My attempt at a gaming pc

Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($379.50 @ Vuugo) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($189.00 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($219.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($78.50 @ Vuugo) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card  ($654.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($44.68 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case Fan: Corsair - HD120 RGB 3-Pack w/Controller 54.4 CFM  120mm Fans  ($94.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $1966.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-14 09:01 EST-0500

I changed around a lot of stuff and squeezed quite a bit of extra performance out of it.

Just now, dave_k said:

The higher-end boards do that.

Usually, the VRM should shut down at 105°C, buildzoid's Prime B350 Plus did run 117°C benchmarking, here is Strix B350-F at 120°C from OCN

900x900px-LL-546aa05b_629fa047-s.jpeg

Gawd....that took long, i thought you had all this "knowledge" on tap....*low blow*..........anyway this is not what i asked, i asked if you can show me an ASUS MOBO that will run past what the manufacture had deemed to be "allowed". It is public knowledge that VRMs, even though specified to run at a specified temperature can and will run past it if need be(whatever the reason) but once the MOBO does not go close to the redline temperature it will run and run fine, yes you may get discoloration on the back end of the PCB where the MOBO is but is will run fine and MOBO PCBs have come along way since the blue ones.

If you check all my replies, i talked about ASUS MOBOs and not any other brand because their build quality surpasses what the post as acceptable and can usually run past what is stated to be the temperature limit/max and this is where the MOBO comes in regarding voltage and temperatures, once it sees the temperature to get close to a limit it will auto shut down, we see it as a blue screen and boot into BIOS for you to make adjustments which means to lower whatever you raised  or lowered from default configuration that will cause some issue that the user or as you put it "average joe" may not understand.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

50 minutes ago, Leonard said:

It is public knowledge that VRMs, even though specified to run at a specified temperature can and will run past it if need be(whatever the reason) but once the MOBO does not go close to the redline temperature it will run and run fine, yes you may get discoloration on the back end of the PCB where the MOBO is but is will run fine and MOBO PCBs have come along way since the blue ones.

I wouldn't call exploding caps a PCB discoloration.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

57 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Gawd....that took long, i thought you had all this "knowledge" on tap....*low blow*..........anyway this is not what i asked, i asked if you can show me an ASUS MOBO that will run past what the manufacture had deemed to be "allowed". It is public knowledge that VRMs, even though specified to run at a specified temperature can and will run past it if need be(whatever the reason) but once the MOBO does not go close to the redline temperature it will run and run fine, yes you may get discoloration on the back end of the PCB where the MOBO is but is will run fine and MOBO PCBs have come along way since the blue ones.

If you check all my replies, i talked about ASUS MOBOs and not any other brand because their build quality surpasses what the post as acceptable and can usually run past what is stated to be the temperature limit/max and this is where the MOBO comes in regarding voltage and temperatures, once it sees the temperature to get close to a limit it will auto shut down, we see it as a blue screen and boot into BIOS for you to make adjustments which means to lower whatever you raised  or lowered from default configuration that will cause some issue that the user or as you put it "average joe" may not understand.

58 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Do you have evidence these things actually have working protections?

On the Rampage VI Extreme it starts throttling at 100C. The Prime Plus @dave_k showed was going up to over 120C (and the mosfets themselves were probably even hotter, possibly over 125C due to thermal resistance of the casing itself)

5_7980xe-freq-throttling.png

125C on the mosfets is high enough to potentially affect the caps.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

19 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Do you have evidence these things actually have working protections?

On the Rampage VI Extreme it starts throttling at 100C. The Prime Plus @dave_k showed was going up to over 120C (and the mosfets themselves were probably even hotter, possibly over 125C due to thermal resistance of the casing itself)

5_7980xe-freq-throttling.png

125C on the mosfets is high enough to potentially affect the caps.

Do you have proof that the board in question does not have working protections?

When have i ever stated that the temperature would not affect the caps?....i said that the MOBO will shut down and post into BIOS for the user to make adjustments to changes that were made.

You and dave_k are harping that the VRM temperatures will make the caps blow and i am saying that the MOBO will shut down before that happens in the event of a BSOD.

The LX range of boards on Sandy bridge were also thought to not have enough cooling and somehow they still work without blown caps while OCed.

I am saying ASUS boards has always shown a track record of being able to handle what they specify and if they say you can run CPU X/Y on it then i have no reason to doubt them. I can't say the same for any other manufacture. 

If you and dave_k and even the whole of LTT decides that the MOBO i chose can be though over as a choice or that they would not recommend it that is fine i made that clear.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

Do you have proof that the board in question does not have working protections?

When have i ever stated that the temperature would not affect the caps?....i said that the MOBO will shut down and post into BIOS for the user to make adjustments to changes that were made.

You and dave_k are harping that the VRM temperatures will make the caps blow and i am saying that the MOBO will shut down before that happens in the event of a BSOD.

The LX range of boards on Sandy bridge were also thought to not have enough cooling and somehow they still work without blown caps while OCed.

I am saying ASUS boards has always shown a track record of being able to handle what they specify and if they say you can run CPU X/Y on it then i have no reason to doubt them. I can't say the same for any other manufacture. 

If you and dave_k and even the whole of LTT decides that the MOBO i chose can be though over as a choice or that they would not recommend it that is fine i made that clear.

My evidence is not cold and hard evidence, but rather suggested evidence.

I showed that the Rampage VI Extreme was throttling when the mosfets reached 100C. In the video shown the Prime Plus was reaching over 120C on the mosfet casing (most likely the mosfets themselves were over 125C due to thermal resistance of the casing itself) yet still wasn't shutting down or throttling. 

If Asus had working temp protection on the Prime Plus it would've been throttling by then. Or shutting itself off. But it didn't.

That's not to mention that even IF they did have working temp protection, that temp protection WOULD limit your OCing potential. Which makes that water cooler kind of a waste.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb