cores dont do well in games so performance gain is rather small). This means more time to wait till there's a card that can handle 4K 144Hz in AAA games with high graphics settings. At this point of time a 4K 144Hz display is only good for esports games, though they are good ones in that aspect.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

If you mean to hit 144FPS at 4K in the newest games at ultra, no setup currently exists to be able to do this and probably wont for some time. Thing is though you don't need to match the refresh rate of your monitor for it to be worth it, 60FPS/144Hz is a lot better than 60FPS/60Hz simply due to less tearing and input lag.

44 minutes ago, south221 said:

The title is probably a bit confusing (I mean, if you want to play AA-AAA games on high-ultra settings with good performance on such a display, what kind of/how much graphics cards would you need?)

And no, I'm not going to buy or try one, it's just plain curiosity (after seeing Predator X27 and PG27UQ)...

I was thinking about Quadro P6000, but what about GeForce or Vega cards?

There are no GPU's on the market right now to get this kind of performance reliably across the board. 1440p 144hz in all games isn't really doable either. gonna have to wait a generation or two at least before you can see that kind of performance... or gonna have to tweak a lot of graphical settings.

35 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Thing is though you don't need to match the refresh rate of your monitor for it to be worth it, 60FPS/144Hz is a lot better than 60FPS/60Hz simply due to less tearing and input lag.

lol. just stop m8. Nothing about what you just said here makes any sense. 60fps 144hz creates tearing, not reduces it. and there is no input lag difference between a 144hz monitor and a 60hz monitor if they're both running at 60 fps. You're still getting 60 fps and the frames still appear 16.7ms apart.

35 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

lol. just stop m8. Nothing about what you just said here makes any sense. 60fps 144hz creates tearing, not reduces it. and there is no input lag difference between a 144hz monitor and a 60hz monitor if they're both running at 60 fps. You're still getting 60 fps and the frames still appear 16.7ms apart.

The higher the refresh rate of the monitor, the faster the most recent frame takes up the majority of the screen, making the tear less visible. For a vertical tear to be removed you need the monitor to refresh again before a new frame is received by the monitor, can you explain how a higher refresh rate makes this process slower, and thus makes tearing worse?

Further, can you explain how a monitor refreshing faster, and thus showing you the most recent frame drawn by the GPU faster, makes no difference for input lag?

You are wrong on both fronts, it's as simple as that.

47 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

can you explain how a higher refresh rate makes this process slower, and thus makes tearing worse

60fps at 60hz results in no tearing. the monitor displays 1 frame per time it refreshes its image. Everything is synchronized. 60fps at 144hz does not do this. There will be times when the monitor refreshes its image, and there will be two separate frames on screen, resulting in a tear. If you had a higher framerate to accompany the higher refresh rate, the distance between tears would be less, making them less noticeable to the naked eye (even though they would be more frequent) so that is good to note, but none of this is better than non-existent tearing which is what you get with 60fps/60hz.

54 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Further, can you explain how a monitor refreshing faster, and thus showing you the most recent frame drawn by the GPU faster, makes no difference for input lag

because 60 fps is 60 fps. in a 60 fps situation, your GPU will update the image and send it to your monitor every 16.67ms. if your monitor is a 60hz monitor, it will update every 16.67 ms as well, resulting in no lost time. if you have a 144hz monitor, a new image will begin being drawn every 16.67ms, regardless of whether or not the monitor is mid refresh (resulting in a tear, but it still updates 16.67 ms after the GPU sent the last frame), resulting in no lost time. No lost time in either situation means the difference between 60hz and 144hz does not change input lag.

So yes, I CAN explain it.

15 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

60fps at 60hz results in no tearing.

Can you just take five seconds to go and try this yourself so you can prove yourself wrong?

15 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

because 60 fps is 60 fps. in a 60 fps situation, your GPU will update the image and send it to your monitor every 16.67ms. if your monitor is a 60hz monitor, it will update every 16.67 ms as well, resulting in no lost time. if you have a 144hz monitor, a new image will begin being drawn every 16.67ms, regardless of whether or not the monitor is mid refresh (resulting in a tear, but it still updates 16.67 ms after the GPU sent the last frame), resulting in no lost time. No lost time in either situation means the difference between 60hz and 144hz does not change input lag.

So yes, I CAN explain it.

This doesn't happen though because the GPU and monitor aren't synchronized, monitors update at a fixed rate while GPU's draw frames at a variable rate, why do you think VSYNC exists?

