Core i9 Overclocking Guide – You asked for it!

Almost first?

PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 4.7GHz Turbo

Motherboard: Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA1551 (300 Series)

RAM: 2x8GB Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200MHz

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080

SDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

HDD:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Cooling: Corsair H115i Pro RGB

Main Display: Dell S2417DG 1440p 144/165Hz G-Sync (2560x1440)

Secondary Displays: 2 x Dell P2312H 1080p 60Hz (1920x1080)

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum

Mouse: Logitech G703 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse

Headset: Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X Headset

drowl.gif

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Triggered that Intel voids warranty if you overclock and or delidd but sponsors a video about doing so.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

What's this? A decently researched video that isn't just basic info?!

You did miss like one point though, that's recommending putting a fan on your VRM heatsink, and making sure the motherboard has a real VRM heatsink.

And that auto overclocking can run voltages stupidly high and murder your CPU.

May have been worth noting an anecdote about these chips consuming 1000W under Ln2 and going positive on temps.

But nice otherwise, I await the X399 video. Although there likely isn't as much point in that aside from RAM tuning which can get way too complicated.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

What's this? A decently researched video that isn't just basic info?!

You did miss like one point though, that's recommending putting a fan on your VRM heatsink, and making sure the motherboard has a real VRM heatsink.

And that auto overclocking can run voltages stupidly high and murder your CPU.

May have been worth noting an anecdote about these chips consuming 1000W under Ln2 and going positive on temps.

But nice otherwise, I await the X399 video. Although there likely isn't as much point in that aside from RAM tuning which can get way too complicated.

Which X399 *Kappa* (I'm talking about the fact that Intel's next extreme platform should be X399 with 8th gen stuff)

PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 4.7GHz Turbo

Motherboard: Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA1551 (300 Series)

RAM: 2x8GB Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200MHz

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080

SDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

HDD:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Cooling: Corsair H115i Pro RGB

Main Display: Dell S2417DG 1440p 144/165Hz G-Sync (2560x1440)

Secondary Displays: 2 x Dell P2312H 1080p 60Hz (1920x1080)

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum

Mouse: Logitech G703 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse

Headset: Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X Headset

Now that the video mentioned it... I DEMAND A UNDERCLOCKING VIDEO xD

I underclocked my P4 years ago and it ran better than stock.

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

Triggered that Intel voids warranty if you overclock and or delidd but sponsors a video about doing so.

The former is good cost-saving measure to psychologically induce users to exercise due caution when overclocking (while still buying the more expensive SKU) to reduce RMA rates; the latter is a useful (in terms of the type of audience reached, and comparatively cheap) PR tactic to promote their extremely-niche product(s) to potential consumers who have enough cash to blow on a >$1000 CPU.

Spoiler

Consider what would occur if they did not void warranty on overclocking: the number of people who might fry/degrade their chip within the warranty period (too many volts, too much heat, lack brain cells to research what is safe/isn't safe), and the associated increase in returns they would need to process (which would need to be factored into the base price).

The resultant effect would be higher prices (even more than they are now) to sustain investor-expected profit margins. For reference, Intel charges anywhere from $20 to $50 for a mainstream (non-X series) processor's protection plan.

Dearest Linus,

Very nice video.

Now, please make a video on how to adjust my CPU Clock for Daylight Savings.

I asked my friend and he just stared at me blankly.

When the clocks spring backwards do I underclock or overclock to compensate?

Thanks
- Chunk

Ok while its not an i9, my delidded i7-7700k when clocked to 5GHz @1.4V has a certain problem.

While using Prime 95 (with AVX disabled in prime) 2 of the 8 Threads show 0% load. Its 2 Threads of different cores AND its not always the same Threads.

Otherwise its stable with a Temp of 66°C and 105W Power usage. All Threads are active in Prime95 up to 4.9 GHz.

Does anyone know a way to fix it? Or is it the Limit?

Running it @ 4.5GHz @1,25V on all cores atm. With Powerusage of 65W and 56°C Max Temp. But still want a bit more juice ^^

Also a very good Video with a nice, easy to understand, but detailed Explaination.

And finally one which shows the LLC Level...thanks to you i finally found where it is -.-

Linus, I asked you before and slow down on the ADD meds okay. Just joking. I just want to know, it is very simple, I can get any computer in the world. What Intel 9 do you like that is already set up with the most RAM, etc. The BEST. Do you guys do custom builds or know someone that is the best at what he does? And of course their website if they have one, or just a phone number. Knowing me, something would freak up if I put all the parts together. I would have unlimited respect for all of you. I also wanted to know what are the projects you do that you get funding for, the website or link too them. I would love to give you guys some funds for that too. Thank you so, so much. If I get a computerized response or no response, well, I guess since I am a member of SAG and live there near the "lots" in Santa Monica part of the year it would be considered disrespectful to me and well, I would still watch you guys but figure it out. And also nobody can find me on any Google Search or whatever since I had my lawyer scrub all of my information on anything for privacy reasons. Thank you so much and I would love a reply!         

On 11/13/2017 at 10:38 PM, Ryan One said:

Linus, I asked you before and slow down on the ADD meds okay. Just joking. I just want to know, it is very simple, I can get any computer in the world. What Intel 9 do you like that is already set up with the most RAM, etc. The BEST. Do you guys do custom builds or know someone that is the best at what he does? And of course their website if they have one, or just a phone number. Knowing me, something would freak up if I put all the parts together. I would have unlimited respect for all of you. I also wanted to know what are the projects you do that you get funding for, the website or link too them. I would love to give you guys some funds for that too. Thank you so, so much. If I get a computerized response or no response, well, I guess since I am a member of SAG and live there near the "lots" in Santa Monica part of the year it would be considered disrespectful to me and well, I would still watch you guys but figure it out. And also nobody can find me on any Google Search or whatever since I had my lawyer scrub all of my information on anything for privacy reasons. Thank you so much and I would love a reply!         

You say that, but it appears that you carefully engineered a comment no one will take seriously and LMG will ignore. 

You spew BS and threats and you expect a reply? If I were Linus I'd go out of my way to ignore you after that little tantrum.

And by the way, I would imagine LMG couldn't possibly care less about SAG - Why on Earth would a Canadian-based online media company care a shred about a labor union for actors in California? At least fabricate a lie that makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...

can someone do me a favor? I would like to see the result of "coreinfo.exe -v" on an i9.

I also want to know if Hyper-V is running on an i9.