Google will remove apps which use Android’s Accessibility services for anything other than helping impaired users

D13H4RD

Well, if you’ve been an avid user of Tasker, Lastpass or other apps which utilize Android’s accessibility services for extra functionality, I’ve got bad news.

It’s been reported that Google has sent a message to Android app developers telling them to update their apps so that they don’t use Android’s accessibility features or risk having their app removed from the Play Store and possible infractions to their developer account.

For years, Android has allowed apps to modify the behavior of other applications, using Accessibility Services. While the intended purpose is for developers to create apps for users with disabilities, the API is often used for other functionality (to overlay content, fill in text fields, etc.). LastPass, Universal Copy, Clipboard Actions, Cerberus, Tasker, and Network Monitor Mini are just a few examples of applications heavily using this API.

While Accessibility Services can greatly extend the functionality of applications, they can potentially create a security risk. Once granted the right permissions, the API can be used to read data from other apps. Likely for this reason, Google has sent emails to app developers regarding the usage of Accessibility Services.

Source: http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/12/google-will-remove-play-store-apps-use-accessibility-services-anything-except-helping-disabled-users/

"Like the other policy that basically says that 'apps that crash violate developer policy and can be taken down' this new statement is too vague. If we take this literally then even an app that’s meant to be used by disabled people can be banned because it allows users that are not disabled to use it. There’s no way an app can enforce that. Is an app like AutoInput (an app that helps a lot of disabled folks) not allowed because a lot of non-disabled people can benefit from it too? There’s no way to tell."

Source: Same link as above, quote by Joao Dias, developer of AutoTools

While Google’s reason for this is security, there could be significant ramifications for developers who take advantage of Android’s Accessibility services to add extra functionality which makes their app more useful.

What do you think?

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, Kumaresh said:

So they intended apps to use accessibility services so they could help handicapped people, but app developers misused these features to add extra functionality to their apps easily but introduce security loopholes. But if they prohibit the use of such accessibility features, what will the developers of apps legitimately meant for handicapped people do ? Why not institute a review process which determines whether an app is actually using the accessibility features in the intended manner or not ?

That’s the real issue.

The way Google has mentioned it is extremely vague. 

I find Lastpass’s autofill very useful in versions of Android before Oreo and Tasker is a nice thing to have. While they don’t appear to benefit handicapped users in an obvious manner, they’re still pretty useful.

I think Google needs to clarify. It’s just too vague.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Sounds like Google is starting to take security more seriously. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Sounds like Google is starting to take security more seriously. 

They should, really. 

Android is no longer that one OS that only power users understand. It’s now a mainstream consumer-focused OS. 

The problem is that Google’s explanation for why this is so is too vague. What if your app uses accessibility options for helping impaired users in a not-so-obvious way? What if it was intended for impaired users but non-impaired users end up using it?

So instead of updating the API to include the functionality developers want, they stop allowing developers to use their market place? Android is looking like the worst Open Source project ever. :(

-KuJoe

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

What if your app uses accessibility options for helping impaired users in a not-so-obvious way? What if it was intended for impaired users but non-impaired users end up using it?

I believe what they are saying is that apps can't use accessibility features to perform functions that are not normally allowed. 

Much like Apple I don't think Google wants apps lying to the OS about what they are doing and how they are doing it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

So instead of updating the API to include the functionality developers want, they stop allowing developers to use their market place? Android is looking like the worst Open Source project ever. :(

The irony in that is iOS is an API city.........

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

This is my major gripe with Google.

They don’t seem to have any clear direction. They’re trying to do so many things at once but only a few of them actually work and they tend to kill off stuff that could’ve worked if they had put more effort in them.

I do agree that apps shouldn’t misuse accessibility APIs for reasons other than what it’s intended for. However, they should make a different API so that these apps can retain their functionality. Oreo has an Autofill API for instance.

6 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

However, they should make a different API so that these apps can retain their functionality.

Just develop for iOS. Apple makes APIs every other day it seems xD 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Just develop for iOS. Apple makes APIs every other day it seems xD 

The irony on how a closed-source OS seems more friendly for devs.

Google. Forever vague, forever digging.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

22 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The irony in that is iOS is an API city.........