Lets use an exaggerated example to prove you even further wrong. Say you are rendering at 1FPS on a 1Hz monitor, that means the monitor is only refreshing one time every second. Lets say the monitor refreshes, but 3ms after that the GPU draws another frame, meaning you now have to wait another 997ms for the monitor to refresh. Now lets say you are rendering at 1FPS on a 240Hz monitor, the monitor refreshes, but 3ms later the GPU draws another frame and you have to wait another 1.16ms for the monitor to refresh.

Milliseconds are a measure of time, 997 is a bigger number than 1.16, is this starting to make sense to you why a higher refresh rate means less input lag? I don't know why this is even an argument, assuming you have a high refresh rate display, just cap a game at 60FPS with no VSYNC and try it yourself at 60Hz compared to 120/144Hz.

You need an i7 8700k at 5.3ghz with Quadro P6000 OC'ed in 2way SLI, RAM should be at 3200mhzCL14 (32gb).

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

9 hours ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Snip

well alright then. It doesn't matter if you understand why you're wrong or not. at the end of the day this is not what this thread is about. I will not entertain your ignorance any further and this thread can return to its original topic.

8 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

You need an i7 8700k at 5.3ghz with Quadro P6000 OC'ed in 2way SLI, RAM should be at 3200mhzCL14 (32gb).

This setup will not yield the desired level of performance. Sure its probably the best thing you could possibly hope for on the market today, but its still not enough horsepower (especially on the GPU side of things) to fuel a variety of games at his requested settings and resolution/refresh rate.

We don't have anything yet (consumer level at least) that will. Good thing those 144hz panels have g sync :) I can't wait to get the pg27uq

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

A 1080Ti is there or thereabouts for 4K/60 at ultra (minor settings changes perhaps). To go from 60 to 144 or even 100 is a huge leap. Let’s face it,  a single card won’t be able to do that for at least 3 years. Which means once 4K/144 monitors are more commonplace and kind of affordable, SLI will then be more fashionable (right now everyone and their dog are complaining that SLI is crap). Which should mean that SLI support from nvidia and amd, and the developers, will improve. 

Thats my hope anyway. 

Love not hate

5 hours ago, Zyndo said:

well alright then. It doesn't matter if you understand why you're wrong or not. at the end of the day this is not what this thread is about. I will not entertain your ignorance any further and this thread can return to its original topic.

Damn you got me, you proved all of my points to be incorrect, what a fool I look,

Congratulations, you win this argument.

On 11/15/2017 at 12:45 AM, jeremymwilson said:

once 4K/144 monitors are more commonplace and kind of affordable, SLI will then be more fashionable (right now everyone and their dog are complaining that SLI is crap). Which should mean that SLI support from nvidia and amd, and the developers, will improve

Multi-GPU support COULD improve going forward, but not in the traditional "SLI" (or Crossfire) sense. From my understanding, SLI is on its way out. LDA/MDA is what most people have been talking about since the Pascal SLI adjustments, but rumor has it that Nvidia is working on another technology to directly replace the aging SLI standard. In any case, you can bet that these new technologies (whether it be the generic LDA/MDA or whatever Nvidia/AMD has up their sleeves) will require it to be up to individual developers to properly code and implement into their games/engines and whatnot in order for these features to work at all... which is unfortunate, because few developers are going to go out of their way and spend extra money on something which otherwise won't really help their game sell all that much better. If there is no ROI for a company to spend the time and money on doing something, there is a very good chance they just won't do it.

So I too hope for a multi-GPU future, but I just don't see it happening. But then again I didn't see the 1070ti happening, so who knows what kind of crazy stuff they'll think of next ;)

On 11/14/2017 at 12:26 PM, south221 said:

I don't have a 4K/144Hz panel (yet).  However, I've been doing some experimentation with BF1 recently.  My settings are custom: 1440p, maxed out everything except AA and ambient occlusion (both disabled).  My rig is able to hold 142FPS, where I have it locked in the NVidia driver, pretty easily on most maps.

For giggles, I set the scaling to 150%, which is equivalent to 4K.  I saw the load on my GPUs almost double (not quite), but I maintained my basic 142FPS on most maps.

I'm using 2 Titan X Pascals (the gimped ones, not the Xp), which have been OC'd +200 core/+500 memory.  This works exceptionally well in titles like BF1 because Frostbite does SLI so fricken well.  Other titles might not.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

more than what will be available during the next few years. I mean you can play them at 4K/100~ish Hz  smooth but with lowering all the rest of the quality of the game, making the title not really AA/AAA anymore.