I have a confession

GOTSpectrum

I really haven't wanted to admit this, but I think I'm a fanboy of AMD.  Recently I ordered a VEGA 64, I own ryzen and had a bulldozer processor. I actually built someone a FX9590/RX480 PC last year and often find myself recommending AMD products. Okay, it's not exactly AMD, more I like the underdog, the David to your Goliath, the small fry. 

Anyway, I want to hear about your guy's stories of brand loyalty and why you are loyal to said brand.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I am loyal to no brand. I buy what is the best product at the time of purchase. Currently I am on the ryzen + pascal side of things. I disagree with the way intel has gone recently with regards to dishing out incremental upgrades and ryzen was more suitable for my use case. I chose pascal as I disagree with the way AMD handled the rebate thing, and the vega cards were hella expensive for a founders/frontier card at the time I needed a GPU.

If I have had good experience with a brand in the past, I am likely to look at their offerings first. But unless I am in a real rush I will at least look at the competition, and often do a fair amount of comparison, before choosing the product that best fits my needs. 

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

There's a difference between liking a brand and being a fanboy. Fanboys defend their favourite brand beyond the point where it is reasonable and contest irrefutable facts when they don't suit them. Bulldozer was flawed, that doesn't mean you need to be a fanboy to still buy it - as long as you don't lie to anyone else about what they'd be getting.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Brand loyalty is inherently a dumb thing (not calling anyone dumb btw), you should be buying the best thing you can afford and forcing yourself to stick to one brand is basically limiting your options for no good reason.

I've owned AMD CPUs (Athlon XP, Athlon 64), Intel CPUs (from the Core 2 line up to my 6700K), AMD GPUs and Nvidia GPUs. I always buy what is performing best at the time I buy using multiple different sources to formulate my opinion.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

There's a difference between liking a brand and being a fanboy. Fanboys defend their favourite brand beyond the point where it is reasonable and contest irrefutable facts when they don't suit them. Bulldozer was flawed, that doesn't mean you need to be a fanboy to still buy it - as long as you don't lie to anyone else about what they'd be getting.

Fair points, the 9590 was £115 on sale so we the reason it was recommended. Bulldozers problem was AMD but their eggs in the wrong basket. They bet on more FP workloads being offloaded to GPUs and more parallelisation on the x86 side. That with the way Windows delegated tasks to the cores made it even worse. It acted as if each module was one core, when it was more like 1.5 cores per module. But definitely not two whole cores in many ways.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

i'm royal to some brands. gigabyte is one, western didital as well. reason is that their products always work for me and i have products made by them that are more than 10 years old and still work. 

i don't really care about the nvidia/amd debate, i'll just buy the best card i can afford for a particilar build. just as long it's a gigabyte card xD

intel vs amd is also not a thing for me. i think ryzen has bad single thread performance, and that's why i didn't choose it. i don't care about multicore. i have an 8-core dual xeon server for that  *insert sunglasses emoji*

She/Her

19 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I really haven't wanted to admit this, but I think I'm a fanboy of AMD.  Recently I ordered a VEGA 64, I own ryzen and had a bulldozer processor. I actually built someone a FX9590/RX480 PC last year and often find myself recommending AMD products. Okay, it's not exactly AMD, more I like the underdog, the David to your Goliath, the small fry. 

Anyway, I want to hear about your guy's stories of brand loyalty and why you are loyal to said brand.

Shame...

i don't think you arre a fanboy aas well. there is a difference between being loyal to a brand and being a fanboy. 

being loyal to a brand is like me. i use products from certain brands because i have good experiences with them. 

being a fanboy is different. an example is someone i know, who recommends linux for gaming pc's... you can see the problem there, i don't have to go into it. 

fanboys don't care about facts. they tell everyone everything from the other company's terrible. 

in other words, i would consider you a fanboy if you said that intel and nvidia are awful no matter what they release. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

i don't think you arre a fanboy aas well. there is a difference between being loyal to a brand and being a fanboy. 

being loyal to a brand is like me. i use products from certain brands because i have good experiences with them. 

being a fanboy is different. an example is someone i know, who recommends linux for gaming pc's... you can see the problem there, i don't have to go into it. 

fanboys don't care about facts. they tell everyone everything from the other company's terrible. 

in other words, i would consider you a fanboy if you said that intel and nvidia are awful no matter what they release. 

I'm more pissed off with Intel's business practices than their products. I own a GTX 980TI because it was on offer for £240 at the start is the year. Even though the FX was a shitty CPU I never had any issues with it. Nor with my athlon from back in the day which is why I stick with AMD. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I like AMD and my RX480, but I don't think I'll be getting another AMD card to upgrade this 480. Recently the drivers have been completely broken for me. I can't even change the temperature target without something going wrong. I'm not loyal to any brand, but I do tend to stick to ASUS for my motherboards. Always had good experiences.

