I have a confession

GOTSpectrum

So the FPU (charged with decimal ops in each core) was shared between two cores, making Windows believe these were one core only? Could you give me please a "detailed explanaition" if I dont understand something, ill google it.

21 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

I actually kinda like it too. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense but I do like it.

I really like the A12 9800 APU for work, home and streaming PCs (its based on a tweaked shrinked down version of Excavator, its 28 nm instead of 32nm and its called Excavator v2)

On 11/13/2017 at 4:31 AM, Ben Quigley said:

I really haven't wanted to admit this, but I think I'm a fanboy of AMD.  Recently I ordered a VEGA 64, I own ryzen and had a bulldozer processor. I actually built someone a FX9590/RX480 PC last year and often find myself recommending AMD products. Okay, it's not exactly AMD, more I like the underdog, the David to your Goliath, the small fry. 

Anyway, I want to hear about your guy's stories of brand loyalty and why you are loyal to said brand.

I have liked the underdog story of amd BUT it wont affect the part i buy. im going to get the best for the money i can regardless AMD Intel Nvidia.  if its similar price similar performance though id go AMD just because.  right now GPU wise AMD makes 0 sense to me due to price inflation's so i wouldn't recommend them Ryzen though has its place 

Oh man! time for a rant. I was just thinking about this today. I grew up with Windows pc's. But a year ago got a Mac. I now use both Mac and Windows. I also have an iPhone 5 which I have had since new. My particular Mac is upgradable so plan on doing that and also tempted to build a custom PC. In fact I just brought a Quadro P4000 for the Mac. 

Now time to alienate people. I very rarely shop based on price. I find what I either like the most or what is going to be best for my use case then I find the point where spending more will not produce any benefit, then factor in my budget and make a decision based on that. 

I do have preferences, I do like intels offerings and Nvidias as well. But I have no problem at all with AMD, as I said, buy based on whats best for the use case. 

The fanboys I hate are the elitist ones, I don't care if its PC, Console, Nvidia, AMD, Windows or Mac, iPhone or Android, there seems to be ones where they will just buy everything a brand sells, like everything. Also the worst are Windows users who buy Android phones, they get really elitist about it, which in reality is just Apple hating. 

I had an iPhone long before I had a mac and people used to be like "Hey you can't have an iPhone you use a windows computer!" My response was always "Who gives a crap" 

The things are just tools, they are things that allow me and all of us to perform a function, they are inanimate object that at the end of the day don't matter. 

I dont give a crap what any thinks of what I buy or even care about what anyone else buys. 

I buy the stuff as tools to do a job, I have no desire to show it off or use it as status symbols. 

I was watching a live stream the other day that Jerry from Barnacules nerdgasm put up showing his new PC getting built at Puget Systems. As they were building the PC they were explaining the reasons for why they used what parts they used. Now Jerry was having a PC built optimised for Premiere Pro and Puget Systems have done every test imaginable and know exactly what is the best setup. 

Yet reading the comments on the stream everyone was saying they were using the wrong parts even though they explained why they were using them. Example being Puget have found that the best CPU for premiere pro is the 14 core i9. Yet all the comments were "Should have used thread ripper!!" "Why no thread ripper?" Then of course they explained that thread ripper is not good for that application and that they use it in other builds for different software. Then the comments turned into "Intel Shill!!!" "You are just paid by intel". 

Stupidest damn crap man. 

My last comments is this. 

Buying AMD does not make you better then NVIDIA and vice versa

Buying Ryzen/threadripper does not make you better then intel abs vice versa. Same goes for windows and mac, iPhone and android and all the other things. 

They are just tools. They perform a function. 

I think a lot of it stems down to hate for companies like nvidia, intel, and apple. Its that whole sticking it to the "Big greedy corporations". But at the end of the day none of it matters. 

The good thing about being a fanboy is it doesn't require much intelligence.  In fact some would argue a lack of intelligence is a prerequisite for it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, William Payne said:

Oh man! time for a rant. I was just thinking about this today. I grew up with Windows pc's. But a year ago got a Mac. I now use both Mac and Windows. I also have an iPhone 5 which I have had since new. My particular Mac is upgradable so plan on doing that and also tempted to build a custom PC. In fact I just brought a Quadro P4000 for the Mac. 

Now time to alienate people. I very rarely shop based on price. I find what I either like the most or what is going to be best for my use case then I find the point where spending more will not produce any benefit, then factor in my budget and make a decision based on that. 

I do have preferences, I do like intels offerings and Nvidias as well. But I have no problem at all with AMD, as I said, buy based on whats best for the use case. 

