LukasFragas

Multiple users on one PC simultaneously

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey Guys & thanks in advance!

Can me and my girfriend use same PC at the same time?

-Two monitors

-Two mice

-Two keyboards
-Two games

I have quite powerfull PC (NCASE M1, 1080ti, 7700k, 32gb, custom water A240G) so it would be nice if i could play CSGO and my Girlfriend (imaginary) could play some other game.

All the internet says - NOT POSSIBLE - but this is LINUS, so im sure they should find some solution to impossible tasks. (like cut pc in half or something else)

Linus used unRAID in his video to acomplish this. Now the thing is, unRAID costs money and is proprietary. And, you'd need multiple GPU's(1 per monitor). But who am I to say no you can't.

You need to run visualization software. Boot some kind on Linux on your PC and install, from there create 2 VM's and enable GPU passthrough on each one of them. unRAID would make this really easy, but you can do it without.

Desktop(coming): AMD Ryzen 3 1200 - ASRock A320M-HDV - XFX RX 560 4GB - CM Masterbox Lite 3.1 - Ballistix Sport LT 1x8GD4 - EVGA 430W PSU - Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD - Ubuntu 17.10 Gnome

Laptop: Intel Core2Duo P8700 - 4GB DDR2 - Intel GM45 Express graphics :( - Ubuntu 17.10 Gnome (Xorg)

Phone: LG Nexus 5 - LineageOS 14.1 - No gapps(Google Apps)

LOONIGS IS GUD WANDOWS = BAD

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

GPU passthrough in a VM isn't universal, bear that in mind. Most (all?) of the free VM software out there doesn't support that feature.

KVM does, and is free. Just not super user friendly, compared to VirtualBox/similar.

Entirely dooable but you need a 2nd GPU. And you would lose 1/2 your CPU performance to the other "computer" .

Checkout this for more info 

~ Main Rig ~

- Mastercase Maker V - Asus Z170-AR - i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz - EVGA GTX 1080 HYBRID - 2x16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200Mhz - 1TB Crucial SSD + 960Pro 512GB m.2 - 

- Corsair H100i v2 - EVGA Supernova 850W Gold - Fractal & Slipstream Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Steelseries Apex 350 - Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] + 27'' Asus ROG PG27AQ [4k 60hz G-Sync] + 2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - Corsair Sabre Mouse - DT 990 Pro Headphones + FiiO Amp - 

~ Server ~

- 20TB NAS/Server w/ 6700k - 64GB Ram - 950Pro m.2 + 960Evo m.2 + 120GB SSD Boot - 900/400 Fiber -

To avoid as much problems as possible you should buy 2nd GPU.

And when you say that you have powerfull PC ... i7 7700k is 4c/8t CPU. So if you devide that by half, you will get dual core with hyperthreading. So something like i3.

Not to mention that if you use unRAID you usually assign 1 core just for it. So you would be left with 3c/6t when using unRAID.

Something like Ryzen would come in hadny here.

Intel i5 8600k 5.0GHz | ASUS Z370-G Gaming | Dark Rock 3 | Corsair 3200MHz 16GB | RM650x | GTX 1070 EVGA FTW | Thermaltake Core V21

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HyperX Fury 480GB | 3x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

5 hours ago, LukasFragas said:

Hey Guys & thanks in advance!

Can me and my girfriend use same PC at the same time?

-Two monitors

-Two mice

-Two keyboards
-Two games

I have quite powerfull PC (NCASE M1, 1080ti, 7700k, 32gb, custom water A240G) so it would be nice if i could play CSGO and my Girlfriend (imaginary) could play some other game.

All the internet says - NOT POSSIBLE - but this is LINUS, so im sure they should find some solution to impossible tasks. (like cut pc in half or something else)

Yes and no.

You could do this with unRAID, assuming you picked up another GPU.

What it would do is create to Virtual Machines - each with Windows installed. Then you'd pass one GPU to each VM, along with a set of KB+M+Monitor.

But honestly, it's a hassle, and not normally worth the effort.

You can create a CS:GO box for pretty damn cheap.

Go watch 2 gamers one CPU:

You might also want to watch the follow up videos, as they might provide additional insight.

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *