• 2011 Porsche Cayenne/S
    • 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited/Overland
    • 2016 Lincoln MKC
    • 2012 Land Rover LR4 HSE
    • 2013 RX350 FSport
    • 2011 BMW X5
    • 2013 GLK350

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

If I were to get an A4, I'm probably just going to stay with the standard 2.0T with Quattro. I still go to SFU right now so that's a consideration. I had a close call with my Civic during the freak snowstorms during the spring, even in Richmond, so AWD could be nice. The severity of the snow has been progressively getting worse every year it seems.

I'm still young so it's not going to be a family hauler of any sorts and fuel is getting extremely expensive. 145 cents per litre highs this week for god sakes. :dry:

Yeah some kind of AWD is a requirement for me. It just doesn't make sense to get something without it. Though in Richmond I'd be much more concerned about other drivers :P True, I left a couple years ago and then boom. The next year, heavy snow. I think you guys got more than we did out here. I know my parents did on the island. At least you have a beautiful campus though.

Yeah, for sure. I don't drive much though, I actually prefer walking. Even if it's a little farther, it's still nice to get out and enjoy the outdoors. I don't plan on having kids so I never have to worry about a family hauler haha.

It's worth it to go south of the border once a month ;) I remember one of the gas stations had it priced at like $2.65/gallon!

Plus you can hit up Sonics.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

'96 i6 Exploder. Cheap to buy, insure, and repair.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Even over the RX? It's manufactured in Ontario, so I'd still avoid the 6%.

I might be interpreting you wrong. So if you get an American car and buy from the US, you get a 6% discount? Since the RX is manufactured in Ontario you avoid it? 

Unless that 6% discount makes a significant price difference, I would still pick the Lexus.

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I might be interpreting you wrong. So if you get an American car and buy from the US, you get a 6% discount? Since the RX is manufactured in Ontario you avoid it?

NAFTA means that any vehicle made in North America that I import from the US would be duty free. :)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 minutes ago, dizmo said:

NAFTA means that any vehicle made in North America that I import from the US would be duty free. :)

Oh okay, I completely forgot about that. I would still get the RX350. My aunt had a 2006 X5. It was nice for it's time but the repair cost were atrocious and like every German built car, you would have to buy special tools just to access anything.

22 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Snip

I personally wouldn't choose a single vehicle out of that lineup.  But then again I prefer the Subaru Forrester quite a bit.

But another one would be what my wife has.  I bought her the Jaguar F-Pace.  Has plenty of space, sporty and comfortable.  It also is amazingly good looking.  I didn't get the top end version though as it wasn't in stock and we needed the replacement for hers immediately.  But so far we have 45K miles on it and not a single issue.  Her last SUV was the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport from 2011 (which we still have).  It just rolled 245K miles and the only issues we have had is a broken arm rest on the drivers side door and the alternator died on it.  Thats it.  Its not the fastest SUV but it is quite capable.  Plus 34 MPG made up for its lack of power.  

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

4 minutes ago, Zusafek said:

Subaru Forrester

I do too.

4 minutes ago, Zusafek said:

Jaguar F-Pace

I was going to suggest this but I wasn't sure what OP's price point is since the oldest F-Pace is 2016 and they would still be quite pricey.

10 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I do too.

I was going to suggest this but I wasn't sure what OP's price point is since the oldest F-Pace is 2016 and they would still be quite pricey.

Yeah, I'm most likely going to be replacing my 2013 Dodge Dart 1.4T Rallye with either a Forrester or a WRX STI.  As much as I'd like a Corvette again I can't with 2 kids.  

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

31 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Oh okay, I completely forgot about that. I would still get the RX350. My aunt had a 2006 X5. It was nice for it's time but the repair cost were atrocious and like every German built car, you would have to buy special tools just to access anything.

Yep. Which is why I'm so hesitant on the Audi A4 idea. I love the design of the car, but modern German cars, especially the luxury ones, are things you wouldn't want to own when the factory warrantee expires. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Luckily my dad has a ton of specialty tools. Joys of having mechanics in the family. I get your point though. Plus the RX is pretty sexy. Though the more I look into the F, the less likely I am to pick that model. Apparently you can't even get the heated steering wheel in it. :(

1 minute ago, Zusafek said:

I personally wouldn't choose a single vehicle out of that lineup.  But then again I prefer the Subaru Forrester quite a bit.