The fanboys I hate are the elitist ones, I don't care if its PC, Console, Nvidia, AMD, Windows or Mac, iPhone or Android, there seems to be ones where they will just buy everything a brand sells, like everything. Also the worst are Windows users who buy Android phones, they get really elitist about it, which in reality is just Apple hating. 

I had an iPhone long before I had a mac and people used to be like "Hey you can't have an iPhone you use a windows computer!" My response was always "Who gives a crap" 

The things are just tools, they are things that allow me and all of us to perform a function, they are inanimate object that at the end of the day don't matter. 

I dont give a crap what any thinks of what I buy or even care about what anyone else buys. 

I buy the stuff as tools to do a job, I have no desire to show it off or use it as status symbols. 

I was watching a live stream the other day that Jerry from Barnacules nerdgasm put up showing his new PC getting built at Puget Systems. As they were building the PC they were explaining the reasons for why they used what parts they used. Now Jerry was having a PC built optimised for Premiere Pro and Puget Systems have done every test imaginable and know exactly what is the best setup. 

Yet reading the comments on the stream everyone was saying they were using the wrong parts even though they explained why they were using them. Example being Puget have found that the best CPU for premiere pro is the 14 core i9. Yet all the comments were "Should have used thread ripper!!" "Why no thread ripper?" Then of course they explained that thread ripper is not good for that application and that they use it in other builds for different software. Then the comments turned into "Intel Shill!!!" "You are just paid by intel". 

Stupidest damn crap man. 

My last comments is this. 

Buying AMD does not make you better then NVIDIA and vice versa

Buying Ryzen/threadripper does not make you better then intel abs vice versa. Same goes for windows and mac, iPhone and android and all the other things. 

They are just tools. They perform a function. 

I think a lot of it stems down to hate for companies like nvidia, intel, and apple. Its that whole sticking it to the "Big greedy corporations". But at the end of the day none of it matters. 

Well said that man. I do the same re buying parts. I tend to find something I want then look at the next model up and weigh up if I need it or not and if it justifies the extra expense. I'm going to go with Intel this time with my new CPU as the 8400 is more than enough for me with a 1080, I can't afford to pay TWICE the price for an 8600K that I won't overclock. My last CPU was AMD and I've had plenty of both. 

I've also had iPhones for the last 5 odd years too along with Windows PC's. Just a preference but I work on Mac and Linux too. Nice to see what every manufacturer has to offer :)

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

On 11/13/2017 at 5:07 PM, firelighter487 said:

you are like me. i also stick to brands that i have old stuff from that still works.

fanboy detected.

*vega supply*

*vega bundles*

*not updating their cpu lineup for 5 years*

not easy to do when you have intel doing their shady bussiness.(look down for more)

On 11/13/2017 at 7:22 PM, mynameisjuan said:

But monopolies got big because their product was better overall. Not saying that monopolies are good, just saying that business is a survival of the fittest.

You are literally wasting money because you feel bad.  

the problem is that is not why intel is so big right now, intel has done almost every illegal, shady and unethical thing under the sun to make amd go bankrupt, from breaking 2+ year contracts just after the first one (ibm supply agreement), to bribing all the big oems into not selling amd computers, to the point where when amd had their opteron server cpus (which were better than intel chips at the time) amd couldn't have their cpus sold by oems not even by giving away millions of cpus (for free). they also bribed a japan company and manage to completely remove amd from the market when amd had their best cpus, btw all this is illegal and they mostly got away with it, 

its a very human thing to go against the masses. market research is very interesting in this regard. e.g. you also never get the cheapest. even if you dont care about something like what brand of milk or whatever you at least go for the second cheapest. going for the top brand makes you feel like youre wasting money and going for the bottom makes you feel like its inferior in quality somehow because it must be because its the cheapest. 

me personally i do this too to some extend. ill suggest anything other than what everyone has. like ill go high quality but then get a lenovo notebook when everyone is flying towards hp or apple or even acer. also same thing with gpus. ill suggest whatever gpus fits the job but then what brand of e.g. 1070 is again one of those things where i dont get the cheapest even though it might be enough it might be nothing worse than the next one up but ill keep going up the ranks until i at least recognize a reputable brand.

also i like keeping an eco system so if i have a choice ill try keeping it to as few brands as possible e.g. my phone is sony my headphones are sony speakers sony tv sony portable speaker sony. stuff like that. corsair memory means corsair psu means corsair aio means corsair case and maybe even corsair ssd. i think you get what im saying

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3