Gaming PC: i5 8600k @ 4.8GHz | 16GB T-Force Delta RGB @ 3200Mhz | Asus Prime Z370-A | Sapphire Radeon VII (Dead :( ), RX480 8GB | EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 | 120GB Sandisk SSD Plus, 120GB Kingston A400 | 4TB Seagate 7200RPM , 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Phanteks P400 Windows 10, MacOS Catalina

Second PC: i5 3340s @ 2.8GHz | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1333MHz | EVGA 750Ti SC | Cheap £7 250GB WD HDD Windows 7

LaptopLate 2009 MacBook (Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 120GB SSD, 9400m, running Mojave) , Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina (i5, 4GB Ram, 128GB SSD)

Consoles: Xbox One, PS4 Slim, PS3 slim, Xbox 360 fat still going strong after almost 10 years, Original Xbox, PS2, PS1

Phone: Realme 6, Xiaomi Mi A2, Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x, iPhone 6s (jailbroken)

Tablet: iPad Mini 2nd Gen Retina (Jailbroken)

Headphones:  Hifiman HE4xx, Phillips Fidelio X2, Status Audio CB-1,  Fiio E10k DAC, Schiit Magni 3+, Tin T2 IEM's, Astrotec S80

Keyboards:  2x Custom 60% - 1x Gateron Yellow, 1x Box Reds

2 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

I'm more pissed off with Intel's business practices than their products. I own a GTX 980TI because it was on offer for £240 at the start is the year. Even though the FX was a shitty CPU I never had any issues with it. Nor with my athlon from back in the day which is why I stick with AMD. 

i don't care about that. if i can get better performance for my workloads for less money i will buy whatever is available. 

i also don't like Microsoft's business strategies, but switching to Linux and losing 95% of all my games... no way. 

2 hours ago, Connor Price said:

I like AMD and my RX480, but I don't think I'll be getting another AMD card to upgrade this 480. Recently the drivers have been completely broken for me. I can't even change the temperature target without something going wrong. I'm not loyal to any brand, but I do tend to stick to ASUS for my motherboards. Always had good experiences.

try DDU and reinstalling them. i had this issue on an rx460 a while back. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

try DDU and reinstalling them. i had this issue on an rx460 a while back. 

Have done about 4 times now. I have to DDU and re-install every now and again because my games just start crashing with DX11 errors and my Radeon settings just stop working. Overclocking / undervolting tends to break everything for some reason.

Gaming PC: i5 8600k @ 4.8GHz | 16GB T-Force Delta RGB @ 3200Mhz | Asus Prime Z370-A | Sapphire Radeon VII (Dead :( ), RX480 8GB | EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 | 120GB Sandisk SSD Plus, 120GB Kingston A400 | 4TB Seagate 7200RPM , 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Phanteks P400 Windows 10, MacOS Catalina

Second PC: i5 3340s @ 2.8GHz | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1333MHz | EVGA 750Ti SC | Cheap £7 250GB WD HDD Windows 7

LaptopLate 2009 MacBook (Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 120GB SSD, 9400m, running Mojave) , Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina (i5, 4GB Ram, 128GB SSD)

Consoles: Xbox One, PS4 Slim, PS3 slim, Xbox 360 fat still going strong after almost 10 years, Original Xbox, PS2, PS1

Headphones:  Hifiman HE4xx, Phillips Fidelio X2, Status Audio CB-1,  Fiio E10k DAC, Schiit Magni 3+, Tin T2 IEM's, Astrotec S80

3 minutes ago, Connor Price said:

Have done about 4 times now. I have to DDU and re-install every now and again because my games just start crashing with DX11 errors and my Radeon settings just stop working. Overclocking / undervolting tends to break everything for some reason.

reinstall Windows then.. if that's an option. 

She/Her

This was going to me my advice. There are no issues with the Radeon drivers to my knowledge in regards to the RX 480. Most probably a dodgy install, software compatibility issue or maybe even a registry error. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

This was going to me my advice. There are no issues with the Radeon drivers to my knowledge in regards to the RX 480. Most probably a dodgy install, software compatibility issue or maybe even a registry error. 

that's what i'm thinking as well. the radeon drivers mess up sometimes, but DDU and a reinstall usually fixes it for me. 

She/Her

9 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Reinstalling is an option, just one I'd rather not do. I did upgrade to coffee lake without a clean install, but I'd been having these issues long before that.

2 minutes ago, Connor Price said:

Reinstalling is an option, just one I'd rather not do. I did upgrade to coffee lake without a clean install, but I'd been having these issues long before that.

maybe it's an overclock you have on... 

She/Her

maybe it's an overclock you have on... 

Tweaking is the main issue I'm facing, I guess it's just my 480 is a bit dodgy. Leave it stock, and I have no issues except it being loud as hell. If I undervolt and increase the temp target, after a while I'll start getting issues.

i just stay away from TP Link and ASUS. not touching either of those brands again. if i "fanboy" about any brand that would probably be ASRock seeing as they have been a company i have had a really good experience with, but they just seem like the best option objectively in a LOT of cases.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Ben Quigley said:

I actually built someone a FX9590/RX480 PC last year

A minute of silence for the money wasting.

Seriously though there is nothing wrong having preference for a brand, just don't get a shitty product solely because of it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

10 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

A minute of silence for the money wasting.

Seriously though there is nothing wrong having preference for a brand, just don't get a shitty product solely because of it.

The 9590 was £115 so no money wasted. It's fairly decent for the price. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

not really... 70 dollars g4560 outperforms it without breaking the bank on power bills but that is down to personal taste I suppose :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

not really... 70 dollars g4560 outperforms it without breaking the bank on power bills but that is down to personal taste I suppose :P

The G4560 wasn't out when it was built...

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

not really for gaming... pretty craptastic single thread performance. 

She/Her

• i bought a gigabyte's motherboard cos the last one lasted me 5,6 years with no issue
  • also i am a bit pro apple, I admit. They sell things at a higher markup, but their customer service is really good. Also the quality of their stuff is top notch. But I do get why people dislike them. 
  • speaker I use is a UE boom mini, and I think my next speaker is gonna be a UE one too cos this one lasted me more than 6 years. 
  • for mouse I am all for steelseries's sensei, cos mine lasted for 7 years and I am still using it

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.