I have a confession

GOTSpectrum
6 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

I really haven't wanted to admit this, but I think I'm a fanboy of AMD.  Recently I ordered a VEGA 64, I own ryzen and had a bulldozer processor. I actually built someone a FX9590/RX480 PC last year and often find myself recommending AMD products. Okay, it's not exactly AMD, more I like the underdog, the David to your Goliath, the small fry. 

Anyway, I want to hear about your guy's stories of brand loyalty and why you are loyal to said brand.

Nice job. I agree with you. AMD's business decisions are more ethical, and always put the consumer first

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B350 GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb RAM: 8gb Geil EVO Potenza Case:  Phanteks p300 PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: AMD wraith spire

Steam: maxarooni4

Battle.net: MAX

If you have an Oculus HMU in dead and buried   

1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:
  • i bought a gigabyte's motherboard cos the last one lasted me 5,6 years with no issue
  • also i am a bit pro apple, I admit. They sell things at a higher markup, but their customer service is really good. Also the quality of their stuff is top notch. But I do get why people dislike them. 
  • speaker I use is a UE boom mini, and I think my next speaker is gonna be a UE one too cos this one lasted me more than 6 years. 
  • for mouse I am all for steelseries's sensei, cos mine lasted for 7 years and I am still using it

you are like me. i also stick to brands that i have old stuff from that still works.

1 hour ago, AMDPRO said:

Nice job. I agree with you. AMD's business decisions are more ethical, and always put the consumer first

fanboy detected.

*vega supply*

*vega bundles*

*not updating their cpu lineup for 5 years*

She/Her

Turner Bikes - One of the most rock solid customer experiences I've ever had. Bought a used bike from a fellow, it had a cracked frame. It was a known defect, but the frame was outside of it's warranty be several years. Emailed them, got an email back the same day. "Ship it down to us, we'll repair it. Pick out any color you want, and we'll have it powder coated, stickered, and in your hands within 2 weeks." It didn't matter that I was in Canada. Next 2 frames I bought were through them. I've been a fanboy since.

For most things though, I'll go with the company that offers the better product. I do have a soft spot for RRL clothing though.
Dem polos.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

20 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

fanboy detected.

*vega supply*

*vega bundles*

*not updating their cpu lineup for 5 years*

I use a nvidia GPU and have no problem with them. Its with intel that I prefer AMD over.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B350 GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb RAM: 8gb Geil EVO Potenza Case:  Phanteks p300 PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: AMD wraith spire

Steam: maxarooni4

Battle.net: MAX

If you have an Oculus HMU in dead and buried   

I Like brand names because it makes me fell baller B| But it doesn't compensate make up for being a asshole :(

I prefer Zaxbays, Moes, and ChickfilA over other fast food, but tech probably Samsung and Nivida, anime studios Wit and Mad house, games LoL, CS GO, PUBG, Fortnite, and Halo.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

5 minutes ago, AMDPRO said:

I use a nvidia GPU and have no problem with them. Its with intel that I prefer AMD over.

VEGA supply is a mix of miners and HBM2 shortage, although I still don't 100% understand the design choice there.

VEGA bundles was AMDs attempt to get more cards into the hands of gamers, badly executed but you gotta give them credit for trying.

They did update their processors(pile driver and excavator) but if the base architecture is shit, you polish away all you want, it ain't getting good. These actually were improvements of around 15% or so. Still, shitty products, but quite cheap if you shopped around.

I'm not defending the am3+ FX chips here at all, they were abysmal.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Damn quoted the wrong guy @firelighter487 read above.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

I really haven't wanted to admit this, but I think I'm a fanboy of AMD.  Recently I ordered a VEGA 64, I own ryzen and had a bulldozer processor. I actually built someone a FX9590/RX480 PC last year and often find myself recommending AMD products. Okay, it's not exactly AMD, more I like the underdog, the David to your Goliath, the small fry. 

Anyway, I want to hear about your guy's stories of brand loyalty and why you are loyal to said brand.

Why an FX 9590? Only Power Plants love it

5 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Why an FX 9590? Only Power Plants love it

It was cheap at the time, there was issues with getting Intel parts here and he didn't want to wait. Can't remember when it was or the issue they caused the shortage.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

It was cheap at the time, there was issues with getting Intel parts here and he didn't want to wait. Can't remember when it was or the issue they caused the shortage.