Well, the Unknown Sources option exists, so it's not as though developers are forced to use the accessibility APIs in a proper manner, and the Play Store is certainly not the only means of getting apps for Android.

The Play Store itself isn't all that open tbh, though Android "openess" remains unfazed if developers choose to disregard the Play Store.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Well, the Unknown Sources option exists, so it's not as though developers are forced to use the accessibility APIs in a proper manner, and the Play Store is certainly not the only means of getting apps for Android.

The Play Store itself isn't all that open tbh, though Android "openess" remains unfazed if developers choose to disregard the Play Store.

That’s true, although encouraging users to go enable “Unknown Sources” is sorta counter-intuitive to Google’s security push 

8 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

That’s true, although encouraging users to go enable “Unknown Sources” is sorta counter-intuitive to Google’s security push 

By enabling that option, the onus is on the user to take responsibility for what is downloaded. Android is (relatively) open in that the choice exists whether to take on that responsibility, or leave it to Google.

That said, assuming that the app from said "unknown source" is confirmed safe, nothing is stopping the user from toggling off that Unknown Sources option, as it won't affect installed apps, regardless of source. (Toggle option on, install apk, toggle option back off, proceed with day).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

6 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

By enabling that option, the onus is on the user to take responsibility for what is downloaded. Android is (relatively) open in that the choice exists whether to take on that responsibility, or leave it to Google.

That said, assuming that the app from said "unknown source" is confirmed safe, nothing is stopping the user from toggling off that Unknown Sources option, as it won't affect installed apps, regardless of source. (Toggle option on, install apk, toggle option back off, proceed with day).

That would indeed work, although this is the stuff experienced users tend to do. 

Encouring laymen to do it to get their favorite apps which happen to use Android’s accessibility services that are removed from Google Play isn’t exactly good in a security PoV.

So Google is taking more pages from Apple’s playbook it seems. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

wait a sec so apps that crash can be removed?

I can use my super unstable non-modified moto g that crashes after using any app for more than 15 minutes to get social media apps removed? Just record it crashing over and over again?

2 minutes ago, KingKeith55 said:

wait a sec so apps that crash can be removed?

I can use my super unstable non-modified moto g that crashes after using any app for more than 15 minutes to get social media apps removed? Just record it crashing over and over again?

Maybe. Perhaps remove the Facebook app? :P

35 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Maybe. Perhaps remove the Facebook app? :P

I'll have to give it a try before I get a new phone. While I don't think it would get removed, it would probably drive their dev team insane trying to figure out why their app is crashing.

Good thing I don't have or use PlayStore

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Oh look, a flashlight app. *This app requires access to your contacts and location*

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

So in order to "improve security " Google will be making a bunch of people download suspicious APKs from untrustworthy sources while enabling a gigantic security risk in order to install the APKs.

Great...

Would it not be simpler to have a large popup warning about the risk when a user installs an app with accessibility features? Apps like Tasker and Llama are rather useful to deal with the random issues regarding androids battery life.

11 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

With Android O this isn't an issue anyways. You can enable Unknown Sources for a specific app. So just install the Amazon App Store and XDA Labs and enable Unknown Sources for those two apps.

There's no real guarantee that apps from the play store are safe either TBH.

11 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

They should, really. 

Android is no longer that one OS that only power users understand. It’s now a mainstream consumer-focused OS. 

The problem is that Google’s explanation for why this is so is too vague. What if your app uses accessibility options for helping impaired users in a not-so-obvious way? What if it was intended for impaired users but non-impaired users end up using it?

They said in their email that it will be up to devs to justify that their app helps user accessibility. Just like other app policies, there's always the option to appeal the removal of you feel it wasn't justified. Whether your appeal gets looked at or not is another issue though >.>

A lot of these apps have very clear benefits for accessibility users. Universal Copy for users with dyslexia, Tasker to help automate tasks for switch users, LastPass for persons with mobility restrictions so they don't have to type passwords every time.

8 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

Would it not be simpler to have a large popup warning about the risk when a user installs an app with accessibility features? Apps like Tasker and Llama are rather useful to deal with the random issues regarding androids battery life.

Stock Android already has this since like... forever... >.>