Ds vs New 3DS

Fadednova

The new 2-DS is also a good option. it is the New 3ds without the 3d function. Looks similar with the clamshell (better IMO) and is fast and can play all the same stuff at a much lower price (im from US so check your country)

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

9 hours ago, SlipperyPete said:

The new 2-DS is also a good option. it is the New 3ds without the 3d function. Looks similar with the clamshell (better IMO) and is fast and can play all the same stuff at a much lower price (im from US so check your country)

It's not. The new 3DS has a more powerful cpu in it. It pisses me off that you need the new 3DS to be able to play old school SNES games on it. I wanted to buy that Ocarina of Time 2DS XL bundle until I found out it had no support for the new Virtual Console SNES releases. Fuck paying $200 to play 25 year old SNES games that my $35 Raspberry Pi can blast through. I'll have to look into whether the PSP can emulate the SNES worth a shit.

On 11/13/2017 at 3:24 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

It's not. The new 3DS has a more powerful cpu in it. It pisses me off that you need the new 3DS to be able to play old school SNES games on it. I wanted to buy that Ocarina of Time 2DS XL bundle until I found out it had no support for the new Virtual Console SNES releases. Fuck paying $200 to play 25 year old SNES games that my $35 Raspberry Pi can blast through. I'll have to look into whether the PSP can emulate the SNES worth a shit.

Strange, I was always under the impression the "New" 2DS XL could do every the "New" 3DS can do, save for 3D, as mentioned in reviews such as https://gizmodo.com/if-you-actually-want-to-play-games-get-the-new-nintendo-1797050089 What's the point of calling it "new" if it can't play the "new" only games.

3 hours ago, ono said:

Strange, I was always under the impression the "New" 2DS XL could do every the "New" 3DS can do, save for 3D, as mentioned in reviews such as https://gizmodo.com/if-you-actually-want-to-play-games-get-the-new-nintendo-1797050089 What's the point of calling it "new" if it can't play the "new" only games.

You're right. I didn't know there was a New 2DS XL, I thought the one they were selling in the Black Friday bundle with Ocarina of Time was the newest model of 2DS. $150 for the New 2DS XL is still too high a price IMO for playing 25 year old SNES games.

13 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

You're right. I didn't know there was a New 2DS XL, I thought the one they were selling in the Black Friday bundle with Ocarina of Time was the newest model of 2DS. $150 for the New 2DS XL is still too high a price IMO for playing 25 year old SNES games.

I know it’s stupid but I am still buying it because I want the clamshell because I don’t want my screen to get cracked 

The New 3DS XL is objectively better. Not only is it considerably more powerful but it is backwards compatible with DS games. If the newer 3DS games don't interest you much, then get the DS. If you want to play newer games, then get the New 3DS or 2DS XL. I personally wouldn't recommend the non-clamshell 2DS but rather the 2DS XL. You get a bigger screen, convenient clamshell design, shoulder buttons, and the ability to play New 3DS exclusives. Plus, it has better internal harder. ;)

But hey, you can pick up a DS Lite pretty cheap these days. It wouldn't hurt to pick one up and see if you even like the platform.

On 11/13/2017 at 7:24 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The 2DS XL is pretty much identical to the 3DS XL, minus the 3D. It is also a bit smaller and lighter. IGN also claimed that the 2DS XL's screen is a bit brighter but also a bit washed out compared to the New 3DS XL. The 2DS is the one with inferior internal hardware.

Also, the 2DS XL will play Virtual Console games. So you can go ahead and pick it up worry free. ;)

damn and here is me on my DSi XL still just messing around playing Pokemon and FF Tactics. Haven't even considered a newer one. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

4 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Not according to Nintendo. The say A Link to the Past is only for New 3DS systems.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past-3ds#game-info

The New 2DS can play all new 3DS games. The screen is the only difference between the two. 

https://www.nintendo.com/2ds/new-nintendo-2ds

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

1 hour ago, PETRGangKing said:

The New 2DS can play all new 3DS games. The screen is the only difference between the two. 

https://www.nintendo.com/2ds/new-nintendo-2ds

That's not the 2DS XL though that's on sale for $80 with Ocarina of Time that I was originally wanting to buy. $150 for the New 2DS XL is a price way too high to pay just to play SNES games IMO. At that price I might as well spend the extra $50 for the New 3DS. Fuck Nintendo for not allowing the regular 2DS XL to play these games that I used to play great on single core Athlons with emulators nowhere close to as good as the one Nintendo themselves made.

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

That's not the 2DS XL though that's on sale for $80 with Ocarina of Time that I was originally wanting to buy.

If what I Googled is right, you're correct in that isn't  "New" model. That's a plain 2DS, which doesn't have an XL, IIRC. The only XL 2DS is the New 2DS XL models, which as you mentioned is pricier. I personally would save the $50 and go 2DS XL, which is lighter. But in my case I've own the "old" 3DS XL and I find it hard to justify upgrading since I don't really care for the exclusive stuff New provides with its better hardware. Even more so now that I have a Switch I don't want to invest any more into 3DS software anyway.

On 11/15/2017 at 1:41 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Not according to Nintendo. The say A Link to the Past is only for New 3DS systems.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past-3ds#game-info

My bad. I misread your statement "...no support for the new Virtual Console SNES releases." I somehow missed the SNES part and thought you meant it didn't support Virtual Console, period.

Upon further research I discovered this article which provides Nintendo's explanation for the lack of support on the older handhelds. I don't think I'm alone in being skeptical but it seems like a bit of a joke that Nintendo somehow requires the extra processing power to run an SNES game at its native aspect ratio. Even if that were true, the New 3DS and 2DS both use the same CPU so at the very least, the New 2DS XL should be able to run SNES games.

I wouldn't be surprised if homebrew emulators are able to do this just fine on the 2DS XL or even the older 3DS hardware. 

Maybe the Pixel Perfect is a bit more than a marketing gimmick, IDK. I haven't done enough research but I am pretty skeptical. But regardless, the simple solution is to just eliminate Pixel Perfect mode on the non-New 3DS units. Then they could all run SNES games. This is just Nintendo being stupid again lol.