Just, a question, since im new to PC building, why in all Bulldozer architectures and moving to Excavator v2, each "2 core module" beheaves as one core?

"I like the underdog".....So you like spending same/similar money for less performance?

Rooting for the underdog in a business standpoint is just stupid. I mean would you buy a sandwich from a chain where the sandwich taste like shit but you just want them to do good? No its dumb. If a company wants my money then they have to show they deserve it more than others. 

10 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Just, a question, since im new to PC building, why in all Bulldozer architectures and moving to Excavator v2, each "2 core module" beheaves as one core?

It was always that it. It's quite complicated and you need a pretty decent knowledge of how processors work, but especially think of processors as pipes. Some parts of these pipes, merged together. Like they shared FPUs for instance. So windows, and most other OSs, say these say hyperthreded cored, rather than individual silicone. This changes how tasks are assigned to each core.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

12 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

"I like the underdog".....So you like spending same/similar money for less performance?

Rooting for the underdog in a business standpoint is just stupid. I mean would you buy a sandwich from a chain where the sandwich taste like shit but you just want them to do good? No its dumb. If a company wants my money then they have to show they deserve it more than others. 

I like to support the underdog then we don't get stagnant market. Monopolies are never a good thing.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

14 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I like to support the underdog then we don't get stagnant market. Monopolies are never a good thing.

But monopolies got big because their product was better overall. Not saying that monopolies are good, just saying that business is a survival of the fittest.

You are literally wasting money because you feel bad.  

8 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

But monopolies got big because their product was better overall. Not saying that monopolies are good, just saying that business is a survival of the fittest.

You are literally wasting money because you feel bad.  

Not really, ryzen was pretty much top notch when it came out and I do use my PC for more compute than gaming so VEGA makes sense. I currently have a GTX 980TI. So I'm not blind. Before they I was a skint child so I got what I could afford.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Not really, ryzen was pretty much top notch when it came out and I do use my PC for more compute than gaming so VEGA makes sense. I currently have a GTX 980TI. So I'm not blind. Before they I was a skint child so I got what I could afford.

no. not for gaming/single thread applications. intel is still king in that.

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

no. not for gaming/single thread applications. intel is still king in that.

And like I said, I don't really do much gaming... I do a lot of compute stuff, and light professional workloads

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

First is my argument is revolved around supporting the underdog, not about money or who could afford what, thats an entirely different issue. 

Second is the 64 vs 1080 is still a waste of money as the 1080 matches and beats it in rendering test while being about $30 cheaper. Again, its wasting money for no reason, not even proof of it being better because your system is a "compute" system so it made sense....

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

First is my argument is revolved around supporting the underdog, not about money or who could afford what, thats an entirely different issue. 

Second is the 64 vs 1080 is still a waste of money as the 1080 matches and beats it in rendering test while being about $30 cheaper. Again, its wasting money for no reason, not even proof of it being better because your system is a "compute" system so it made sense....

I got the Vega on offer for £90 off. And I also support my local butcher, the small sandwich shop on the corner and the local market traders. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I got the Vega on offer for £90 off. And I also support my local butcher, the small sandwich shop on the corner and the local market traders. 

I mean ok, if they make better food than other competitors that great, support them. You are not getting what I am saying. 

10 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

you are like me. i also stick to brands that i have old stuff from that still works.

yeah. to "play it safe"

xD

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

17 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

There's nothing inherently wrong with liking a brand. Just be careful not to let it cloud your judgement or colour your view of others. 

I buy logically, with price in mind. I take pride in almost all of my purchases, no matter how I get it. I do tend to like specific brands as I know the quality level (as far as I know) is good. Corsair is cool in my book, one of my favorites. I also like AMD and Nvidia (but only Nvidia's lower end. their other business practices are horrendous. same exact with intel.). EVGA is also cool. steelseries additionally.

Brand loyalty is a bad way to not get the best value.

I have a Ryzen system because Intel's 7700k honestly sucked compared to the 6700k in terms of performance increase and thermals. My 6700k build was given away to my GF and I went AMD instead of Intel at the time.

Had this happened more recently, I'd have probably went 8700k for the better IPC and clock speeds. I like this system and won't upgrade for awhile. But the point is go for what's the best value *now* and roll with that till you *need* to build again.