But another one would be what my wife has.  I bought her the Jaguar F-Pace.  Has plenty of space, sporty and comfortable.  It also is amazingly good looking.  I didn't get the top end version though as it wasn't in stock and we needed the replacement for hers immediately.  But so far we have 45K miles on it and not a single issue.  Her last SUV was the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport from 2011 (which we still have).  It just rolled 245K miles and the only issues we have had is a broken arm rest on the drivers side door and the alternator died on it.  Thats it.  Its not the fastest SUV but it is quite capable.  Plus 34 MPG made up for its lack of power.  

Yeah the Forester is nice, but it lacks cooled seats and the interior is a little...utilitarian. The fact it only has 2 options for the heated seats bothers me a little as well. The price is definitely nicer though, and it has a spacious boot.

I liked the F Pace on paper, and would have loved to get one in a few years when they inevitably freefall price wise, but the  reviews I've seen has been poor. I'd still probably take a look at one later though since reviewers are sometimes tainted by the top tier products :P  The Outlander Sport is cute, but doesn't have the cargo capacity I'd need.

8 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I do too.

Aye, the F Pace is double, if not more than most of the vehicles I was looking at.

2 minutes ago, Zusafek said:

Yeah, I'm most likely going to be replacing my 2013 Dodge Dart 1.4T Rallye with either a Forrester or a WRX STI.  As much as I'd like a Corvette again I can't with 2 kids.  

Can't you mod the Forester to within WRX STI performance? You could with the older generations.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Luckily my dad has a ton of specialty tools. Joys of having mechanics in the family. I get your point though. Plus the RX is pretty sexy. Though the more I look into the F, the less likely I am to pick that model. Apparently you can't even get the heated steering wheel in it. :(

Yeah the Forester is nice, but it lacks cooled seats and the interior is a little...utilitarian. The fact it only has 2 options for the heated seats bothers me a little as well. The price is definitely nicer though, and it has a spacious boot.

I liked the F Pace on paper, and would have loved to get one in a few years when they inevitably freefall price wise, but the  reviews I've seen has been poor. I'd still probably take a look at one later though since reviewers are sometimes tainted by the top tier products :P  The Outlander Sport is cute, but doesn't have the cargo capacity I'd need.

Aye, the F Pace is double, if not more than most of the vehicles I was looking at.

Can't you mod the Forester to within WRX STI performance? You could with the older generations.

Check out the full sized Outlander.  Its actually quite nice.  I don't think it has cooled seats however but it does the job quite well.  

As for modding a Forrester....I have done that.  But this one I don't want to mod.  I just want to keep it factory as I'm not planning on racing it per say.  I have a car for that already.  My 2005 Saab 9-2X Aero is my hoonigan car.  Nothing like leaving unsuspecting people in the dust with a small station wagon.

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

13 minutes ago, Zusafek said:

Check out the full sized Outlander.  Its actually quite nice.  I don't think it has cooled seats however but it does the job quite well.  

As for modding a Forrester....I have done that.  But this one I don't want to mod.  I just want to keep it factory as I'm not planning on racing it per say.  I have a car for that already.  My 2005 Saab 9-2X Aero is my hoonigan car.  Nothing like leaving unsuspecting people in the dust with a small station wagon.

I liked how the facelifted last gen Outlander looked, aside from the plastic everywhere interior, but the new one just reminds me too much of a bloated whale.

The Saab is a great car. Probably one of the few vehicles by them I'd actually buy, thanks to the parts sharing. My dad almost bought one that was sitting in the off sales lot at a dealership by his place for $1,000.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

53 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Yep. Which is why I'm so hesitant on the Audi A4 idea. I love the design of the car, but modern German cars, especially the luxury ones, are things you wouldn't want to own when the factory warrantee expires. 

My friend has an S4, and he complains how much work he has to put into it when he has to repair stuff. He even jokingly has a S4 repair tip jar on his work desk xD

57 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Though the more I look into the F, the less likely I am to pick that model. Apparently you can't even get the heated steering wheel in it. :(

I think that since it is the sport variant they did care for luxuries such as heated steering wheel but it does come with heated/ventilated seats as an option.

7 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I think that since it is the sport variant they did care for luxuries such as heated steering wheel but it does come with heated/ventilated seats as an option.

