IS GPU MINING STILL PROFITABLE? - Mining Adventure Part 1

Graphics card stock has long been tapped out due to cryptocurrency miners, but does what they're doing make any sense? Let's find out.

Buy Graphics Cards!
Amazon: http://geni.us/bFc5H
Newegg: http://geni.us/b39hZvA

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Why is it unlisted? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Why is it unlisted? 

Because you're early :D 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

This is also assuming said coin that is going to be mined, or, if you do convert it, the BTC value.

So profitability right now might be whatever number, but your wallet might double in value (or crash and fall.. Stability, like you mentioned in the video).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

19 minutes ago, Name Taken said:

Mining with the Katana: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1904653.0

Why not use a server PSU instead of 2 consumer ATX PSUs for the next build? The Colorful C.B250A-BTC PLUS V20 and C.J1900A-BTC PLUS V20 motherboards seems like it would save the cost of a frame, risers, mess and software problems when you get into more than 8 GPUs.

Colorful-cb250a-btc-plus-v20.jpg

That picture looks like the pinnacle of testosterone PCs.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

Well, I'd love to see a video about comparing the forementioned 19 GPU system with any Antminer hardware, and also whether that Antminer stuff is worth it at all. They seem to sell every piece for months ahead of scedule. 

You should compare how much money you made from mining to how much you would have made if you invested the upfront cost of the rigs directly into Bitcoin Cash or Bitcoin Legacy.

DAMMIT LINUS so many things 

1. DON'T USE NICEHASH

nicehash is pretty terrible they take at least 4% and it's not hard to just do it yourself

2. don't use windows for more than 8 cards

even though windows has the 8 card limit it can be overcome by using 8 nvidia and then up to 8 amd 

or you can just use linux since it does not have the 8 card limit you can easily get it running using ubuntu or thiers free mining linux oses like NVOC and RXOC

3. Nvoc and RXoc is a great replacement for nice hash

nvoc and amoc have profit switching features built in that don't take percentages you can also write up a quick script to do it yourself but most people wont 

4. nice hash pays in bitcoins

since they pay you in bitcoin the transaction fee is quite high its about 4 usd a transaction atm vs under 50 cents for ethereum or other altcoins and if you do want btc you can use exchanges like kraken poloniex or many more to get it

links

http://nvoc-mining-os.com/download-page/

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1984302

38 minutes ago, Name Taken said:

Mining with the Katana: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1904653.0

Why not use a server PSU instead of 2 consumer ATX PSUs for the next build? The Colorful C.B250A-BTC PLUS V20 and C.J1900A-BTC PLUS V20 motherboards seems like it would save the cost of a frame, risers, mess and software problems when you get into more than 8 GPUs.

Colorful-cb250a-btc-plus-v20.jpg

risers are quite cheap there less then 5 dollars a piece and you can get 12 and 18 gpu motherboards for under 20 bucks and use the risers with it quiet easily. also server psus dont tend to have a lot of power connectors and you can buy 1600w consumer power supply to only use one or the 18 gpu motherboard has a built in 3 psu combiner  

7 minutes ago, thewipyk said:

Well, I'd love to see a video about comparing the forementioned 19 GPU system with any Antminer hardware, and also whether that Antminer stuff is worth it at all. They seem to sell every piece for months ahead of scedule. 

it depends on whether or not your paying for power since atm antminers take up 2/3rds of what they make in power cost vs gpu miners that only do 1/3 to 1/4 so it depends though if you do have to pay for power gpu rigs are more profitable 

1/10 not enough Minecraft 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Name Taken said:

Asus B250 Mining Expert for 19 GPUs is $230 on Newegg and add $100 for the cost of risers plus frame.

70 dollars cheaper since colourful will be selling there boards for about 200 usd each also where i buy them b250 boards tend to be only180 

Some possible talking points for follow up video
-Risers, USB vs Older Ribbon
-Sata Power Converters (They are rated at lower wattage then most cards pull and can get crispy)

-220V vs 120V gains

-Pros and cons of 19 GPU rig (what about failures and downtime)
-Hacking server power supplies
-Why are milk crates out of fashion!  I love the ghetto rigs.

-It's not just OS limitations, but running with old Mobos sometimes has limitations, or requires jumpers for PCIe slots.

4 minutes ago, BootDisc said:

Some possible talking points for follow up video
-Risers, USB vs Older Ribbon
-Sata Power Converters (They are rated at lower wattage then most cards pull and can get crispy)

-220V vs 120V gains

-Pros and cons of 19 GPU rig (what about failures and downtime)
-Hacking server power supplies
-Why are milk crates out of fashion!  I love the ghetto rigs.

-It's not just OS limitations, but running with old Mobos sometimes has limitations, or requires jumpers for PCIe slots.

bringing up old ribbon risers isn't really that relevant since they should go die in a hole and just not be used any more i've lost several cards to faulty ribbon risers 

This is fantastic let me just get my 10 GTX 1080 Ti which are just gathering dust.

for the "optimized config", at a BARE MINIMUM ditch the 1080's, they SUCK at mining, ideally populate the WHOLE SYSTEM with undervolted RX580's, 580's are far cheaper to start with and since AMD cards are BETTER at mining you'll get hashrates higher then 1070's for a lower price which means HIGHER PROFIT.

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

for the "optimized config", at a BARE MINIMUM ditch the 1080's, they SUCK at mining, ideally populate the WHOLE SYSTEM with undervolted RX580's, 580's are far cheaper to start with and since AMD cards are BETTER at mining you'll get hashrates higher then 1070's for a lower price which means HIGHER PROFIT.

ehhh they seem to be using mostly equi hash which prefers nvidia but id say they should use undervolted gtx 1060 since you can get them for 270 usd a pop and they can do half the hashrate of a 1080ti

This is Linus Media Group's proposed new main revenue model.

We're seeing the beginning of the documentary chronicling their rise to power.

This is how LTT skyrockets their way onto the list of world's biggest and most profitable companies, by switching from traditional revenue models like advertising, to crypto-mining.

Linus solved the ad-pocalypse.

Boom.

Edited by SupremeChunk
Fleshed out the ridiculousness by a factor of 2.

1 minute ago, SupremeChunk said:

This is Linus Media Group's proposed new main revenue model.

We're seeing the beginning of the documentary chronicling their rise to power.

Is this how LTT skyrockets their way onto the list of world's biggest and most profitable companies?

xD Doubt it they hardly have any gpus most decent scale mines have 500+ cards 

I have a spare 270, a 3470, and a 450w psu. Would it be worth it, or would it just be too weak to make any profit?

xD Doubt it they hardly have any gpus most decent scale mines have 500+ cards 

@Alaradia Yeah I know xD, just a dumb joke scenario.

Hopefully no one actually winds up thinking I'm serious.

Just now, TenThousand said:

I have a spare 270, a 3470, and a 450w psu. Would it be worth it, or would it just be too weak to make any profit?

it will make about 204 usd a year but it will cost 192 for power per year so only 12 buck profit

25 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Pls don't do this. just use that awesome server to run f@h for a few hours and do the world a favour.

I sometimes think Standford and Berkley need to come up with a crypto coin that ties to their clients.  At least if the coins had a bit of value, you could use them to offset the cost of the electricity used to crunch WUs.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU