Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Merkey

Should I get a custom ROM?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, so the question is in the title. I cannot decide wheter I should install a custom rom (Lineage OS or Paranoid android) on my Xperia Z5 premium. I want to have additional customization and more system options. Why not? I worry about the phone getting laggy after few months with the rom (like my galaxy S3 did), I have no issues with Sony's stock rom so far.

Is it worth flashing for more features?

I wouldn't. I don't find there's any features I'd want that I can't get from a custom launcher like Nova, which keeps the phone more...secure. Plus there's no chance of bricking it.

There are of course others who can't live without it.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I wouldn't. I don't find there's any features I'd want that I can't get from a custom launcher like Nova, which keeps the phone more...secure. Plus there's no chance of bricking it.

It may seem like a noob question, but what is a launcher? Is it just to change the appearance?

Just now, Merkey said:

It may seem like a noob question, but what is a launcher? Is it just to change the appearance?

Sort of? It changes a lot of things though. Adds tap features, etc.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 hours ago, Merkey said:

It changes your home screen and app drawer and yeah will recommend getting one instead of a custom rom, will recommend nova prime

8 hours ago, shadowblitz3 said:

It changes your home screen and app drawer and yeah will recommend getting one instead of a custom rom, will recommend nova prime

What about Apex, Evie, or Action launcher? I like the looks of those, otherwise they don't seem to be very different. I have no problem with paying a few euros if that is worth it by the way

If this was 2012, I would say “Yes” because they change the very way your phone feels, gets rid of all the unnecessary OEM crap and gives you lots of customization potential.

These days however, I really can’t find a legit reason other than “For the lulz kekekek”. OEM skins are much less obnoxious now, with some going very close to stock Android, Android itself hasn’t evolved much since Lollipop and with stuff like SafetyNet, dm-verity, Verified Boot and the inability to downgrade without getting slapped in the face with a warning are why it’s probably best to stick with a custom launcher.

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

Root and Custom ROM is history for me since 2 or 3 years ago.

I am heavy customize my phone previously and try this and that custom ROM but ... I no longer need it anymore since 2 or 3 years ago.

I nearly forgot how to root already. Opps.