"Sport". That's actually the biggest complaint I found about the vehicle, that all they did was stiffen the suspension (apparently in a bad way), add a few different electronic systems, and the body kit. Nothing done to the engine. Oh, it does get the 8 speed gearbox...and the only vehicle to get it, as it's the first vehicle it's in. Basically a beta. I'm kind of more inclined to save a few thousand dollars, get the heated steering wheel and throw on an ALTEREGO Tuning body kit...

lexus-rx-in-alterego-body-kit-looks-mena

lexus-rx-in-alterego-body-kit-looks-mena

I love how subtle and OEM it looks.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

That's a RX270. Very nice car.

With a body kit ;) It's the JDM version of the RX350.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

This is probably bc of my Toyota fanboy, but I would not go with any of those, but instead go with a 4Runner Limited. Probably a bit less comfy, but it makes up for super good offroading capability if needed, and they are dead reliable too. Probably can go over 300k on basic maintenance.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

If I had to pick from that list. The Land Rover, not much of a fan of the other brands.

But if I had my personal pick, i'd go for something like an Isuzu D-Max Ute or a Toyta Landcruiser Troop Carrier if we're talking closed body vehicles.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

10 hours ago, Virus__ said:

If I had to pick from that list. The Land Rover, not much of a fan of the other brands.

But if I had my personal pick, i'd go for something like an Isuzu D-Max Ute or a Toyta Landcruiser Troop Carrier if we're talking closed body vehicles.

Sadly, neither of those exist in NA. The Land Cruiser is huge, like above the Sequoia, and Isuzu isn't sold here anymorel

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

12 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Isuzu isn't sold here anymore

At least not the newer consumer ones. They ended sales in 2009, so there are older options.

12 hours ago, terrytek said:

This is probably bc of my Toyota fanboy, but I would not go with any of those, but instead go with a 4Runner Limited. Probably a bit less comfy, but it makes up for super good offroading capability if needed, and they are dead reliable too. Probably can go over 300k on basic maintenance.

The Limited models (the one I'd want) are pretty up there in price still. I love love love the look of the 2010+, but when I look at comparables in that price range I'd rather go with something a little more luxury. The GX460 (fancy 4Runner) is more my style. I'd go a little offroad, but nothing too crazy.

12 hours ago, Virus__ said:

I liked the Isuzu pick up that's smaller, the one based on...a Ranger or Colorado? It had a really nice look to it. Unfortunately even a compact pick up is too big to have in the city. Throw the length in with the shittier turning radius and it just spells PITA. Those old LandCruisers are beasts, but I'd like something with air bags ;) If I was getting something older, I'd try and pick up a Gelandewagen. Just the sound of the door closing won me over when we were doing an inspection on one at my last job. So. Solid.

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

Sadly, neither of those exist in NA. The Land Cruiser is huge, like above the Sequoia, and Isuzu isn't sold here anymorel

One could always import an older JDM vehicle though ;) Just...not that old. Need dem air bags.

1 hour ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

At least not the newer consumer ones. They ended sales in 2009, so there are older options.

TBH I'm shocked they lasted that long in the US market :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

10 hours ago, dizmo said:

The Limited models (the one I'd want) are pretty up there in price still. I love love love the look of the 2010+, but when I look at comparables in that price range I'd rather go with something a little more luxury. The GX460 (fancy 4Runner) is more my style. I'd go a little offroad, but nothing too crazy.

I liked the Isuzu pick up that's smaller, the one based on...a Ranger or Colorado? It had a really nice look to it. Unfortunately even a compact pick up is too big to have in the city. Throw the length in with the shittier turning radius and it just spells PITA. Those old LandCruisers are beasts, but I'd like something with air bags ;) If I was getting something older, I'd try and pick up a Gelandewagen. Just the sound of the door closing won me over when we were doing an inspection on one at my last job. So. Solid.

One could always import an older JDM vehicle though ;) Just...not that old. Need dem air bags.

TBH I'm shocked they lasted that long in the US market :P

Check out Velocity cars if you want to look into a JDM import. They're pretty much the go to for that in Metro Vancouver. 

www.velocitycars.ca/

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Check out Velocity cars if you want to look into a JDM import. They're pretty much the go to for that in Metro Vancouver. 

www.velocitycars.ca/

I'd just import it myself, it's actually quite easy, and loads cheaper. Those SLK's that they have listed for ~$13k sell at auction for about $1k.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler