Do you think the Nintendo Switch is Worth it?

Creed1

I am stuck in a really complicated situation as of now. About 5 months ago, I decided to buy a Nintendo switch. After 2 weeks of owning it, I sold it because I felt the money I used for the switch could be used for more important things (Such as saving up for a vehicle.) Well, I kind of miss my switch and I am looking at possibly buying one coming up this Black Friday.

So here are my questions:

What do you think of the Nintendo Switch?

Is it worth it?

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

2 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

I am stuck in a really complicated situation as of now. About 5 months ago, I decided to buy a Nintendo switch. After 2 weeks of owning it, I sold it because I felt the money I used for the switch could be used for more important things (Such as saving up for a vehicle.) Well, I kind of miss my switch and I am looking at possibly buying one coming up this Black Friday.

So here are my questions:

Is it worth it?

Only if you're into the Nintendo exclusives. Don't even think about playing the latest triple A titles for the PC, PS4, and XBOX One, on the Switch.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

9 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Only if you're into the Nintendo exclusives. Don't even think about playing the latest triple A titles for the PC, PS4, and XBOX One, on the Switch.

Pretty much. I'll be picking a used one up after Christmas since Zelda will finally be finished and then grab the Mario games.

Worth is subjective, only you can answer that part.

If you play the exclusives, sure. Otherwise, no.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I can't believe Nintendo hasn't released virtual console games for the Switch. I was hyped to get one after seeing Super Mario Odyssey at E3, since I figured I'd have two killer games in Zelda BOTW and Super Mario Odyessey to keep me busy. Having since played Zelda BOTW and found it a little underwhelming, I can't justify $360 just to play Super Mario Odyssey. Now if I could buy Zelda A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Final Fantasy III (really VI), Actraiser, F-Zero, Super Castlevania IV, Super Metroid and a bunch of other SNES games I love I'd go buy one today. I don't know what the hell Nintendo is thinking not publishing these games on the Switch, especially given how bare the Switch catalog still is. Instead of getting $450 or so out of me for a Switch, Odyssey, and a bunch of SNES games they're going to get $0 from me this year if I buy a used PSP and install SNES9X and a bunch of roms so I can play SNES games on a portable. And I'm not paying $200 for a New 3DS just to play 25 year old games.

10 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I can't believe Nintendo hasn't released virtual console games for the Switch. I was hyped to get one after seeing Super Mario Odyssey at E3, since I figured I'd have two killer games in Zelda BOTW and Super Mario Odyessey to keep me busy. Having since played Zelda BOTW and found it a little underwhelming, I can't justify $360 just to play Super Mario Odyssey. Now if I could buy Zelda A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Final Fantasy III (really VI), Actraiser, F-Zero, Super Castlevania IV, Super Metroid and a bunch of other SNES games I love I'd go buy one today. I don't know what the hell Nintendo is thinking not publishing these games on the Switch. Instead of getting $450 or so out of me for a Switch, Odyssey, and a bunch of SNES games they're going to get $0 from me this year if I buy a used PSP and install SNES9X and a bunch of roms so I can play SNES games on a portable. And I'm not paying $200 for a New 3DS just to play 25 year old games.

It’s coming soon.

I have a cue light I can use to show you when I’m joking, if you like.

6 minutes ago, TARS said:

It’s coming soon.

Define soon. I'm not going to buy a Switch just to play Super Mario Odyssey for 30-40 hours and then let the system sit and collect dust next to my 360 for 3-5 months waiting for the ability to buy SNES games.

Sorry I don’t work for Nintendo, personally I grew up on the original Nintendo... all Nintendo has to do it dangle it in front of me and I’ll buy it :)

Not to mention Zelda & Mario are absolutely fantastic, and worth it alone to buy the console.

5 minutes ago, TARS said:

Sorry I don’t work for Nintendo, personally I grew up on the original Nintendo... all Nintendo has to do it dangle it in front of me and I’ll buy it :)

Not to mention Zelda & Mario are absolutely fantastic, and worth it alone to buy the console.

Mario Odyssey absolutely looks amazing. I'm playing BOTW currently (Wii-U version) and it's a good game but I feel my evaluation of it is a lot closer to Jim Sterling's 7/10 review than to the rest of the gaming press who gives it 10/10. It's absolutely not a game I find worthy of buying a system for. If I felt it was even a 9/10 no question I would buy the Switch to play it in its full glory. But it feels more like 7.5 to 8 out of ten to me after about 60 hours in.

3 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Mario Odyssey absolutely looks amazing. I'm playing BOTW currently (Wii-U version) and it's a good game but I feel my evaluation of it is a lot closer to Jim Sterling's 7/10 review than to the rest of the gaming press who gives it 10/10. It's absolutely not a game I find worthy of buying a system for. If I felt it was even a 9/10 no question I would buy the Switch to play it in its full glory. But it feels more like 7.5 to 8 out of ten to me after about 60 hours in.

Zelda does loose a little excitement once you have uncovered the entire map, but I am still enamored with it.

Ok this is coming from someone who has liked Nintendo for a good long part of my life so take it as you will.  Objectively speaking will it be getting things like CoD WWII and Madden?  Probably not to be quite frank.  But on the other had it has Doom, is getting LA Noire, Skyrim, Wolfenstein II, a bunch of indie ports, and we'll see what else.  Obviously you'll get all the Nintendo exclusives which are worth their weight.  The biggest thing in my mind is that remember it is a hybrid console handheld.  So when you get a game you will be getting the full game on the go as well which is worth consideration.

12 hours ago, TARS said:

It’s coming soon.

Thank goodness.

Now, to hope Nintendo puts Secrets of Evermore on it.

12 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I am with you on the BOTW.  Got my hands on a used copy of the game.  I like the environment and exploring part (really reminds me a lot of Wind Waker).  But, the battle mechanics seem a step back from the past Zelda games.  Still, I think I only have around 8-10 hours so far.  Maybe my decision will change if a boss shows up.

Mario Odyssey on the other hand, I love it to death.  Really has the charm of Mario 64 in it.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

10 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Now, to hope Nintendo puts Secrets of Evermore on it.

I've yet to play that one. I don't think Square Enix has ever put that on any of the Nintendo VC consoles/handhelds?

I managed to snag a SNES Classic, so VC appetite I had for Switch has been sated. Earthbound was the big game I played as a child but never finished and I finally got finish it last month or so :) Granted, I could've got it on Wii U VC, but when you have a Switch, it seems pointless to invest on that console now. Of course VC is more than just SNES and I look forward to Switch VC for N64 and Gamecube. 

I know some VC-like service is tied with the upcoming paid online multiplayer sub. I wonder what will hit first, VC or that?

In the past ive always purchased whatever console i needed to play Zelda games as they came out but i kinda got sick of blowing that much cash just for one game, now i just watch no commentary play through's on YouTube. 

I was really tempted for this Zelda but the idea of your gear breaking totally turned me off this game, im the type of player that likes to explore every bush, cave, path i can possibly find before progressing down the main story, gathering hearts and getting geared up was such a huge part of what i loved about Zelda, i really dislike the idea of swinging a tree branch at enemies when im 30 hours into my save. 

On 11/13/2017 at 1:03 PM, CmzPlusHardware said:

Is it worth it?

As a console, no. As a handheld, probably not. As a device that can be either, definitely.

I love my switch, the versatility if it ensures that it gets plenty of use. If I wasnt stuck on thunder blight Ganon , id probably be playing it right now.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

12 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

In the past ive always purchased whatever console i needed to play Zelda games as they came out but i kinda got sick of blowing that much cash just for one game, now i just watch no commentary play through's on YouTube. 

I was really tempted for this Zelda but the idea of your gear breaking totally turned me off this game, im the type of player that likes to explore every bush, cave, path i can possibly find before progressing down the main story, gathering hearts and getting geared up was such a huge part of what i loved about Zelda, i really dislike the idea of swinging a tree branch at enemies when im 30 hours into my save. 

Weapons do break but I got used to it the more you explore the more drops you find and since the enemies do scale to you they drop better weapons. Other than the beginning part I've never had to go back to using tree branches unless I was just dorking around.  Plus one of the fun parts is finding the Korok seeds to expand your inventory and have more weapons, shields, and bows on hand. 

On 11/14/2017 at 8:27 PM, Newenthusiast said:

Of all the things I found disappointing in BOTW, the breakable weapons weren't one of them. I think it adds to the survival aspect of the game, and you can always get good new weapons in shrines. It does kind of force you to save your good weapons for mini bosses and other difficult enemies though. The master sword is also unbreakable, though it does have a cooldown time where it's unusable after you have used it for a while. The only times you'll find yourself using tree branches though are in the first five minutes of the game when you awake with no weapons and occasionally to carry fire if you don't have a torch.

If you want a mechanic in the game that's super annoying it's the rain. It makes climbing a real bitch. I mean you would expect scaling mountains to be a nightmare in the rain and it is, but the problem is it rains like you're in Hawaii or the South Island of New Zealand. I mean how much rain can Hyrule realistically get considering it's not a huge rainforest? Considering the game is almost all about exploration and climbing shit any time it rains I just basically put down my controller for a few minutes and go take a shit, watch TV, watch cam bitches on xhamster, jerk off, or whatever until the rain is over.

14 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Of all the things I found disappointing in BOTW, the breakable weapons weren't one of them. I think it adds to the survival aspect of the game, and you can always get good new weapons in shrines. It does kind of force you to save your good weapons for mini bosses and other difficult enemies though. The master sword is also unbreakable, though it does have a cooldown time where it's unusable after you have used it for a while. The only times you'll find yourself using tree branches though are in the first five minutes of the game when you awake with no weapons and occasionally to carry fire if you don't have a torch.

If you want a mechanic in the game that's super annoying it's the rain. It makes climbing a real bitch. I mean you would expect scaling mountains to be a nightmare in the rain and it is, but the problem is it rains like you're in Hawaii or the South Island of New Zealand. I mean how much rain can Hyrule realistically get considering it's not a huge rainforest? Considering the game is almost all about exploration and climbing shit any time it rains I just basically put down my controller for a few minutes and go take a shit, watch TV, watch cam bitches on xhamster, jerk off, or whatever until the rain is over.

I will admit rain can get annoying, my luck is I am always in the midst of climbing an enormous wall and it starts to rain... at that point I just let him play Sylvester Stallone on the wall and do something else for a bit :) 

I still appreciate the mechanic though, especially the aspect of metal weapons & lightning.

short answer YESSSS  

long answer 

objectively you are buying a nintendo branded nvidia shield with proprietary controllers but you are also getting a currently unique experience with it being able to hook up to the television and act as a home console at the moment.

-os is snappy and intuitive if bare bones. 

-the 1st party games are good on a unreal level, i mean stupid good, rewriting the meta of what a good game is good. 

-it is highly mobile if you have a life and just want to be able to pick up a game and play for a bit it is by far the #1 console atm. 

-the 3rd party games that are coming and have come are great.

-it is finally getting common tablet apps such as hulu but most of the features will not be their till early 2018 for internet. 

-its a nintendo product we haven't had a true one of those seance the 3ds and that was made for kids for the most part this one is made for adults who grew up playing nintendo games currently it is my favorite device as long as they deliver heavily on the internet functions it will be an amazing investment otherwise it is just going to be a really cool gaming tablet.

Get it, don't listen to these PC master race people that don't even have a Switch. The Switch has great games and I play it everyday.

I usually play games like Rocket League, ROOM, Mario Kart, Zelda, and a lot others. 

It's a unique piece of hardware and very useful, entertaining, and immersive.